Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 48 Old 03-08-2011, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is Consumer Reports' take on the reliability of a used Murano:

Here is a broader, apples-to-apples comparison between manufacturers. This is Consumer Reports' predicted overall reliability of used SUVs based on their comprehensive survey. From left to right, 2001-2010. It's a bit sobering when comparing Nissan to Toyota.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 48 Old 03-16-2011, 02:59 PM

I bought my Murano new in the summer of 2003. It now has just over 100,000 miles (160,000 kms) on it.

under warranty I had three (3) front plastic "chrome" grills replaced, the fake chrome just wrinkled up and peeled off. I bought a fourth one myself, outside of warranty, when it did the same thing I have just left it looking like that.

the dash squeaks and rattles, spraying in silicone spray quiets it down for a while, then it starts up again. Annoying.

Drivers side sun visor has been replaced twice, and is broken again. Expensive piece of crap.

the rear pop out cup holder has broken twice, and is broken again. Annoying.

The drivers side power seat frame broke while I was far away from home on a long trip. Dangerous and annoying, and out of warranty. When I got home I removed and dis assembled the seat, and welded and braced the seat frame myself, stupid design and too thin materials, as well as a safety hazard. Has been fine since I welded and braced it, so far. As the seat belt anchors to the seat, I would say that is a major safety hazard.

the Murano is tough on brakes and tires. I have warped three sets of front discs, so am on my fourth full set of discs, now heavy duty cross drilled aftermarket.

when the Murano would no longer hold an alignment, I investigated. The so called fluid filled lower control arm bushings were junk, as were the ball joints and the tie rod ends and the front wheel bearings. I replaced everything myself with aftermarket parts, heavier duty and better quality than the Nissan junk, at about 90,000 miles. I was apalled at the parts prices quoted by the Nissan dealer, especialy the replacement lower control arms. I obtained from after market sources equal or better quality replacement parts at LESS THAN ONE THIRD the cost demanded by the Nissan dealer. Ridiculous.

changing the front wheel bearings involved having to remove the seized in ABS wheel sensors, had to destroy both to get them out, common problem, stupid stupid design, and a signifcant unnecessary cost. Annoying.

the hatch release has broken twice,. First time under warranty, the second time about 6months ago. Easy to change out, but annoying. The fuel filler is rusting and needs constant lubrication to keep it working.

to get at the sparkplugs to change them out involves removing the intake manifold/fuel injection, and replacing pricey gaskets as well as a ton of labour. Really really dumb design.

the exhaust system now needs major repairs or replacement. At 100,000 miles. For a 1960 Chevy pickup that would have been astounding durability. For a 2003 model in an era of essentially lifetime stainless steel exhausts, this is ridiculous and a significant annoyance as well as an unnecessary expense.

in 1992 I bought a brand new 92 Jaguar Sovereign. I still have it, nearly 20 years later. It hasn't had any of the Murano's issues, easy to maintain, no issues. With the old supposedly cantankerous Jag as a yardstick, the Murano fails miserably by comparison.

however, the Murano has been reliable as a stone in the sense of basic reliability. Always starts, no matter the weather, has never stranded me, just the stupid things breaking and the ridiculous cost of Nissan parts as compared to even Jaguar parts has pissed me off so badly that once this one dies finally, whatever replaces it will not be another Nissan. I mean, come on, Nissan, surely designing a sun visor that stays where it is supposed to, and doesn't cost a small fortune to replace with another one of the same crappy design, or a drivers seat frame that could survive normal use, or a front grill that would retain its coating, or a cup holder, can't be beyond corporate resources, surely........

Paul
post #18 of 48 Old 03-17-2011, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 03 now has 100,300 miles on it. The only non-routine maintenance required was front hub replacement on both sides. By far, the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

post #19 of 48 Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 PM

We initially loved our Murano...then we absolutely hated it. It was the worst vehicle I have ever owned, period. I still gave it a 3 just because of the joy we had for about 35k...

When we went to buy our Murano, the one thing we kept thinking "this is gonna last a long time"...and then the problems started and never stopped. We will never buy another Assan (Nissan) product again.

As I've said many times before, I warn everyone that owns a Murano...it's just a matter of time.
post #20 of 48 Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 PM

I had nissan all my life and I think they are reliable cars and trucks. I had my Mo for about two month now and they change CVT @ 78k and I still think its a reliable car to own. Its More reliable then the Mercedes Benz that my sister has. That for sure!!

03 SLAWD Nissan Murano

Other Rides
07 Nissan Frontier Nismo
93 Nissan Pathfinder (Mud Ready)
post #21 of 48 Old 04-29-2011, 06:31 PM

2011 mo

I just bought a brand new 2011 SL MO and after a week the AC wasnt working. the fan didn't blow correctly and the air didn't get cold. I took it back and after a week they found the problem and supposedly fixed it. Then i noticed that it didnt keep a constant temp. it would raise 5 or so degrees as the AC cycles (their explanation). I live in TX and that fluctuation is noticeable when its 95 in April already. i sent a letter to Nissan and they said that my dealer sent the info to the engineers and said it was normal because another vehicle on the lot did the same thing (so 2 wrongs make a right?) so just because I ddin't like the way it worked doesn't mean that there is something wrong. WHAT??????? Getting tired of everyone telling me its normal. I am still trying to see if they will at least look at it as a possible design flaw. I've owned an X-Terra and Pathfinder and other vehicles and NEVER had the AC go up and down like this.

I hear a rattle to the left of the drivers seat and a loud one coming from the back. I'll have to take that in for that.

Aside from that after barely 1K miles, it's holding up.

My Pathfinder ran like a dream after over 120K miles and never had any problems. I miss that darn SUV! :-(
post #22 of 48 Old 06-18-2011, 10:47 AM

Reliable in what way, is the real question. I've had cars with original parts (major parts) that exceeded 150,00 mi without any problem, yet MO's simple single-CD players broke after only two years/22K. The alternator failed after two years, the CVT failed in four years (four times), along with transfer cases, the engine had to be replaced at 55K, the interior clicks and pops, the strange power surges and stalls that are like random hauntings, the rear diff replaced at 95K...

I haven't been stranded yet, but I don't have the greatest confidence and would never take this vehicle anywhere secluded or on a long trip.

I think the real way to look at it is, less any normal wear-and-tear parts (filters, brake pads, fuses, etc) how reliable has this thing been in cost vs. time, including the purchase price.

I paid $31,500 cash for MO, have had roughly $60,000 worth of warranty work done since buying new in 2003, and I've had to sink roughly $4,000 in big repairs (the rear differential, for example) and so I've spent $35,500 of my own money for a car I've had 8 years, which comes out to about $369 per month to own this car...so far. That's not a very good ratio. When you also factor in the annoyances (clicks, pops, driver's seat bracket failure, CD won't eject correctly because the 2nd new player failed, having to battle with Nissan for warranty work, etc) this car isn't very good at all. Problem is, I love it. The lines are great for the 2003 model, the pewter always looks glossy and clean, and I love the feel of the seats and grip of the steering wheel...

But, for that price I could have leased a luxury SUV and had more confidence to take a road trip that's greater than 50 miles. And when you factor in the warranty work (that I didn't have to pay) MO costs about $1,000 per month to own. Imagine if I had to shell out to fix all the stuff that went wrong. I've had $300 crapboxes that were more reliable than MO. My first car ($250 '76 Chevette) had fewer problems than MO. Naturally, with greater technology over simple designs the comparison isn't really fair, but I think you get what I'm trying to say.

Like I've always said: "I love you, MO!...you big piece of crap!"

BTW, I went middle of the road with 3.
post #23 of 48 Old 08-28-2011, 05:14 PM

I had an internal argument going on with myself for well over six months over whether to buy the Buick Enclave, the Lexus RX350, or the Murano. I was leaning heavily towards the Buick but the dealership upped the cost $2,000 between visits saying that the cars were selling so well that they decided they could get more because of the demand. That really torqued my jaws so I walked out on them and went for the RX...but on the way, Nissan offered me a heck of a deal on an 09 LE fully loaded and Certified Pre-Owned...so I ended up with the Murano and threw in a Nissan Gold extended warranty.

Having made that decision, I don't feel as confident as I might have felt had I gone with the Buick or the Lexus. There just seems to be a number of things that seem to go wrong....the steering column tilt motor, air conditioning auto controls, leaking transfer case, reverse gear seems to labor when going up an incline, and now the head gaskets are leaking and need to be replaced. I have to admit that I haven't had to pay for any of the repairs as they've either fallen under the power train warranty or the extended warranty I bought, and now Nissan has extended their CVT warranty to 120K miles. The reason they did this was that the reputation of the CVT was starting to have a negative impact on sales, so to counter that, they increased the coverage time. But regardless of warranty coverage, the point is that failures continue to occur. These failures have resulted in the car being in the shop for a total of about 5 days...during which Nissan did give me a loaner, but the point is that it's still inconvenient to have to be going back to the shop. These failures do little to instill confidence in the vehicle although I do admit that I like the car, and like driving it, it is comfortable, has a nice design and lots of nice accessories....but it's gotten to the point where I'm starting to wonder, "I wonder what's going to go out next?".

If I had it to do over again, I think honestly I would have gone with the Enclave. The Lexus was a little too small....but a very nice car. I rated the car as a 4 because I haven't had it long enough to really give it a chance to settle down, but I bought it in February, 2011 and the things that have gone wrong definitely have me thinking about knocking the rating down to a 3 if things keep going the way they have.

2009 Murano LE, white/tan, 48K miles; with all the amenities you can pack into this thing. Whoever had it first was obviously a doo-dad guy. Can't watch DVD movies because the headrest screens are facing backwards!!
post #24 of 48 Old 09-02-2011, 12:12 PM

I reviewed all the responses to this poll

After goig thru all the responses to this poll, I see that most folks have rated it very reliable. They don't all show what year their car is, but what I think I noticed is that although folks like the car, they lack the overall confidence that they might have had....like I had with my 2001 Dodge Ram diesel....you NEVER gave it a thought that when you turned on the ignition, it would run...whether down to the corner store or on a 4,000 mile cross country trip.

There just seem to be a series of niggling little things that go wrong...from major issues like the transfer case (big item of contention for those who have had to eat the costs), to little rattles and annoyances...like the little motor that raises the steering column when you get out of the car.

Overall, it's a really nicely presented car. It's stylish, has lots of accessories if you choose the upgraded packages, and is comfortable and easy to drive....BUT....there's still that little voice in the back of my head that nags at me...."what's going to go wrong next?". As I said in my previous response, I would most likely have gone with the Enclave if I had it to do over....but I have this now, and Nissan has been very good about taking care of all the problems that have cropped up., So far, they've spent well over $6,000 on problems that have come up since February of this year when I bought it. Thank God I bought the extended warranty...I have never bought one, but this time something just nagged at me...so the $1600 investment has paid off many times over. My biggest sub-conscious "nag" deals with the transfer case. They did replace the seals at 50K miles, but it's still under the 5/60K drivetrain warranty. I have 6K miles left on that drive train warranty, and my confidence in the reliability and longevity of the transfer case has been diminished considerably.

I'll finish this off by simply saying that I really do like the car, however it's the first car I've ever owned where I fret about how it's going to hold up after 100K....my daughter's 01 Subaru is at 181,000 miles and going strong with regular oil changes, plugs, a belt, and tires/brakes. What's the longest time anyone is aware of that a Murano has gone without a major fix of some sort? I honestly hate to add this negative addendum in to what appears to be a great looking car and one I intended to be the last I ever bought, but now I'm not so sure.

2009 Murano LE, white/tan, 48K miles; with all the amenities you can pack into this thing. Whoever had it first was obviously a doo-dad guy. Can't watch DVD movies because the headrest screens are facing backwards!!
post #25 of 48 Old 10-23-2011, 12:59 PM

I am on my second Murano. First one was an 03, bought new and sold with 109k mi. Including five ungaraged Kansas winters. I replaced the brake pads and alternator replaced under recall at ~60k mi, and wheel bearings at 90k mi. The shocks and bushings were done when I sold it and needed to be replaced. VERY reliable IMO. I just bought my '11 S a few days ago and hope for the same. I owned a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI in between. I've seen few complaints here that comes close to rivaling the pain those inflict. With a few exceptions, the complaints here are petty. Also, seems the awd is s source of pain for Murano owners. I had my 2wd in Kansas with BFG Longtrail tires for five years and never had a problem going where I wanted. I also love that I can do oil changes in 15 min with no ramps or jacks!
post #26 of 48 Old 02-14-2012, 10:27 PM

Good to see the majority of owners here would rate the Murano as reliable. Coming from a whole slew of German cars, I can't imagine the Murano being any worse as far as reliability is concerned! Looking forward to getting a Murano to keep my A4 company at night.

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
2003 Acura MDX Touring
post #27 of 48 Old 02-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
My 2007 has been very reliable so far - with the major caveat being that it had a transfer case leak and power steering hose link at 65K miles. If I hadn't had an extended warranty, I would have dumped the vehicle rather than pay $2000+ for those repairs - both of which are not that unusual, based on reports here.

The PS hose isn't a big deal and I would have done it myself - although it should not have failed at 65K miles. The transfer case problem is not excusable.

I like driving the Murano but I am not convinced that its long-term reliability is predictable. Some seem to do very well, others seem to hit the midnight hour about 100K miles. At my present rate of mileage, I'll have about 3 years before I hit 100K miles, and my plan is to sell it at that time.

This is very unusual for me, as almost all the cars I buy are driven to around 150K miles. The problem is that due to that DAMN transverse engine mount and transaxle, as it's too hard to work on. If it were a vehicle with the motor in-line (like my wife's BMW 325i or my Datsun 280ZX) it would be much easier to work on, both for me and for a shop.

I realize this is the way many vehicles are going, but if I had my druthers I wouldn't own another car with a transverse engine and a front transaxle. I'm not ready to spend a spadillion dollars at a shop for work that should be simple to perform.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #28 of 48 Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofster View Post
Good to see the majority of owners here would rate the Murano as reliable. Coming from a whole slew of German cars, I can't imagine the Murano being any worse as far as reliability is concerned! Looking forward to getting a Murano to keep my A4 company at night.
Don't kidd yourself, CR is a joke and this forum only represents a VERY small portion of owners, mostly enthusiasts. I would not recommend the Murano to anyone. Why? my own experience and my knowledge in speaking to a TON of Nissan mechanics (personal associates).

I still warn Murano owners that I meet, they all tell me the same story; bad brakes, ball joints, leaks (radiator), and transfer case.

Good luck, you'll be posting in the "problems" section after some time.
post #29 of 48 Old 02-16-2012, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffymiracle View Post
Don't kidd yourself, CR is a joke and this forum only represents a VERY small portion of owners, mostly enthusiasts. I would not recommend the Murano to anyone. Why? my own experience and my knowledge in speaking to a TON of Nissan mechanics (personal associates).

I still warn Murano owners that I meet, they all tell me the same story; bad brakes, ball joints, leaks (radiator), and transfer case.

Good luck, you'll be posting in the "problems" section after some time.
Gee, that sounds like sour grapes.
post #30 of 48 Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
Gee, that sounds like sour grapes.
You know it...and I was being nice.

Seriously, I was a very happy Murano owner when I first got her home...and then the problems started at around 45 or 50k (can't remember exactly). I've been a die hard motor head and mechanic since the early 80's...this is the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned. I would accept that I was dealt a lemon but in speaking with other local Murano owners and being in the trade of auto mechanics, I know that the Murano really is a turd packaged in a nice old box, inside it's still a turd!

Say what you will, I've been here for some time and had some very good conversations, supporters that were once toting "it's a great reliable vehicle" are having similar issues that us "soured" owners had. I use the word had because I was fortunate enough to get rid of that turd before the catastophic failure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: