Nissan Murano Forum banner

Knowing what you know now, would you still have bought a Murano?

• Yes

Votes: 82 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 28 25.5%

Knowing what you know now, would you still have bought a Murano?

20K views 58 replies 39 participants last post by  mattski 
#1 ·
Having owned a Murano and maintained it throughout your ownership of the vehicle, sharing your experiences with others here on the forum, would you still have bought a Murano if you could go back and do it all over again?

#2 ·
Woofster-

:29: Excellent poll!

I predict 95% in favor of the MO.

-njjoe

#5 ·
Yes. Absolutely. I don't have any complaints at all and I love the vehicle. It is exactly what I hoped it would be.

#6 ·
Don't know man...this is a tough one...:8:

I have had my doubts at times because I never felt comfortable with its new "high tech" stuff that could break down and cost arm and a leg to fix. But I have to admit it has been a great car so I guess I would have to say "yes"...:29:

#7 ·
Don't know man...this is a tough one...:8:

I have had my doubts at times because I never felt comfortable with its new "high tech" stuff that could break down and cost arm and a leg to fix. But I have to admit it has been a great car so I guess I would have to say "yes"...:29:

Kind of scares that a mod of the forum had doubts... would think they would have all drank the koolaid and been "true believers"....

#8 ·
No.

Keep in mind I was one of the pioneers of this fleet.

For the first 6 months I owned it, I was questioned all the time about the car. There were very few Muranos on the road! Just about every time I parked people would inquire. Back then, I loved it. She was fast, sleek, different and really fun to drive.

Then the "little things" started.....

alternator, seat track, power steering hose, door locks, squeaks, rattles, tailpipe cracking, fuel door refusing to open.

Except for the alternator, my overqualified Nissan dealer took ownership of nothing.

Then as she aged, I had some power issues that nobody could seem to resolve. Whenever she got hot, in stop and go traffic, the was a delay from accelerator-to the car actually moving. I was scared to get stuck in traffic!

Tune her up, fix the throttle body, replace plugs, injectors, pcv valve, etc.

All this in addition to religiously changing the fluids, filters tires, brakes, etc.

Throw in a 4 sets of tires, some rotors, couple of hubs, Platinum plugs, etc.

etc. etc. etc.

etc. etc. etc.

etc. etc. etc.

Then my exhaust started making noise. I took her to my exhaust guy, he examined her and said it would be a $800-900 fix. Then he said, my CVT was leaking. He noted that the exhaust cost was so high due to the labor involved. If they had to pull the CVT, they should do the exhaust while they were in there to save the labor.

Now, *supposedly* my CVT was warranted to 120,000 miles (I was at 112). Guess what Nissan said......

Long story short (yeah that's possible) There was no way I was sinking $4,000 into a $6,000 car.

My Murano is gone.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I was this cars biggest cheerleader for a long, long time. If you look through my years of posting here, you'll find very few complaints.

It wasn't total misery, just expensive fun.

The question on the table was: "Having owned a Murano and maintained it throughout your ownership of the vehicle, sharing your experiences with others here on the forum, would you still have bought a Murano if you could go back and do it all over again?"

Honesty, not on a bet.

Like most things in life though: YMMV

#9 ·
I got caught buying the first of a new model an automaker brought out twice in my life. The first was a Jeep Cherokee with the then new "Quarda-Trac" the other was a Dodge Intrepid the first year Chrysler introduced that model. Both were the most dreadful vehicles I have ever owned. You think 3Putt's story is bad, mine would curl your hair.

I never bought another Jeep, but I did go back 5 years later and buy another Intrepid. The 2nd generation was so much better than the first, it was a very trouble free vehicle and I owned it for 6 years. I would have bought another, but they discontinued it. I then bought a Maxima.

Point being, I think any new vehicle introduction is going to be fraught with problems until that vehicle has some real world use and the buggy components can be re-engineered. For that reason I have decided if a manufacture introduces a new vehicle I like, I wouldn't even consider it until it was on the market for 3 years.

So, since I was into the 2nd generation of the MO and 9 years after it's introduction, I wasn't real afraid of the problems I was hearing from the early years. Was this a good decision? Time will tell.

#21 ·
I think any new vehicle introduction is going to be fraught with problems until that vehicle has some real world use and the buggy components can be re-engineered.
This might be true for American made cars, but not Japanese ones. My first Maxima was an 85 SE - the first year for the 2nd gens (so different from the 1st gens, those might as well have not even existed. In fact, the 1st gens might have even still been Datsuns way back then in the early 80's, and didn't have V6's). That one was so good, that 10 years later I bought a 95 SE in late 94, again the first year of the 4th gen Maximas. That's the one I begrudgingly just traded in (after 17 years and 220K miles) on my used (08) bimmer. Both of my 1st year maxes were so good, I knew the 2nd year of the first gen Mos would be very low risk for problems.

How right I was!

Then again, I still won't buy any US engineered or even assembled car no matter how long it's been around.

#10 ·
I appreciate the candid responses. Speaking of first series models, my A4 has been fantastic, nevermind that it was the first year of a new generation. It was everything I was looking for in a sedan.

Interestingly, the Murano scores pretty well in most new car reviews over the years. In other words, when new, it appears to be a very nice balance between style, cost, features, performance and usability. I guess long-term ownership might be a different tune.

#11 ·
Hell no! Bought it with 75K and now it has 125K. 2 motor mounts failed pretsoon after purchase, cv joint on passenger side failed, strut as well. Wheel bearings/hubs are in need of replacement, crank angle sensor failed, etc. We had a Pathfinder before that NEVER had any issues. Drove it until 210K and all I ever did to it was front rotors and an oil cooler o-ring. Loved it. Hate the Murano. I do all of my own maintenace and take good care of my cars. This one has been a huge dissapointment.

#12 ·
Kinda hard to buy a car with 75k miles on it....and blame the car.The problem with this type of vehicle when purchased used is worrying about how it was used. Did the dope use it for offroading because it says AWD? Or even if 2WD, the ride height and SUV name means, to some, that it can be driven anywhere. I doubt a properly cared for Murano should have such issues at 75k miles.

#13 ·
hell yes! this car has been nothing but good to me! of course i have done nothing short of babying it :) it has 70 k and purrs like a kitten

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

#14 ·
Knowing what I do 7 1/2 years and 98K miles after buying my 04 SE back on 10/04, I'd do it again in a heartbeat! This has been the best car I've ever owned. That said, this is likely the last Murano I'll own since I prefer buying new, and SE's (the only Nissans I buy) aren't offered any more.

#15 ·
About a year and a half and I have no issue with the Murano. I like the way it looks, the way it rides, the way it handles. I do have lingering doubts about whether I should have bought the Subaru Outback, though. I really liked that car, too.

#16 ·
I would have to say yes...

Haven't had to do anything to this car other than typical stuff that fails on any other. Love the room and how it serves my family.

#18 ·
We drove the RX and liked the Murano better. I actually found the Muranos interior much nicer and thought it rode better. I could never get used to those ugly clear taillights. Bothered the heII outta me.

#23 ·
To our new 2011. This is our 1st Murano, but 14th or 15th Nissan. Prior to the Murano, the wife had minivans. Now our kids are grown so we didn't need all the room anymore.

#22 ·
You missed the point. A change in generation is not a new vehicle. It's the first 2 - 3 years of the first generation that is generally the problem. I think the 2003 - 2005 MOs had more problems than later on. It just stands to reason that it takes a few years to get the bugs worked out in real world driving situations.

#28 ·
Definitely, I always liked small suvs I sold my grand cherokee and bought the Murano.
Even thou it looks smaller, it is more spacious, faster and lighter than the Jeep I had.

The CVT went out about 6 months ago but thanks to Nissans 10 year 12000K warranty
it was replaced at no charge, other than that I have replaced the high pressure
power steering hose and the front lower control arms. ( a very common failure among Muranos)
the stereo cant be replaced, thats a bummer for me, but I am working on
a little project to improve the sound quality of my MO, I'll post pics soon.

Everytime I get in my Murano Im like man, I love my Murano.

#31 ·
Definitely, I always liked small suvs I sold my grand cherokee and bought the Murano.
Even thou it looks smaller, it is more spacious, faster and lighter than the Jeep I had.

The funny thing about the MO is that it does appear smaller than a lot of other midsized SUVs. But when you get it alongside them, you see that it isn't, and it's actually quite roomy. That was one thing that impressed me about it was the passenger room. It does give up some cargo room to get this, but you can't defy the laws of physics!

#29 ·
I'm going to admit I kinda of regret buying it, but theres a lot of factors to why that is, first I regret buying the red ones instead of the black ones, the blacks ones looks much nicer, I also should've went for LE or at least SL instead of SV, money was a little tight but I should've bought a used LE instead. I didn't get a good offer from my dealer ship, I got it for 33k with nothing added on top. I also like Maxima and I regret not getting a maxima instead of the MO simply because I feel like the Maxima fits me better. But overall MO is a great car and I still think it's the best SUV's around apart of the high-ends BWM X6, Benz ect...

#30 ·
Went from Lexus RX's to a Mo, no regrets, and I'd do it again. Nice balance of fun to drive, room, comfort and amenities.

#33 ·
We have owned our Mo for a year and i would have to say no i would not do it again. We seen it at the dealer and just jumped on it, i shouldn't have bought it, truthfully its to expensive of a car for my budget/lifestyle. So my reasons for saying not to do it again is it feels to rich to me. Sounds wierd when i read that back, but thats what im trying to say i think, its a nice car but feel where i am at in life i should be driving an explorer. Its like i reached to far. Also a little nervous about a transmission that costs $4,000! But i belive the wife feels completly different she loves it!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.