Nissan Murano Forum banner

Replace License Plate Bulbs

17K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ikalinin3 
#1 ·
How do you access the license plate bulbs? Do you have to remove the trim inside the rear hatch?

Thanks

Rky

2006 MO SE

#2 ·
Yep. Just did this last night to install my LED plate bulbs. Open the hatch, pop the little recessed handle out (use a flat head screwdriver, pry from front edge and it will pop right out). Remove the 4 flush mount clips from the bottom of the trim panel. Just push the little circle in the center in about 1/4" and then they pry out easily. After that grab the panel on the left or right side where it meets in a V and pull straight out. There are lots of little pop clips scattered around the entire panel so just work your way around and they should all pop out easily.

Once all the fasteners are off be careful as the wiring for your interior lights will still be connected. Reach up there and pull the plugs straight back toward the wires as they don't have any locking mechanism.

Once all that's off it's really easy to see where the light sockets are, simply twist lock to remove the socket and the bulbs just pull out.

When putting the panel back on start by hooking the wires back up, then line the panel up with the latch. Work forward on the left and right popping in the clips until you get to the V. Once secured on both sides you should be able to just press hard around the rest of the panel to get the other clips in.

Now go back to the 4 little clips. Push the center pin back so it's still out about 1/4" instead of being recessed 1/4". Insert the clips and push the center pin flush to lock them. Pop in the little recessed handle on the bottom of the door and you're done.

Curse Nissan under your breath for not including some sort of access panel or exterior access to these damn bulbs.

#5 ·
I bought some LED's over at Amazon late last year, and finally got around to changing my license plate bulbs - mostly because one was burned out.

Honestly I didn't want to do it because I'm scared of messing something up - in this case worried about clips breaking or the back panel breaking.

Here is a video - the video title is for the rear wiper motor repair and license plate light replacement.

http://youtu.be/OZXp6C2XRQk

It was actually very easy but you do have to tug pretty hard to get that back panel off. What a stupid way to get at the lights!

The LED's look great (will post picture later) so have ordered more bulbs to change over most of the inside lights to the brighter whites. They look sharp!

#7 ·
i have an 06. i bought some OEM license plate housings, and cut them open with a grinder, and installed LED circuits to fill entire lens, then I siliconed/glued the housings lenses back together.. its been awesome for some years now. I feel like high quality 194 LED bulbs do NOT exist. i've learned this the hard way, replacing 2 or 3 sets throughout the years. even high quality LEDs dim out or change colors over time, and get weathered. i feel like my current set up with last for years and years to come. i'll post some pictures later tonight :D

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.