Poor FM Radio Reception: Widespread Problem? No Recalls? - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
#16 Old 01-03-2005, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Marcsut99,

Please let me know if you have any luck with your dealer. I told my dealer I wasn't happy with the radio reception and they needed to do something. They said they would look at it again when I bring it in for service. They're very nice but they really don't know what to do about.

The sales manager said he'd help me with the cost of the SAT if I wanted to go that route. Problem is, I really like the local stations.

For what its worth, I spoke to a Nissan service manager in CA or AZ when I was researching SAT radio. He told me its a known problem and Nissan has been putting pressure on the radio manufacturer to fix it.

I've tried repositioning the antenna and its makes very little difference at all.

Ray

2004 SL AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 01-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7

Guess I was double lucky

Previous Owner of, The Mod Mo, 05, SL, FWD, Platinum, Charcoal Leather, Touring, Technology Pkgs., TPMS etc. Chrome Wheels, Roof Rack Bbars. Cargo Protector. Extended Warranty, X-Tire, AutoMate. Leatherique treated leather. Diamond Window Tint, Tires 3 step balanced. Stainless Steel Laser Cut Grill. Glass VIN etch, Debadged. Silver Painted Calipers. 1300F Ceramic painted Muffler. B-Quite Supreme, sound matting. External Sound ndercoated. White Led Parking Lights. Led Front Door Entrance Lights. Yellow Ion Fogs. Silver-Amber Front Turn Signals. Hella 100 Watt @ 5000K Driving Lights. SAT receiver–Delphi XM Roady2 Hidden Antenna install. Fan cooled Inverter AC to Xbox. MTX 200 watt auto on Amp deciated power to Bose Sub Woofer. PAC-Niss dual aux in for Sat and X Box audio. Generator Labs NoNag modded Rear Camera. “NAV Box" W/Modded X Box X2 Chip. DVD’s, MP3 & JPEG pics ,160 gig HD / Wireless Lynksis 802.11G Ethernet link. Runs Xbox Media Center. rear Bumper Protector. Selectable Horns: OEM MO/WoLo air. Tinted Tails-Bright bulbs. Tweeters tilted + 19uf mod. Lower Grill Stone Shield. Front Floor Amber Courtesy Lights. Chrome over Stainless Rocker Bars. Wireless LED Turn Signal Mirrors. Top mounted Led Stop Light modded with The backoff.
#18 Old 01-03-2005, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the info Ray. It sure is frustrating, especially considering I've only had the car a month. If I don[t get anywhere with the dealer, I'll be sure to contact the head office..
#19 Old 01-03-2005, 03:09 PM

A little good reading.:

After which you might want to sand the inside of the roof area where the nut washer etc make contact. The effect of the angle of the antenna will not be noticeable if the antenna is not grounded properly or if the receiver is operating above the RF limit point, other wise there is an important detectable difference, you may not be able to tell as I said when station received signal is above the automatic RF gain limit.

Follows is a useful quotes:

Antenna's fields are distorted by nearby objects (particularly metal ones). Avoid placing the antenna near a distorting object, to insure proper performance.

Because these antennas also have a vertical polarization component antennas that are mounted vertically will perform better than ones that are mounted horizontally.

Keep the antenna as far away as practical from sensitive circuitry such as A/D converters, clock signal traces, and other noise generators. Otherwise you may find that the signals couple onto the antenna coaxial cable or CRFM board. If this happens, these signals will

1. Be radiated by the receice signal and

2. Be conducted into the receiver, making it less sensitive to the desired control channel signals.

Use of connectors and interconnecting cable should be minimized. Each of these items has some RF loss associated with it. For cable runs longer than 5 feet, we recommend Belden RF cable type 9913 or better. Loss in the transmit chain allows less of the transmitter's power to get to the antenna to be radiated. Loss in the receive chain causes less of the received power to get from the antenna to the receiver circuitry for decoding. In fringe areas these additional tenths of dB may mean the difference between working and not working.

Do not paint the hole through which your antenna connects. Paint near the antenna hole or antenna connector hole will prevent good contact between the connector and the grounded case.

Previous Owner of, The Mod Mo, 05, SL, FWD, Platinum, Charcoal Leather, Touring, Technology Pkgs., TPMS etc. Chrome Wheels, Roof Rack Bbars. Cargo Protector. Extended Warranty, X-Tire, AutoMate. Leatherique treated leather. Diamond Window Tint, Tires 3 step balanced. Stainless Steel Laser Cut Grill. Glass VIN etch, Debadged. Silver Painted Calipers. 1300F Ceramic painted Muffler. B-Quite Supreme, sound matting. External Sound ndercoated. White Led Parking Lights. Led Front Door Entrance Lights. Yellow Ion Fogs. Silver-Amber Front Turn Signals. Hella 100 Watt @ 5000K Driving Lights. SAT receiver–Delphi XM Roady2 Hidden Antenna install. Fan cooled Inverter AC to Xbox. MTX 200 watt auto on Amp deciated power to Bose Sub Woofer. PAC-Niss dual aux in for Sat and X Box audio. Generator Labs NoNag modded Rear Camera. “NAV Box" W/Modded X Box X2 Chip. DVD’s, MP3 & JPEG pics ,160 gig HD / Wireless Lynksis 802.11G Ethernet link. Runs Xbox Media Center. rear Bumper Protector. Selectable Horns: OEM MO/WoLo air. Tinted Tails-Bright bulbs. Tweeters tilted + 19uf mod. Lower Grill Stone Shield. Front Floor Amber Courtesy Lights. Chrome over Stainless Rocker Bars. Wireless LED Turn Signal Mirrors. Top mounted Led Stop Light modded with The backoff.
#20 Old 01-04-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GripperDon
Is this true? Clear when not moving but engine running. Crackles associated with vehicle motion?
I also have the problem with my '04.

The nut has been tightened, still the problem.

There is definitly an issue with the radio, a couple of stations are great, but a couple that are the strongest in the area basically don't get any usable reception.

It's almost like the tuning frequency is not correct on the higher end of the FM band...
#21 Old 01-04-2005, 11:54 AM

Did anyone just try ground one end of a wire and then touching something metal on the radio itself? Sounds like the radio has a bad ground and this would be a very simple thing to check.
#22 Old 03-01-2005, 04:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to Spin_Echo
Can anyone report suboptimal radio reception on 05 models?

2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD
Midnight blue, latte leather
SL touring pkg, VDC, Tech pkg
Dawn side moldings, etched glass, Disklok Chrome steering wheel lock.
#23 Old 03-01-2005, 05:44 AM

radio

So I finally took my Murano into another dealer to have them look at the radio. This dealer is also a very large one and have never heard of this problem at all with the Murano. The service manager said the biggest issues they've seen is with the CD players. They have ordered a new radio which they will be replacing tomorrow. I will report back if this fixes the problem..Marcus
#24 Old 03-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spin_Echo
Can anyone report suboptimal radio reception on 05 models?
Sorry, my radio is fine on my '05.

2005 Murano SL AWD - Midnight Blue/Charcoal, Touring, Tech, VDC
#25 Old 03-01-2005, 12:14 PM

05 Great. Antenna is correct design, electrically the right length mechanically good also. Low SWR. !!GRIP

#26 Old 03-18-2005, 09:12 AM

Re: radio

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcsut99
So I finally took my Murano into another dealer to have them look at the radio. This dealer is also a very large one and have never heard of this problem at all with the Murano. The service manager said the biggest issues they've seen is with the CD players. They have ordered a new radio which they will be replacing tomorrow. I will report back if this fixes the problem..Marcus
Since you did report back I presume the problem still exists ?

I was looking at the service manuals for something and noticed that there is an antenna amplifier in the schematic.

I wonder if there is something going on with that as opposed to the radio.

I live about 20 miles as the crow flies from most of the Boston transmitters. I generally get all of the stations, except for WBCN, pretty good.

When I go out another 15 miles and do a station scan, the radio hits 5 stations. WBCN is almost non existant.
When I go another 5 miles, WBCN is gone altogether. For those not in the area, WBCN has the Patriots broadcast in the fall and is pretty stong signal, I could get it very clearly in my old vehicle another 40 miles past where it is gone in this vehicle.
#27 Old 03-18-2005, 11:20 AM

The major problem is the antenna, while very fashionable, sucks.

The Nissan Murano... Love at first drive!
But this is what I drive these days... Does a 12.21 second 1/4 mile @117.7 mph.
Coming next spring... a 440 Hemi. That should kick some behind.
#28 Old 03-18-2005, 12:26 PM

I've got an 03 with antenna in the normal 40ish° position. I tighten the bolt myself an although no issues prior to tighten it I have not had a problem with radio reception.
#29 Old 03-18-2005, 08:08 PM

Best position for reception is straight up, but it looks stupid. Second best is on the sexy angle, worst is flat after a car wash pushes it down.

In the normal position, it's OK as an antenna, but not a stellar performer. If you find it's really bad, then there's a TSB for ensuring the ground is good.

There is much room for improvement, but it shouldn't be terrible.

The Nissan Murano... Love at first drive!
But this is what I drive these days... Does a 12.21 second 1/4 mile @117.7 mph.
Coming next spring... a 440 Hemi. That should kick some behind.
#30 Old 04-04-2005, 04:52 PM

The continuing saga...

Further to my previous posts regarding the poor radio reception in my Murano:

So about 3 weeks ago I had the dealer completely replace the radio. The result was the reception was just as crappy as the original. But now in cold weather, the CD player would skip like crazy (the original didn't). AHH! SO I call the dealer up. The service manager said he would order yet another radio and replace that, hoping to fix the CD player.

So just this morning I was in at the dealer and they replaced the radio AGAIN. Well it's not very cold out today, so I'm not sure if the CD player skips but the reception is still ****ty.

The manager at the dealer told me these tidbits:

- All Nissan stereos are made by Clarion despite the "BOSE" label on the dash.

- They've had TONS of problems across the board with these Clarion stereos, particularly in the Murano and Infinity, primarily with the CD players skipping in cold weather. The radio reception issue isn't one they get a lot of business for.

- When you get a "new" replacement, it isn't exactly that. It's almost always a "refurb" unit back from Clarion.

He seemed pretty fed up and apparenly Nissan is really giving them a hard time about all these problems.

Well there I have it: 2 replaced radios in my 4 month old Murano, several hours spent at the dealer, and the original issue of bad reception still isn't fixed. Nice.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: