1 not reliable 7 7.37%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 48 Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Interesting. I'm amazed that you still own it. A problematic car is like an inaccurate gun to me. They are not worth keeping and I would have traded your "turd" a long time ago. I'm not one to indulge in masochistic practices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 02-17-2012, 06:30 AM

I'm now thinking...Murano = 5 years, 75,000 miles. At that point all bets are off!

However, I read all of this reliability stuff about the Murano before I ever bought one, and what stood out was that the early versions did, indeed, have some problems. But the trend was to better reliability over the years, and much better reliability in the 2nd generation. Time will tell. It's always a crap shoot buying a vehicle because reliability indexes are just averages of the vehicles samples. So there are some that are very good, and some that are very bad.

Harken back to the 70's, those of you who are old enough to remember that far, and vehicles in general were absolutely horrible. That was the low point in the automobile industry, and a big reason the Japanese brands like Nissan, Toyota, and Honda were able to make inroads into the American market. Their cars weren't particularly stellar at that point, either, but they were an improvement over what was coming out of Detroit. If cars back then were rated the way we rate cars today, not one of them would be considered reliable. It's all relative.
post #33 of 48 Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I had a 05 murano traded it in with 105000 and did breaks and tires and normal maintaince and traded it for a 2011 great so far again

MO-one-2005 With a Custom Fiberglass Box In The Tire well ,Directed Audio Amps, Mono 800 Watt And A 75x4 Amp.Sirius Radio,Pioneer Component Speakers, K-40 front and rear radar unit, Keep MOing around
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MO-Two-2011- in Merlot and Black Inside with Nav. Have all my gear from the other one and will go into the new one soon. HIDs coming next week. The new one is just GREAT.
10/29/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 02-27-2012, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Friend just bought an 07' Murano SL AWD w/ 50,000 miles for $21000.00. What kind of problems can he expect with this vehicle based on your experience?
post #35 of 48 Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleybarr View Post
Friend just bought an 07' Murano SL AWD w/ 50,000 miles for $21000.00. What kind of problems can he expect with this vehicle based on your experience?
IMHO (and after 7 1/2 years of experience with a Mo bought new 10/04), it all depends on whether the previous owner(s) drove it as if it were an SUV or, worse yet truck, instead of like the modified Altima all Muranos really are.
post #36 of 48 Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 PM

I drive mine like a car. Except when I press that little AWD Lock button!

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
post #37 of 48 Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 PM

Nissan Reliability (??)

First of all, I want to apologize to the guys who took offense at some of my long drawn out tirades about the problems with some of Nissan's policies and some of the common problems that keep cropping up but are ignored by Nissan corporate. I admit to being somewhat verbose and sometimes wandered off into the weeds.

I have finally resolved the problems with Nissan's common denominators and issues that cast an unfavorable light on the reliability and longevity of their Murano. Although I ate a good portion of the purchase price, I traded it in on another vehicle from a different manufacturer. I really liked the Murano LE...it had every doo-dad you could put on it, but the recurring issues I kept reading about, some of which I encountered like head gaskets and transfer case leaks (not a universal problem) finally drove me to selling it and moving on. I got back about $1200 of my original Nissan Premium warranty.

It's been great interacting with you good folks....Kiosk...after buying those new tires you recommended they're going to go to someone else who'll benefit from your recommendation. It's been fun and informative here, but the bottom line is that even though there are plenty of owners out there who have no problems to report, I've lost confidence in the long term reliability of the Nissan product line. I now own a vehicle with a 3 year 36K bumper to bumper warranty, a good reliability report, a lot more peace of mind, and willl quit Bit$hing on this forum. Best of luck to you all and may you never encounter the slightest hint of a leak in your driveway.

Chuck

2009 Murano LE, white/tan, 48K miles; with all the amenities you can pack into this thing. Whoever had it first was obviously a doo-dad guy. Can't watch DVD movies because the headrest screens are facing backwards!!
post #38 of 48 Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck jones View Post

I now own a vehicle with a 3 year 36K bumper to bumper warranty, a good reliability report, a lot more peace of mind, and willl quit Bit$hing on this forum. Best of luck to you all and may you never encounter the slightest hint of a leak in your driveway.

Chuck
What is interesting is that is exactly what the Murano has. It has a very good reliability report from all the automotive publications. I think some of this stuff is a self fulfilling prophecy. Folks read about problems, and all of a sudden they have the same thing. interesting how the human mind works!

post #39 of 48 Old 02-29-2012, 12:35 AM

Final addendum....swan song.

Ok gents....many of you have looked long and hard at what to buy. Some of you have actually researched the issues, others have been impressed by the salesmen and the presentation on the carlot. The Murano is an impressive vehicle. I don't for one minute dispute that fact. I'm 70 years old...30 years in law enforcement, and I "used to" pride myself on my ability to really resarch issues. I blew it. I was taken in by the bling and not the real issues behind the bling. I wanted my final vehicle...sold all my Porsches, Dodge 1 ton diesel etc. All had six speed transmissions and I decided it was time to give up the 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and go for something more sedate....comfortable, loaded with doo-dads that enhanced my life and ability to simply give it verbal commands and find them activated with little or no problems.

The first problem I encountered (being totally truthful...I bought a 48K previously owned but Nissan Premium Certified used car) because it was beautiful. White with chrome, all the bells and whistles, even TV monitors in the headrests and wireless headsets. My previous training for logic and research left me like a teenager on his first date. I fell in love...with design, accessories, presentation, color combos, leather, everything activated by voice....you get the picture.

I even spent almost $1600 on a premium Nissan extended warranty just to relieve my anxiety that I'd never have to worry about another thing for the rest of my life. This was to be my LAST car. I had balanced the acquisiton of this car against the Buick Enclave...but the doo-dads turned my head. I should have accepted the premise that the more doo-dads, the more points of failure that exist. The old adage about KISS still has application in this day and age, although technology IS making inroads into making our lives simpler and more enjoyable.

Now to the crux of the issue. I bought it at 48K miles...OK...I accepted the fact it had 48K...but it's the flagship of the fleet...it's the LE right? Well the flagship has some flaws...and they exist in the superstructure...not in the bling. And the superstructure supports not only the LE, but all th emodels down the line. The Transfer Case and the heads are a major flaw and fly in the ointment as well as the CVT. Don't believe me? Do your own researdch. Nissan is turning a blind eye especially to the transfer case issue. They were drawing so much flak out of the CVT that it was affecting the prospect of future sales...so they upped the warranty for the CVT to 120K miles to neutralize the negativity....good PR move on their part....but they left out a major point of failure...one that many of you can see on the floor of your garage or in your driveway.....those little spots called transfer case oil. Your TC warranty is only good for 60K...if you're getting close to that point, I'd have an inspection done...but that only handles here and now..not another 10K down the road wehre you eat $4K. C',mon corporate, strap on the brass ones and extend the TC warranty along with the CVT....then you'll eliminate a lot of the complaints.

Bill, you and a couple other guys have run me thru the flak fields...and I think that's appropriate given some of the BS I've thrown out there...but this is not bs...and even though I ate about $10K on the swap out of a relatively new purchase, I just HAD to get out of the feeling that I was driving a vehicle with several pointsof failure here or there or somewhere. This will piss off a niumber of folks who just bought one, or who have had one that had lived a life of normality....but there are so many who are encountering the issues I've cited that will end up eating the weeinie because Nissan refuses to acknowledge an known fact....it all boils down to profits and that nastiest of corporate scenarios..."recalls". OOOOOhh, can you imagine the hue and cry from the stockholders boad meeing?

I told you I was done...gone...hasta la bye-bye...and this is it for me. I'm sorry if I offended anyone because I didn't do it intentionally I had to speak my mind...my honest evaluation based upon experience and encountering facts and failures. I wanted my final car...the one for my Viking funeral. But I didn't get it and had to move to another manufacturer. Best of luck to those of you who in good faith bought what presents as a wonderful car...good looking, comfortable, well appointed, proud to drive....but flawed by a company that won't admit to points of failure and take care of their problems by admitting to the failures.

All this is obviously personal opinion and should be recognized as such, but if Nissan hired me as an evaluator and PR consultant, I'd make some changes..

Chuck

2009 Murano LE, white/tan, 48K miles; with all the amenities you can pack into this thing. Whoever had it first was obviously a doo-dad guy. Can't watch DVD movies because the headrest screens are facing backwards!!
post #40 of 48 Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 AM

Final addendum....swan song.

Ok gents....many of you have looked long and hard at what to buy. Some of you have actually researched the issues, others have been impressed by the salesmen and the presentation on the carlot. The Murano is an impressive vehicle. I don't for one minute dispute that fact. I'm 70 years old...30 years in law enforcement, and I "used to" pride myself on my ability to really resarch issues. I blew it. I was taken in by the bling and not the real issues behind the bling. I wanted my final vehicle...sold all my Porsches, Dodge 1 ton diesel etc. All had six speed transmissions and I decided it was time to give up the 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and go for something more sedate....comfortable, loaded with doo-dads that enhanced my life and ability to simply give it verbal commands and find them activated with little or no problems.

The first problem I encountered (being totally truthful...I bought a 48K previously owned but Nissan Premium Certified used car) because it was beautiful. White with chrome, all the bells and whistles, even TV monitors in the headrests and wireless headsets. My previous training for logic and research left me like a teenager on his first date. I fell in love...with design, accessories, presentation, color combos, leather, everything activated by voice....you get the picture.

I even spent almost $1600 on a premium Nissan extended warranty just to relieve my anxiety that I'd never have to worry about another thing for the rest of my life. This was to be my LAST car. I had balanced the acquisiton of this car against the Buick Enclave...but the doo-dads turned my head. I should have accepted the premise that the more doo-dads, the more points of failure that exist. The old adage about KISS still has application in this day and age, although technology IS making inroads into making our lives simpler and more enjoyable.

Now to the crux of the issue. I bought it at 48K miles...OK...I accepted the fact it had 48K...but it's the flagship of the fleet...it's the LE right? Well the flagship has some flaws...and they exist in the superstructure...not in the bling. And the superstructure supports not only the LE, but all th emodels down the line. The Transfer Case and the heads are a major flaw and fly in the ointment as well as the CVT. Don't believe me? Do your own researdch. Nissan is turning a blind eye especially to the transfer case issue. They were drawing so much flak out of the CVT that it was affecting the prospect of future sales...so they upped the warranty for the CVT to 120K miles to neutralize the negativity....good PR move on their part....but they left out a major point of failure...one that many of you can see on the floor of your garage or in your driveway.....those little spots called transfer case oil. Your TC warranty is only good for 60K...if you're getting close to that point, I'd have an inspection done...but that only handles here and now..not another 10K down the road wehre you eat $4K. C',mon corporate, strap on the brass ones and extend the TC warranty along with the CVT....then you'll eliminate a lot of the complaints.

Bill, you and a couple other guys have run me thru the flak fields...and I think that's appropriate given some of the BS I've thrown out there...but this is not bs...and even though I ate about $10K on the swap out of a relatively new purchase, I just HAD to get out of the feeling that I was driving a vehicle with several pointsof failure here or there or somewhere. This will piss off a niumber of folks who just bought one, or who have had one that had lived a life of normality....but there are so many who are encountering the issues I've cited that will end up eating the weeinie because Nissan refuses to acknowledge an known fact....it all boils down to profits and that nastiest of corporate scenarios..."recalls". OOOOOhh, can you imagine the hue and cry from the stockholders boad meeing?

I told you I was done...gone...hasta la bye-bye...and this is it for me. I'm sorry if I offended anyone because I didn't do it intentionally I had to speak my mind...my honest evaluation based upon experience and encountering facts and failures. I wanted my final car...the one for my Viking funeral. But I didn't get it and had to move to another manufacturer. Best of luck to those of you who in good faith bought what presents as a wonderful car...good looking, comfortable, well appointed, proud to drive....but flawed by a company that won't admit to points of failure and take care of their problems by admitting to the failures.

All this is obviously personal opinion and should be recognized as such, but if Nissan hired me as an evaluator and PR consultant, I'd make some changes..

Chuck

post #41 of 48 Old 02-29-2012, 04:44 AM

Losing 10k on the car swap could have bought you a new CVT and a TC or a new engine and a TC if it was to ever fail on you.......just saying. What car did you get this time? Good luck.
post #42 of 48 Old 02-29-2012, 06:24 AM

My question is if this was going to be your "last car" why didn't w one. I certainly wouldn't buy a used car, especially one with 48,000 miles, as my "last car." That doesn't even make sense to me. It would have probably taken you 4 years to get 48,000 on a new one, and you would have known how those miles were driven.

I bought one used car in my life. It was a 1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille that was a year old and had 11,000 miles on it. It was a beautiful car and I paid about 1/2 what I would have paid for a new one. But, I could never get the feeling of "used" out of my mind. I kept it for 5 years and then went back to buying new.

post #43 of 48 Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck jones View Post

I even spent almost $1600 on a premium Nissan extended warranty just to relieve my anxiety that I'd never have to worry about another thing for the rest of my life.

Now to the crux of the issue. I bought it at 48K miles...OK...I accepted the fact it had 48K...but it's the flagship of the fleet...it's the LE right? Well the flagship has some flaws...and they exist in the superstructure...not in the bling.
Sorry for your plight. But even you admit you were blinded by a car that obviously got a GREAT detail job to cover up the fact that it had been run into the ground in just 2 years! There is nothing normal about an 09 car bought in 11, that had already amassed 48K miles. That's a TON (IMHO, of course) of miles for a car only 2 years old. Our 04 Mo (a DD AND trip car bought new 10/04, and now performing almost flawlessly 7 1/2 years later with almost 100K miles on it) didn't hit 48K until it was 3 1/2 years old.

And wouldn't that costly warranty have covered the multitude of problems you started to encounter as soon as you bought this car? Plus, didn't this car come with a detailed maintenance record as part of its warranty?

While some might consider the LE to be the `flagship' model, personally, I reserve that label for SE's. Though even had you searched one of those out, an SE too could have likely been as big a lemon had it been driven as hard as your poor car was in it's short (2 year) life before it was dumped back on the market.
post #44 of 48 Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 AM

There are no "SE" models any more. The models out now are the S, SV, SL, and LE. The LE is the top of the line model with all the bells and whistles. And I agree, a 2 year old car with 48,000 miles is driven a lot. Our company vehicles are run from 40,000 to 60,000 in 2 years, and they are on the road everyday doing a lot of driving. I put about 22,000 - 24,000/year on my company vehicle and I can tell you I drive a lot. My MO only averages 6,000 - 8,000/year depending on how much vacation driving we do, and how many trips I make to my daughter's house.

If I was buying a used 2 year old car, I would be looking for one with under 25K. Anything over that tells me the car has been used pretty hard in it's short life.

post #45 of 48 Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
There are no "SE" models any more.
I know. That's why my current (04 SE) Murano will be my last one of those, and Maximas (my last 2 of those were both SE's as well) were taken off my list of potential next cars long ago too. Since Mos are marketed to mostly an older demo, I understand why the sporty model of those was dropped. But Maximas? That makes zero sense to me. Unless, again due to the older demo that mostly buys those cars, there just wasn't enough demand for a sporty sedan.

With some trepidation, I recently traded in my last (95, with over 220K miles) Maxima on my first used car in many years - a 3 year old (one owner, just off lease) BMW 335xi. This car had impeccable maintenance records that showed it had almost no problems for the 3 years it had been on the road, and had 35K miles. Plus, I paid a little extra (bought it as a CPO from a BMW dealer) to get a 2 year extension on the BMW warranty that still had one year left any way. I would have stayed with a Nissan/Infiniti in a heartbeat, had I been able to get a sporty (MT, AWD, sport seats and suspension) sedan.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: