Catalytic Converter - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Catalytic Converter

I have a 2004 Nissan Murano with 160K miles.

My check engine light came on, and when I took my nissan to the dealer, he said that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced, naturally costing well over $1,000. Does that even happen anymore...? I did some asking around, and many people said that the O2 sensor could be the issue and not the Catalytic Converter. Nissan assures me that it is the catalytic converter. Does this sound right? It does not sound funny, and there are no funny odors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
What was the code?

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#3 Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know it is too late, but there really is no need to take a nine-year-old car with 160,000 miles to the dealer. They just salivate when they see a car like yours pull into the service bay.

Any reputable mechanic can read the codes and perform repairs, and they can do it for a lot less.

Catalytic converters can and do fail. The MO has three cats, two of which are monitored by a set of O2 sensors. The third is not monitored by the engine control system.

The two in question are directly connected to the engine's exhaust manifold. They are called three-way cats and have an MSRP of $567. The rest of your $1,000+ is labor.

The third cat has an MSRP of $840. However, if the dealer claims the error codes are for this cat then he is BS'ing you because it is not checked by the O2 sensors.

Now if you had taken your MO to an independent garage, the parts would be much cheaper. For example, Advance Auto sells the three-way cats for $400 and the third cat for just $100.

I suggest you give them a call. What was the error code? Which cat are they replacing?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#4 Old 01-24-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
I know it is too late, but there really is no need to take a nine-year-old car with 160,000 miles to the dealer. They just salivate when they see a car like yours pull into the service bay.

Any reputable mechanic can read the codes and perform repairs, and they can do it for a lot less.

Catalytic converters can and do fail. The MO has three cats, two of which are monitored by a set of O2 sensors. The third is not monitored by the engine control system.

The two in question are directly connected to the engine's exhaust manifold. They are called three-way cats and have an MSRP of $567. The rest of your $1,000+ is labor.

The third cat has an MSRP of $840. However, if the dealer claims the error codes are for this cat then he is BS'ing you because it is not checked by the O2 sensors.

Now if you had taken your MO to an independent garage, the parts would be much cheaper. For example, Advance Auto sells the three-way cats for $400 and the third cat for just $100.

I suggest you give them a call. What was the error code? Which cat are they replacing?

-njjoe
My cat is rumbling and making noises which i thought was fuel dampers but it wasn't because it was coming from the bottom of the car. What do you guys suggest I do since i pulled codes for knock sensor and cat bank 1? I read that you should check the exhaust manifold for a crack or leak and if it doesn't have any crack or leak replace the o2 sensor. before replacing the cat if i need to where should I order my cat from if I need it?
#5 Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 AM

that rumbling your saying could be the sound of the cat broken up inside?
if You curl up your fist and hit the bottom of the cat. can You hear it rattle broken inside.?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: