Oil capacity? - Page 3 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 39 Old 06-20-2011, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Make it a habit of checking the dipstick between oil changes and right before changes/draining. It will eliminate guessing and assumptions.

I noticed my MO started consuming oil on the 4th year. No external signs of oil burning/leaking other than the dipstick level going down between changes. On its 7th year and 79k miles it burns about 1 quart in 5k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 06-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
bg-

As you well know, the MO's dipstick is notorious for not being user-friendly. It is plausible the last bloke who changed your oil misread the stick and did not add the proper amount.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #33 of 39 Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That is what I was also thinking and that bloke would be the Nissan Dealership.

The good news is that my MO has been running top notch. No issues regarding power or startup.

Hopefully no damage has occurred. I brought the rest of my 5 quart bottle of Extended Life Mobile-1 oil with me to work and plan to add another quart before I leave. I will then re-check the dredded dipstick when I get home and see if it is at the proper level after sitting.

Once again, thanks all for the feedbacks and advice.

2014 Midnight Garnet AWD SL w/SmartStart

SOLD - 05 Merlot AWD S w/Convenience Package, Tow Package, Sirius Radio

Upgrades:
- OEM Homelink Mirror, Tweeters, FOG (on with parklight)
- 2007 OEM Chrome HVAC Knobs, Alum. Rear Protector, Wheels
- Alum. Pedals & LED Lights in Vents

For Sale:
- OEM Xenon HID Headlights (LT & RT)
post #34 of 39 Old 06-21-2011, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
I've seen cars with 5-quart crankcases run 3 quarts low with no engine damage. You're fine.

To check the oil, pull over, fill up, leave the car parked, go inside, pee, get a fresh Coke and have a few sips, then come back and check the dipstick. Elapsed time of 10-15 minutes is about right. WORST dipstick design and functionality in any of the many, many, many vehicles I have owned.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #35 of 39 Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM

I checked the oil last night after dinner and the level was in between the H-L level reading on the dip. So it must be burning oil. I went extra long on the oil change this time around (6k miles) because I was doing it myself for the first time and was waiting for parts through the mail. So I estimate 1/2 quart at 3000 mile intervals.

I normally change my oil within 4k since I purchased it new. So, for it to be burning oil at all (even at 113k miles) just pisses me off.

Upgrades:

For Sale:
post #36 of 39 Old 06-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Never heard of a 7 year old car with original engine that does not consume some oil. Nothing to worry about. Its just engine life.
post #37 of 39 Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun View Post
I checked the oil last night after dinner and the level was in between the H-L level reading on the dip. So it must be burning oil. I went extra long on the oil change this time around (6k miles) because I was doing it myself for the first time and was waiting for parts through the mail. So I estimate 1/2 quart at 3000 mile intervals.

I normally change my oil within 4k since I purchased it new. So, for it to be burning oil at all (even at 113k miles) just pisses me off.
Chill. Changing oil doesn't prevent a car with more than 100K miles on it from using a little bit of it.

Jeez man, if you're going 6K miles and using a quart or less, your oil consumption rate is excellent and you have absolutely NOTHING to complain about!!! That's better than many brand new cars!!

I don't understand where anyone gets the idea that cars should not use any oil. Cars will absolutely use some oil, it's part of their operation.

I personally have driven a Datsun 280Z that was burning a quart every 800 miles when I sold it. It never fouled a plug and ran very well. After I sold it, I saw it running around town constantly for at least another two years after that. Feeding it a quart of oil every couple of fil-ups was easy to do.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #38 of 39 Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM

Didn't mean to sound all rattled, it's just that there appears to be a lot of things starting to surface all at one on this thing - leaking/rusted oil pan (replaced), lower ball joints (replaced), wet bottom (near CVT and AC), intermittent shake in steering (possible wheel bearings), door ajar light gremlins (recently off), rear door lock gremlins (lock/unlock half the time).

I am okay with some wear and tear replacement as a vehicle puts on mileage, but some stuff shouldn't have these issues, like the rusting oil pan.

I thought I never burned oil on my GM cars that I kept to near 200k, however, it could have been that I never measured the amount of oil that I was draining out.

Thanks for the reassurance guys, I guess I just needed to vent.

-biggun

Upgrades:

For Sale:
post #39 of 39 Old 07-09-2011, 07:43 PM

In 40 years, I've never measured the oil coming out of a motor. All I care about is that it's within the operating range on the dipstick and being changed at appropriate intervals.

I agree, the rusting oil pans that i hear about here are among the oddest problems I have ever heard. I've never run into another vehicle with this problem. it's like Nissan forgot to spec rust prevention on their oil pans!

There are typical wear points on every model. The ball joints tend to be one on the Murano, and the CV axle seals seem to be another. Electrical issues like door locks and lights don't tend to be as common. (If you had an Audi, I could reel off a list of parts to watch from steering rack through door switches. But I love driving Audis.)

Some cars burn a bit of oil, others don't. people have different perspectives on this. The forums that are populated with guys who do complete engine rebuilds and get deep into other mechanical repairs and upkeep tend to be much less sensitive about this. This forum tends to be visited by folks who aren't as involved with major rebuilds and overhauls.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: