Changing the mid pipe - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 10-13-2010, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Changing the mid pipe

So I'm on a quest to do some mod's to the Murano, nothing crazy. I'm currently on some 350z forums researching some piggybacks, as changing exhaust or intake on any new engine nowadays isn't going to make much difference without tuning. Exhaust wise for my 04 SE AWD, I was thinking about changing the midpipe to a 350z midpipe, there easy to find and should basically make a murano sound like a 350z, which is nice, not too loud, but still some pep. Going to leave the stock muffler on there for now, but my question is, has anyone changed the mid pipe without changing the stock muffler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-13-2010, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Why not do a full cat back? Open up everything and put in a Corvette muffler or something.

Multiple members have removed the eyesore of a muffler in the middle of the exhaust system. It will make your exhaust note sound a bit louder. I forget what others did. I'll have to search through the forum.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#3 Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
There is no need to spend thousands for a cat-back. Just check out this excellent thread from Linky: Performance Exhaust For Less

Don't forget about the CVT's effect on the engine's sound. Changing the exhaust may make the MO sound more like a 350Z, but it will be more like a 350Z boat. There will be no changes in tone because there are no "shifts".

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#4 Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM

I'm not really looking to make the car louder, I just want to open it up some more. I did have Hooker muffler on my trans am back in the day, made it sound really deep and was quiet.
#5 Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
...Changing the exhaust may make the MO sound more like a 350Z, but it will be more like a 350Z boat....
I have a little radio interference sound in my MO so when I accelerate from inside it sounds like a plane is taking off on a runway....

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#6 Old 10-13-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebelkhan View Post
I have a little radio interference sound in my MO so when I accelerate from inside it sounds like a plane is taking off on a runway....
LOL, I have the same thing, because of the PAC Ipod interface.
#7 Old 10-13-2010, 10:35 PM

Does anyone have any sound clips of the midpipe removed and stock muffler?
#8 Old 10-14-2010, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
CVT are for smooth driving and not race driving. I think its a waste. Even with 345 horsepower like this GTC you will never achieve the full engine performance due to the CVT. Still looks sweet though....I want one. Check this out.

Its an '06 clip probably why I like it...its the first gen body.
#9 Old 10-14-2010, 09:07 AM

Plus, once I get a 350z midpipe, I'll probably fab up a custom y-pipe and use high-flow cats, and maybe a different muffler. Intake for these cars seem to be a waste of time too, I'll probably just remove the silencer somehow to just make it louder, and get a good filter, then off to get it tuned. Should get HP numbers equivalent to the 2nd gen muranos, if not more.

Also the CVT in TIPTRONIC actually makes the car frigin haul. It has more of a standard automatic shift feel to it, because you can definately feel it shift when WOT, and it shifts hard.

Of course CVT in drive it just sits at the same RPM and feels slow and sounds like a boat, sucks for SL guys.

EDIT: Ok I've called up a reputable tuning company (S&R Performance of Tampa) and while they haven't tuned a Murano, they see no reason why they can't, only problem is the cost, 650$.
#10 Old 10-14-2010, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What exactly is their tuning plan? Do they have a way to manipulate the on board ECU or will they install a piggyback tuning system?

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#11 Old 10-14-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
What exactly is their tuning plan? Do they have a way to manipulate the on board ECU or will they install a piggyback tuning system?

Apparently they are just going to re-flash the stock ECU, the same way they do it for all other nissan vehicles.

EDIT:

Here is what they use, and actually it's better to just go through UpRev.

http://uprev.com/products.php

Can switch MAPS on the go, up to 5 maps. How awesome is that. Valet mode is the best.
#12 Old 01-17-2011, 10:56 AM

Any updates on this????

~Support The Troops ~ OIF VET ~
07 Murano SL AWD
04 Lexus IS300
#13 Old 02-26-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezik777 View Post
Any updates on this????
Once I get a go from uprev that any ecu flashing won't affect the cvt, I'll most likely end up getting the tuner package

04 Murano SE AWD
350z midpipe, audio stuff.
85 Toyota MR2
GEN4 3SGTE swap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: