Looking for information... But aren't we all? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for information... But aren't we all?

Hello everyone. I just found this Murano forum and have some questions. I just finished all the mods I want (for now, lol) on my Titan and it's time to turn the attention on the Murano. We have an '09 LE AWD and would like to get more performance out of it. My first instinct was to dump it and get an FX 50 and start from there but the voice of reason (never mine) has spoken and since the Murano is paid for and she likes it, that's what we're going with. I haven't really been able to turn up much information so I was hoping to get more here. What I'm looking for is a list of the "usual suspects" when it comes to performance mods for the Murano. An example for the Titan would be:

Cold Air Intake
Cams
Headers
Exhaust systems
Electronic tuning (Uprev)
Turbo/Supercharger systems
Brake systems
Coil over suspension systems

Also, any information on specific products, brands or methods to look for or stay away from would be of high value. It certainly would have helped me back when I first ripen into my Titan. If anyone needs info on the Titan, I'd be happy to help out with any knowledge I gained about them over the past 6 years of sorting mine out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If you are looking to mod a crossover then you choose the wrong vehicle.

As you will soon learn the aftermarket pieces for the MO are few and far in between. Cams? No. Headers? No. Exhaust systems? Sure, but performance gains from cat-back sytems alone are minimal. Turbo/blowers? Except for a single, short-lived factory prototype I have never even heard of a kit for the MO. There really is not that much out there for the MO.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #3 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Joe - You're right about the Mo not being the best vehicle to mod but the VQ35DE engine has a ton of aftermarket parts for it that would work.

The CVT can't really handle any extra power as far as I've read and researched.

2007 Nissan Murano SL - Platinum
| Nav | Backup Cam | HID | Bose | Leather | Tint | K&N Filter | Custom CF Grille | 22" KMC's on Nitto's | H&R Springs |

post #4 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

I figured he CVT would be the weakest link and not something that can be built-up. While it is very smooth I've never liked it and unless you drive like a blue-haired old lady I think it wastes fuel. I'll try and talk her into the FX 50. It's expensive but she'll have to decide if she wants what she's got plus a little bit more for a lot of $$ or have the performance she wants for a whole lot of $$! If I can get her to drive one, I'll bet that should would want it. In case she wants to keep it, what is the VQ35DE in and where would I find out what will work on her car?
post #5 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM

$60 grand for an FX-50, but it's only money, right?
post #6 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM

Why not an FX35 or FX37?

The VQ35DE is in most 6 cyl Nissan cars.... 350z, Maxima, Altima

| Nav | Backup Cam | HID | Bose | Leather | Tint | K&N Filter | Custom CF Grille | 22" KMC's on Nitto's | H&R Springs |

post #7 of 12 Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Fully optioned out, the Limited Edition AWD FX37 is about $60k, the FX50 is about $67k. The FX50 comes with AWD and all the Limited Edition equipment and more. With 390hp and 369lbs of torque the FX50 will need no major power train modifications. Stock, it runs 0-60 in 5 seconds even and the 1/4 in 13.7 (the same as the Ford Mustang "Bullitt" edition btw). With some relatively inexpensive intake/exhaust bolt-ons and UpRev tuning it will likely be down in and likely below the 13 second 1/4 mile neighborhood. Not too shabby for an SUV. When modifying any vehicle the $7k mark comes and goes very quickly. I've got way more than that in my Titan and I'm still not in that neighborhood but it's 5,100 lb plus truck that tows an 8,700 lb boat and stiil manages a 14.1 1/4 (not with the boat, I never though of that until now, I'll have to run one like that lol) with a mostly stock transmission. If I could have found ANY truck that could perform like mine does now and still pull the boat at ANY price, well under $65k (what I've spent on mine in the last 2 years including purchase price + the extra $7k) I would have bought it and called it a day. Well, maybe I would've done a little bit too it. lol
post #8 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Ok, I stand corrected...$67 grand.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 11:22 AM

If you need all of those options and performance AND have the money. Then definitely go for the FX50. What are you waiting for? lol

post #10 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 05:01 PM

He was trying to see if he could be a cheap a$$ first ...

~Support The Troops ~ OIF VET ~
07 Murano SL AWD
04 Lexus IS300
post #11 of 12 Old 11-26-2013, 03:57 AM

I have been reading your posts regularly. I need to say that you are doing a fantastic job. Please keep up the great work.
post #12 of 12 Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah get a different car instead of souping up the mo..or check out maxima.org for vq35de mods...cvt will bomb once you mod it though!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 Murano SE AWD
Midnight Blue on Beige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: