User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Couldn't Take out Oil Filter.

Hi Everyone,

I was doing my oil change today. But unfortunately the after draining the oil the oil filter was turned in so tightly that i couldn't even move it a millimeter! So unfortunately i had to leave the old oil filter in and put in the new oil. How bad is this? $%#$%#%# the guy who changed the oil last time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2013, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was doing my oil change today. But unfortunately the after draining the oil the oil filter was turned in so tightly that i couldn't even move it a millimeter! So unfortunately i had to leave the old oil filter in and put in the new oil. How bad is this? $%#$%#%# the guy who changed the oil last time.
How bad is it? That depends on the mileage on the old filter. It shouldn't be too bad if the oil is changed regularly. Just change the oil sooner next time and you should be good. If you want to take the stuck oil filter out, you can take extreme measures - hammer a screw driver into the side of the filter and turn it loose.
#3 Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You'll want to get that old filter off as soon as possible. You can drain the oil you have in there now into into a clean pan, get the oil filter changed and then pour the oil that you have in the clean pan back in. Add more oil as needed to get proper fill. You really want to get a new filter on there.

Did you try using an end cap wrench on that filter. Good end cap wrench and a strong arm should get that filter off. A size 65mm, 14 flute end cap wrench fits the stock Nissan filter and the other brand filters used on the Murano.

Good rule to follow is before you remove the drain plug on a vehicles oil pan, always be sure you can loosen both the oil filler cap and the oil filter.

eeeee
#4 Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 PM

snipe:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman View Post
If you want to take the stuck oil filter out, you can take extreme measures - hammer a screw driver into the side of the filter and turn it loose.
Absolute nonsenscial move to do this! You pierce the oil filter and screw with the structural integrity of the filter to bootand then not be able to get it off and you do have an issue. (I learned this the hard way when i was 15 years old.) 8-) Most anyone that knows anything about wrenching will tell you never do the screw driver through the oil filter stupido thing you suggest.

Oil Filter won't come off, you get a decent end cap wrench and it will come off... plain and no chance of a major screw up.

eeeee
#5 Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I have used the screwdriver trick, but it's a last resort. You have to have some idea how far the threaded mount screws into the filter and you darn sure better miss it. You don't want to damage the end of the threaded tube. Also, as Bill points out, it's a one-way street and you're committed. If the screwdriver tears free of the filter, you're down to using hacksaw blades and elbow grease....and a very dirty and frustrating exercise.

The end cap device may work better, although you'll probably have a very tough time getting it off after the filter yields.

Even better, this oil filter strap wrench has taken off some really tough filters for me. It wraps around the filter and tightens as you wrench on it. The only danger is collapsing the filter...which may begin to happen, but the filter usually comes loose at that point.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#6 Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM

Yes, Pilgrim... A good oil filter strap wrench will do the job. Problem these days with many newer cars and trucks, is that there is often no room to get in and work with a strap wrench. A quality end cap wrench / will always work.. As for the screwdriver pushed through the oil filter.... Never will do that again, I learned my lesson at 15 years old. Fortunately, I found an old mechanic willing to come to my house to help a kid out of a big friggin mess or I would have had to tow my new '65 red fastback Mustang 2+2 to his shop a few miles down the road. The old mechanic told me there is never ever a good reason to drive a screw driver through an oil filter. Said if you can't do it right and with the right tool then pay/let someone that can do the job with the right tool do it. Hmmmmm, funny, I'm older then that old mechanic now and preaching the same gospel.

Oh... as for getting the oil filter free from the grips of the end cap wrench. that is why there is a passage hole where the ratchet plugs in. After the oil filter is removed from the engine you take a punch and hammer it through that passage hole to physically force the oil filter loose from the end cap wrench. Most end caps have this hole and if not you mod it / drill the hole so you have it when needed for a oil filter that is jammed on.

eeeee
#7 Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM

Good points, Bill. I agree, getting that strap wrench on the filter can be extremely difficult in some cases. Good note about the passage hole. Honestly, I had noticed it but not figured out how to use it.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#8 Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Good points, Bill. I agree, getting that strap wrench on the filter can be extremely difficult in some cases. Good note about the passage hole. Honestly, I had noticed it but not figured out how to use it.
IF you ever get a filter jammed onto an end cap wrench it is a pain as usually the oil filter and end cap wrench are slippery, slippery with oil .... very difficult to hang on to/ to deal with. When I get an oil filter jammed in an end cap wrench, (occasionally) I open up the jaws of my bench vice enough where they grab the end cap wrench on its outer edges. THEN, with a large punch I hammer the punch through the passage hole and the filter will pop off the end cap wrench. Unfortunately, if you do not have a bench vice and with the slippery cap and filter, it is almost impossible to get a jammed oil filter off an end cap wrench.. Regardless, I would rather trash a $4.00+ end cap wrench versus say not getting an oil filter off a vehicle.

eeeee
#9 Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Qat

I'm rather fond of the Lisle oil filter tool. It fits on a socket wrench and tightens up to grip the filter when you turn it counter-clockwise.

2010 SL Tinted Bronze/Beige | Leather | Premium | 360°
LED DRLs | Interior LEDs | Aluminum Pedals | All Weather Mats & Cargo Liner | Fumoto Oil Drain Valve | Reese Hitch

#10 Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 PM

Niiiiice!

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#11 Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 AM

OEM/Oil filter "F" cap style wrench (25404) | Oil Filter Wrench | AutoZone.com

Is this the one?

My old oil filter is a Nissan stock one (white). Man... i don't know who did the earlier oil change but he must have been a nut case!

I tried last week to take the screw of the oil tank out and it broke my ratchet, it was screwed in so tight! Well it was a cheap ratchet anyways, then got me a new high quality one and then today was able to take out the screw, but as i said got stuck at the oil filter change!
#12 Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Space allowing - which should be no problem with the MO - this pliers type oil filter wrench will remove any stuck filter for sure. OEM/Oil filter pliers (25320) | Oil Filter Wrench | AutoZone.com Good luck.
#13 Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 AM

Funny, I have one of each type of oil filter wrench mentioned in this thread.. 8-)

eeeee
#14 Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 AM

snipe:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
Can't tell by the ad description. You need a size 65mm, 14 flute end cap wrench. Fits the stock Nissan filter and the other brand filters used on the Murano.

Go to Auto Zone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, etc. and get an end cap wrench that is 65mm, 14 flute. Keep your receipt in case you need to return it.The end grabber oil filter tool that Qat mentioned is also very good. Costs about $12.00. Be sure to get the Lisle part# 63600 that fits filters from 2-1/2 in. to 3-1/8 in. The Murano filter is 2 1/2".

eeeee
#15 Old 02-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The first car I ever bought, a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500, when I was in college, had the oil filter frozen in place. I tried every oil filter wrench I could find to no avail. I broke 2 or 3 wrenches trying to get it off. You know what worked? I drove a screwdriver through the filter and used a hammer to drive the filter off.

It does work, you just have to be careful, but it could be a last resort. Once I got that one off and put on a new gasket, I never had the problem again.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: