DIY - Change your CVT Fluid - Page 10 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
post #136 of 140 Old 07-28-2016, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Starting to give the CVT some attention - 63K miles - no tow, 5 min wife commuter, no leaks or issues. First have to figure out the trick to get the lock off the dip stick. Perfectly designed to snap plastic it seems.
Called the dealer to investigate the fluids etc. They wouldn't be concerned until 100K+. Their routine is no flush, just drain and replace with same temp fluid to avoid displacement variable.
They want some of the old fluid to remain. $25 per quart/litre here for Nissan brand. I expect it will be $400 bill for dealer service.

2009 LE Merlot / Black leather / NAV / moonroof / Illuminated door sill
Weathertech Mats/ Nissan cargo mat
US import into Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 140 Old 07-28-2016, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJAM2009 View Post
Starting to give the CVT some attention - 63K miles - no tow, 5 min wife commuter, no leaks or issues. First have to figure out the trick to get the lock off the dip stick. Perfectly designed to snap plastic it seems.
Called the dealer to investigate the fluids etc. They wouldn't be concerned until 100K+. Their routine is no flush, just drain and replace with same temp fluid to avoid displacement variable.
They want some of the old fluid to remain. $25 per quart/litre here for Nissan brand. I expect it will be $400 bill for dealer service.
Dealer should do a CVT Deterioration Date analysis prior to doing any work on the CVT fluid. That analysis will tell you the condition of the fluid. At only 63K miles, it should be fine - especially if you aren't subjecting your car to any severe driving conditions.
post #138 of 140 Old 07-28-2016, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
[QUOTE=nafddur;618689]Dealer should do a CVT Deterioration Date analysis prior to doing any work on the CVT fluid.

I asked the dealer what type of inspection they do on the fluid check. Another post mentioned some sort of test - name escapes - a shop can do. I assumed it was a Nissan test. Dealer here said they just do a visual test for colour and grit level, nothing more than that. Can you elaborate on the date analysis you mention?

2009 LE Merlot / Black leather / NAV / moonroof / Illuminated door sill
Weathertech Mats/ Nissan cargo mat
US import into Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 140 Old 07-28-2016, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Oh yeah, going back through this thread, I realized that the dealer Consult analysis is indeed a CVT FLUID deterioration date analysis. It has been discussed here many times in recent years.
post #140 of 140 Old 03-07-2017, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changed the CVT fluid on my 2011 Murano SV with 51k miles over the weekend. Had the car since new and feels that it has lost some of its smooth and responsiveness after a few years. Wanted to see if replacing the CVT fluid would restore some of that new car feel!

Had some trouble removing the locking CVT dipstick, but after re-examining photos posted, realized I was pressing on the wrong tab! Once it was removed, I checked the CVT fluid and it was quite low. After 10 minutes of driving and shift into all gears, the fluid was still a tad below the MIN mark! Damn, shouldíve checked this sooner. The service manual said to only use lint-free paper to wipe the dipstick, so I did. On the paper it looks quite clear, with a hint of darkness around the edge of the mark.

Jacked up the car, took out my newly purchased 10mm HEX bit socket (always looking for excuse to buy new tools ), and carefully opened the drain bolt. The bolt was much larger in diameter than the oil pan bolt, and lots of dark fluid came gushing out. Although the fluid looked clear on paper, what came out looked pretty dark to me. About 4.3qt of fluid came out.

I filled with 4.5qt of Nissan NS-2 CVT fluid (clear water-like green color), the level is right around the low mark. With 5qt, itís a tad below the hot mark after 10 minutes of driving, and I left it there.

Now we came to the most important part of the post. Did I notice a difference? Yes, ABSOLUTELY! The car feels quieter, lighter, and more responsive. On local stop/go traffic, the difference is not as obvious, but as soon as I started accelerating, the difference becomes quite clear. The car responds a lot faster, and accelerates a lot more effortlessly. Wow! While I canít say itís good as new, I feel Iíve definitely gotten back some of that new car feel!

So, is $110 (5 qt of CVT fluid) worth it? For me, thatís a definite yes. After all, I do these things not because I want to save money, but because I want the car to perform well. So if you are contemplating whether to replace your CVT fluid or not, and you can afford the cost, Iíd say why not? Youíll prolong the life of the CVT, and likely gain some noticeable improvement in performance. Where else can you find such performance gain for $100 and simple work?

Anyway, here are some pictures:

CVT dipstick inserted 180 degree no locking:

10mm CVT drain bolt:

Almost done draining:

CVT drain plug (M??) [left] and oil pan drain plug (M12-1.25) [right]

CVT rubber gasket, oil pan crush gasket:

Now, the real question is, should I do this again? After all, only 50% of the fluid is new. But at $100 a pop, I think I'll let the frugal side of me take over and ponder about this for a year or two.

2011 SV Platinum

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: