Poor FM Radio Reception: Widespread Problem? No Recalls? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
#1 Old 01-02-2005, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poor FM Radio Reception: Widespread Problem? No Recalls?

As the owner of a new Murano, I must say I am very dissapointed at the poor and crackly reception I get with FM stations. A quick google of this problem shows I am not alone here:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=3&o=&fpart=1

Here's the crux of this issue as posted by someone else:

There is a TSB issued that basically requires the dealer to tighten up the mounting plate for the AM/FM antenna. Apparently they weren't all tightened properly when they were originally assembled.

TSB # NTB03059

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...8.asp?mscssid=

I plan on taking mine in really soon and hope I don't get a hassle from the dealer. Given the this is not a new problem, it sucks that mine has the same issue, given it's a new car and Nissan did nothing to fix it yet.

Anyone else have the same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2005, 10:37 AM

Marcsut99,

The poor radio reception is a real problem for me as well. The TSB is for '03 models up to a certain date (mine is an '04) when I complained about the radio they did check the connection but they said it was fine.

The dealer told me the issue is do to the small antenna, I really don't feel thats the case. I believe its the radio itself. Or maybe it's the match of the two units.

I wish we could make a big enough stink to force them to have a recall to resolve this issue.

In this day and age there's should be no excuse to have such poor reception...

Ray

2004 SL AWD
#3 Old 01-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7

a small advise, The antenna will be better if it is up straight, it maximizes the ground plane effect of the roof. Secondly pop off the map light assembly and you can see the nut to tighten. No matter the year you "could" check and make sure it's tight yourself. My 04 and 05 both had great reception so they are no all that way.

Previous Owner of, The Mod Mo, 05, SL, FWD, Platinum, Charcoal Leather, Touring, Technology Pkgs., TPMS etc. Chrome Wheels, Roof Rack Bbars. Cargo Protector. Extended Warranty, X-Tire, AutoMate. Leatherique treated leather. Diamond Window Tint, Tires 3 step balanced. Stainless Steel Laser Cut Grill. Glass VIN etch, Debadged. Silver Painted Calipers. 1300F Ceramic painted Muffler. B-Quite Supreme, sound matting. External Sound ndercoated. White Led Parking Lights. Led Front Door Entrance Lights. Yellow Ion Fogs. Silver-Amber Front Turn Signals. Hella 100 Watt @ 5000K Driving Lights. SAT receiver–Delphi XM Roady2 Hidden Antenna install. Fan cooled Inverter AC to Xbox. MTX 200 watt auto on Amp deciated power to Bose Sub Woofer. PAC-Niss dual aux in for Sat and X Box audio. Generator Labs NoNag modded Rear Camera. “NAV Box" W/Modded X Box X2 Chip. DVD’s, MP3 & JPEG pics ,160 gig HD / Wireless Lynksis 802.11G Ethernet link. Runs Xbox Media Center. rear Bumper Protector. Selectable Horns: OEM MO/WoLo air. Tinted Tails-Bright bulbs. Tweeters tilted + 19uf mod. Lower Grill Stone Shield. Front Floor Amber Courtesy Lights. Chrome over Stainless Rocker Bars. Wireless LED Turn Signal Mirrors. Top mounted Led Stop Light modded with The backoff.
#4 Old 01-02-2005, 12:19 PM

I agree with GripperDon. The position of the antenna makes a big difference in the reception on my '04. When positioned correctly, reception is great.

'09 Murano LE Platinum Graphite
#5 Old 01-02-2005, 12:24 PM

Hey Ray,

Well mine is a new '04 and still has the problem too. I've printed off stuff from the net regarding this issue to show the dealer as I'm taking it in tomorrow AM. I'm a bit dissapointed as there's four things
I need to have looked at

1) Bad radio reception
2) Right Front Mud guard is loose (not as tightly secured nor flush like the left)
3) Passenger side wiper does not wipe cleanly in a large spot.
4) White gummy stuff on the left part of engine heat shield and on on tube that runs verically beside the power steering resivoir. <--no I did not get it rustproofed.

Kind've a bummer that this stuff needs addressing expecially since the car is a month old and only has 1200km's on it. Needless to say I'll be raising a *BIG* stink if this stuff is not addressed to my satisfaction, ESPECIALLY the radio, which was a deal maker for me getting this car.

Cheers!

Marcus
#6 Old 01-02-2005, 12:27 PM

I've tried positioning the antenna completely vertically to no avail. I still get the same scratchy sound on FM stations, which is more pronounced with "s" words. Like if someone says "smile", the static kinda makes it sound like "chmile". VERY annoying.
#7 Old 01-02-2005, 03:40 PM

Get nut tightened or DIY

Previous Owner of, The Mod Mo, 05, SL, FWD, Platinum, Charcoal Leather, Touring, Technology Pkgs., TPMS etc. Chrome Wheels, Roof Rack Bbars. Cargo Protector. Extended Warranty, X-Tire, AutoMate. Leatherique treated leather. Diamond Window Tint, Tires 3 step balanced. Stainless Steel Laser Cut Grill. Glass VIN etch, Debadged. Silver Painted Calipers. 1300F Ceramic painted Muffler. B-Quite Supreme, sound matting. External Sound ndercoated. White Led Parking Lights. Led Front Door Entrance Lights. Yellow Ion Fogs. Silver-Amber Front Turn Signals. Hella 100 Watt @ 5000K Driving Lights. SAT receiver–Delphi XM Roady2 Hidden Antenna install. Fan cooled Inverter AC to Xbox. MTX 200 watt auto on Amp deciated power to Bose Sub Woofer. PAC-Niss dual aux in for Sat and X Box audio. Generator Labs NoNag modded Rear Camera. “NAV Box" W/Modded X Box X2 Chip. DVD’s, MP3 & JPEG pics ,160 gig HD / Wireless Lynksis 802.11G Ethernet link. Runs Xbox Media Center. rear Bumper Protector. Selectable Horns: OEM MO/WoLo air. Tinted Tails-Bright bulbs. Tweeters tilted + 19uf mod. Lower Grill Stone Shield. Front Floor Amber Courtesy Lights. Chrome over Stainless Rocker Bars. Wireless LED Turn Signal Mirrors. Top mounted Led Stop Light modded with The backoff.
#8 Old 01-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Just wanna help

DIY the TSB and use a 22mm deep wall socket

Yes, i did what the TSB instructed. Very easy.

Coincidently, I have a 22 mm deep wall oxygen sensor socket that i used to replace 02 sensor in my other car. Fit like a charm on the antenna's bolt.

It was very easy to do, 20 minutes and done.
It sure fix the radio reception.
Mostly now I listen to XM though.

Chronicle: >>2003 SL Super Black AWD Murano / Navteq Intelinav Software/ Pro-kit Mount & Holux GPS Receiver / Magnet Bra / Autopark Sensor/ XM Roady SAT Radio / OEM HID bixenon headlight retrofit / Trim-
Gard Chrome Body Side Molding / Nissan Murano Decals/PAC adapter/ Cargo Net
-- SOLD on 07/20/2006. Thank you everyone!
#9 Old 01-02-2005, 05:36 PM

#10 Old 01-02-2005, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
antenna

Quote:
Originally posted by GripperDon
Get nut tightened or DIY
How do you get the dome light out

Thank you
You have a 03 and a 05 ??

I have a 05, and the drivers seat when you push it down and pull up it creaks popping sound.And when you stop and start I hear it.Do you have the same thing?

Thank you
#11 Old 01-02-2005, 10:46 PM

Had an 04 traded for an 05 with a few days overlap. I have NO problems of ANY kind.

#12 Old 01-03-2005, 12:12 PM

Back from dealer

So I was at my dealer this morning getting the radio looked at. I showed the service mananger the printout from another site which listed it as a known problem with a TSB number. He vaugely remembered there being a known issue with the reception but said they've never had anyone complain before about poor reception in a Murano. Kinda surprising since this is one of the busiest Nissan dealers in all of Canada. Anyways, after the car was done, the manager tells me they did tighen the antenna bolt as per the TSB. I get no more than 2 blocks when I still hear the static as before. Back to the dealer. I had to get the service manager to come into my car and listen for himself. Admittedly, it was very hard to hear the crackly reception while the car was still, but once we moved, I think he was convinced it;s not right. Needless to say, I have to schedule another appointment so they can do "further diagnostics" on the radio to see what the problem is. I've played with different antenna positions again to no avail. What a pain in the ass.
#13 Old 01-03-2005, 12:17 PM

Is this true? Clear when not moving but engine running. Crackles associated with vehicle motion?

#14 Old 01-03-2005, 12:21 PM

Well it's still crackly while stationary, but much less. I just attribute this to the antenna being able to get a better signal while in the one spot, as opposed to teh car moving and the antenna not always getting a contant strong signal (buildings, trucks, under bridges.)
#15 Old 01-03-2005, 12:29 PM

Well that was what I wanted to check out, sometimes static electricity buils up when the wheels rotate, But that can't be it if it occurs when you are not moving. Wish I could help my radion is actually quite good compared to most I have had.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: