Radio replacement in older MO - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 03-15-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Radio replacement in older MO

I don't know when Nissan changed the dashboard, but I have the 2004 version and I really need to change out the OEM radio. Yes, I have the Bose system with the 6 CD changer in dash. Radio reception has always been pretty bad, but lately it's become unacceptable. Other car is a new (08) M35x and that radio (Bose) has excellent reception.
I'm content with the speaker setup, I'm just interested in getting a new drop-in head end unit. I don't want to do a lot of D&C to the existing console/dash. I looked at Consumer Reports and they give the Murano a large black dot for the audio system for 04. Not a surprise.
So, does anyone with this generation Murano have any experience in putting a new radio in without a total console makeover?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-15-2009, 10:48 AM

I hate to be the bearer of BAD News, but you can't replace the OEM Radio without loosing all your enviromental controls. If you want a new head unit it will cost, I got quoted $3000 to fabricate a new console and install a new double din unit. I would browse through the gallery and check out the various audio upgrades that have been done.

I attached a photo from "jaak" to show you why we as murano owners have to settle for the factory unit and not aftermartkets unless we want to shell out some cash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8302controlsback.jpg
Views:	1297
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	15129  

2005 SL AWD Sunlit Copper, Sunfroof, 8000K HID Headlights and Fogs, Tinted Front Windows, Momo Gear Shift, Black Side Step Nerf Bars, Incubus Paranormal Black 18in Wheels, 07 Cluster, LED Tail Lights, Color Display.

AUDIO: Bose 6 Disc CD w/ Sirius Sat Radio, JL Stealthbox, JL SLASH 250/1v2 Mono Amp, JL SLASH 300/4v2 4 Channel Amp, Infinity Kappa 60.7cs (Front & Rear)
post #3 of 14 Old 03-15-2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Pinspector-

The 2003 - 2007 MOs all have the same dash configuration. The 2009 was the first model with the redesigned dash. (There is no 2008 model year.)

Unfortunately, only a handful of MO owners have successfully added a non-OEM radio to the MO. In each case it was a custom installation. There is no drop-in replacement for the OEM head-unit.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #4 of 14 Old 03-15-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

No, guys, sorry about the confusion. Although I might like an aftermarket, good quality head end, I will be happy with a Nissan Murano replacement unit. I've heard that the 2005 or 2006 radios are significantly better than the 04. Anyone know what year Nissan changed the dashboard?
Thanks again!
post #5 of 14 Old 03-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinspector
I've heard that the 2005 or 2006 radios are significantly better than the 04. Anyone know what year Nissan changed the dashboard?
Thanks again!
P-

To the best of my knowledge the radios have remained virtually the same from the 2003 through 2007 model years. There are two versions - the standard and the upgraded BOSE model.

The dash was redesigned in 2008 with the "second-generation" 2009 model.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #6 of 14 Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM

there were 3 for sale on ebay today. that would be your best bet on finding a new head unit.

2005 SL AWD Sunlit Copper, Sunfroof, 8000K HID Headlights and Fogs, Tinted Front Windows, Momo Gear Shift, Black Side Step Nerf Bars, Incubus Paranormal Black 18in Wheels, 07 Cluster, LED Tail Lights, Color Display.

AUDIO: Bose 6 Disc CD w/ Sirius Sat Radio, JL Stealthbox, JL SLASH 250/1v2 Mono Amp, JL SLASH 300/4v2 4 Channel Amp, Infinity Kappa 60.7cs (Front & Rear)
post #7 of 14 Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Pinspector
...I will be happy with a Nissan Murano replacement unit...
Since in your case reception has progressively gotten worse, it is possible that the antenna connection, and/or its grounding has become loose. Some early MOs improved reception by tightening the nut that holds down the antenna to the roof. Try that first.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
post #8 of 14 Old 03-15-2009, 06:43 PM

I have a similar problem. CD player is starting to skip when it first starts up, radio reception is getting worse. But there is no way to upgrade anything.

Anyway, I second the notion about the antenna ground. Early on there was a known problem that the antenna was not grounded well to the metal because the nut did not penetrate the paint. I went in and did the fix on the tech note by myself and it did improve the reception a lot. I guess I need to go do it again. That was about 4 or 5 years ago, it could have corroded.

Scott
post #9 of 14 Old 03-16-2009, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Actually there are a couple of functions or buttons from 2003-2005 radios that are not on the 2006-2007. So changed came in 2006. No pause and sat buttons and presets have changed. I don't have pictures right now to show a side-by-side comparison but I do recall a thread which had a comparison...do a search and you probably wil find it. I'll post the link if I find in later on.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-13-2009, 10:44 PM

My reception is terrible. My roof has been leaking.

I just purchase an 06 S. There were stains on the headliner that i did not notice when I purchased it last week.

Today the dealer had a "leak guy" seal the windshield and antenna base, but did not remove the head liner to tighten the nut.

Has anyone outlined or illustrated the process of getting at the antenna?

Thanks
Mike
post #11 of 14 Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 PM

You do not need to remove the headliner for that. The nut is accessible from under the front map lights. Pop the lenses, then grab the inner housing and pull it out! That simple.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
post #12 of 14 Old 08-15-2009, 01:34 PM

yes thanks, I figured it out. I looked at the nut. Very clean. I scraped under the nut, and put it all back together tight. No improvement.

Next day ... I start the MO up for a drive .... AND NOW my Passanger Air Bag Check light is blinking .... GRRRRR. This has been one let down after another in less than 2 weeks of ownership.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-31-2009, 03:50 PM

hey all, i tried what zebelkhan suggested for the antenna and it worked great, also the nut that was holding the antenna was loose i was able to talk off the nut with my hands, tightened the nut up and now get great reception thanks zebelkhan for the tips.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-31-2009, 04:26 PM

I am glad it worked for you.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: