DIY - Change your CVT Fluid - Page 7 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
#91 Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 PM
AJK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sorry fellows. It is already replied ny njjoe. My apologies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJK View Post
sorry fellows. It is already replied by njjoe. My apologies.
AJK-

There is no need to apologize. Most requests for information are usually followed-up with numerous responses.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#93 Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJK View Post
Hi Guys, Please help. I have 2007 Murano with 100,000 miles. I am given two options. One to replace the CVT fluid and the second option is to flush the cvt fluid. Any suggestions.
If a dealer is telling you to do this based on the mileage and not after doing a CVT fluid analysis (or at least doing a physical check and explaining to you why the fluid needs to be changed, ie it's milky, dark in color, smells burned, etc), RUN, don't walk, to another dealer.

As Joe explained, there is NO change interval (either age or mileage) specified by Nissan.
#94 Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 AM

My 2004 Murano has a hex wrench drain plug not a 19mm socket. Can anyone confirm what size hex it is?
#95 Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
my 2004 murano has a hex wrench drain plug not a 19mm socket. Can anyone confirm what size hex it is?
10mm.

You must have the finned aluminum fluid pan versus the steel pan with the 19mm drain plug. On yours you won't need to replace the drain plug washer, you can reuse your original.

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
#96 Old 08-17-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbizzy View Post
10mm.

You must have the finned aluminum fluid pan versus the steel pan with the 19mm drain plug. On yours you won't need to replace the drain plug washer, you can reuse your original.
I do have the finned pan. Thanks for the info on the tool. I'll buy one soon.
#97 Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 AM

Decision on CVT fluid drain

I have read this thread front to back and it seems to be divided into two camps.

1. The "Remove the drain plug and replace around 6-7 quarts of CVT fluid"
2. The "Flush from the cooler hose while leaving the car running and replacing 10-12 quarts"

Not sure which I would choose. My situation is 03 SL with 131K. Bought from dealer at 64k. Unsure if the CVT fluid has ever been changed.

Recommendations?
#98 Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Just drain and fill it bro. Don't even mess around with the cooler because its never really good to run the tranny close to being dry. Get it nice and hot, preferably right after driving some where then drain it for a few hours, fill back up with about 5-6 quarts.

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
#99 Old 10-23-2011, 02:59 AM

With 80K I flushed my CVT fluid today. Jacked up the front and removed the clips of the plastic cover/guard to show the bottom of the radiator. Removed the CVT drain plug with 10mm hex. Then, I removed the driver side cooler hose line under the radiator. Left it dripping for several hours cooked 3 dishes and came back after dinner. I got about 7 quarts from the pan and another 1/2 quart from the cooler line. Cleaned and reinstalled the drain plug and refilled 7 quarts into the dipstick hole. Attached a different hose--I used an old shower hose line thats a perfect fit-- to the aluminum nipple of the cooler line and secured it with a hose clamp. Got the wifey to start the car 5 times/1 quart a time---Filling in new fluid each time. Reinstalled the cvt hose line back to the cooler nipple and secured it with the clamp. Turned on the ignition and checked the cvt fluid level. All is good. Just a little over the upper mark. Test drove and checked for leaks and fluid level again. All is good and reinstalled the plastic cover. Login the work.

You can see on the pix the color of the old cvt fluid. Did not look so bad if you take a drop or two on paper but looking at a gallons worth the color is kinda scary. As it was draining and the sun hits the flow of the old fluid, the color of green is still there and so generally it did not look too bad. No sludge and very little metal shavings found at the bottom of the drain pan. So I am glad I changed it for my peace of mind. Got the NS2 fluid from ebay. A six pack for $67 and another six pack for $75 shipped.

Next project spark plugs 25k from now....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CVT NS2 FLUID FLUSH 1.jpg
Views:	1408
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	16884   Click image for larger version

Name:	CVT NS2 FLUID FLUSH 2.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	16885   Click image for larger version

Name:	CVT NS2 FLUID FLUSH 3.jpg
Views:	1109
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	16886   Click image for larger version

Name:	CVT NS2 FLUID FLUSH 4.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	16887   Click image for larger version

Name:	CVT NS2 FLUID FLUSH 5.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	16888  

#100 Old 09-03-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post
With 80K I flushed my CVT fluid today. Jacked up the front and removed the clips of the plastic cover/guard to show the bottom of the radiator. Removed the CVT drain plug with 10mm hex. Then, I removed the driver side cooler hose line under the radiator. Left it dripping for several hours cooked 3 dishes and came back after dinner. I got about 7 quarts from the pan and another 1/2 quart from the cooler line. Cleaned and reinstalled the drain plug and refilled 7 quarts into the dipstick hole. Attached a different hose--I used an old shower hose line thats a perfect fit-- to the aluminum nipple of the cooler line and secured it with a hose clamp. Got the wifey to start the car 5 times/1 quart a time---Filling in new fluid each time. Reinstalled the cvt hose line back to the cooler nipple and secured it with the clamp. Turned on the ignition and checked the cvt fluid level. All is good. Just a little over the upper mark. Test drove and checked for leaks and fluid level again. All is good and reinstalled the plastic cover. Login the work.

You can see on the pix the color of the old cvt fluid. Did not look so bad if you take a drop or two on paper but looking at a gallons worth the color is kinda scary. As it was draining and the sun hits the flow of the old fluid, the color of green is still there and so generally it did not look too bad. No sludge and very little metal shavings found at the bottom of the drain pan. So I am glad I changed it for my peace of mind. Got the NS2 fluid from ebay. A six pack for $67 and another six pack for $75 shipped.

I am not sure if my last post was saved since I may have accidently hit the enter key before I was done. Sorry. Your post was very helpful but I need some clarity on the part after you disconnected the cooler hose. Did you add 5 more quarts? Did you run it only long enough for 1 quart to empty out, then turned the engine off so you could add in 1 quart, then did that 5 more times? That would mean you added a total of 7 +5 = 12 quarts. The manual only says that the total capacity is about 10.5 quarts but I think that's using the continuous flush method without removing the drain plug and that wastes more fluid. Please clarify.

David
#101 Old 09-03-2012, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Just be aware that the COLOR of gear oil or motor oil means nothing. Color simply means that it has been in use. Without analysis, you don't know what condition it's in.

But....I'm not going to argue with changing any oil at 80K miles. It may be early, but I agree that peace of mind is worth a good deal.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#102 Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 PM

Did a drain and fill with NS-2 (12 quarts ebay $110 shipped), meansured the drain, it only coughed up 4.5 quarts. Refilled with 4.5 quarts, shifted throught the gears and was just below the "HOT" line.

09 w\ 35K.

didn't really notice a change.

Do the 2009-12 have less capacity? I see alot of posts with 6-7 quarts on a D & F.

2009 Murano SL
2005 Mazda6 (Mazdaspeed heavily modded)
2003 Silverado 1500
#103 Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sandrof View Post
I am not sure if my last post was saved since I may have accidently hit the enter key before I was done. Sorry. Your post was very helpful but I need some clarity on the part after you disconnected the cooler hose. Did you add 5 more quarts? Did you run it only long enough for 1 quart to empty out, then turned the engine off so you could add in 1 quart, then did that 5 more times? That would mean you added a total of 7 +5 = 12 quarts. The manual only says that the total capacity is about 10.5 quarts but I think that's using the continuous flush method without removing the drain plug and that wastes more fluid. Please clarify.
Yes, first I raised the front and drained and filled about 7 quarts including the fluid that came out of the cooler line. Then, drain from the cooler line, 1 quart at a time, start and turn off the engine every time. Add a new quart each time till I see clear fluid coming out of the drain hose connected from the cooler nipple--I did 5 quarts. Maybe 4 would have worked but since I was flushing it I just went for it maxing out the new fluid I bought from ebay. Reason for the on and off is to avoid running the CVT dry because you cannot fill in the new ns2 as fast as its draining out while the engine is running.

A few members have done the same procedure before me. I decided to do the fluid changed after I replaced my leaking driver side axle seal months before. I did not like the color of the ns2 fluid that came out of the seal and I felt 80k/7 years is ok time to do it. Pilgrim is correct that color does not say much about the fluids actual condition but on regular tranny fluids-red color- you can tell when to change it by looking at the color and smelling the fluid off the dipstick. This entire procedure was done mostly for my peace of mind. I plan to keep the car forever, so I want no excuse from the cvt fluid causing any problem. Many just like doing the drain and fill. I want to remove as much of the old fluid as I can before filling with the new fluid. Good luck.
#104 Old 12-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post

This was a very good procedure for flushing the CVT vice the directions in the service manual. Did the same thing with having the wifey turn on/off the Murano to drain about a quart at a time. I only ended up needing 11 quarts as new fluid was coming out by the 10th quart. Did the 11th just to be sure everything old was out that could come out.
#105 Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
My MO just passed the 95k mile mark a day or two ago. Since buying the MO back in late 2007 with about 44k miles on it, I've yet to change the CVT fluid. Should I be doing this now? If not, when? Thx.

2005 Murano S_Black_2WD

Repairs to Date (all done myself): Lower Control Arms, Front Right Axle Half Shaft, High Pressure Power Steering Hose, Oil Pan, Front & Side Motor Mounts, Coolant Drain/Refill, Drive Belts, Front Struts,

Repairs Coming Soon: Camshaft Position Sensors O-rings (leaking oil), Rear Shocks, Spark Plugs, Valve Cover (if leaking oil).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: