Only replace the front pair of tires on AWD - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Only replace the front pair of tires on AWD

My 09 Murano has GoodYear Fortera TripleTred(235/65R18) on it. The front tires are almost bald, but the rear ones are still at 8/32". I am thinking only replace the front pair of the tires with GoodYear Assurance TripleTred(235/65R18) (The Fortera was discontinued) and leave the rear pair untouched. Will this do any harm to the transmission, transfer case and differential gears? Do I have to replace all 4 tires with new tires?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-04-2012, 06:25 PM

I wouldn't do it, but I'll be interested to see what other folks on here have to say.
#3 Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
8/32" is a lot of meat. With new tires difference between front threads and rear will surely be less than 7/32", which is probably what you have now (except in reverse) so I don't think it will do any harm. But in AWD you don't want to mix tire types or brands so you need to find out what the difference between the Fortera and Assurance is. If the outside rubber or the size is any different (different brand tires can be physically different in height even if they are marked the same.) Also, you would want to put the better tire in the rear so I would put the new ones in the back and the old ones in the front. Remember to rotate the tires around every 5k miles so you won't run into the same issue again.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#4 Old 11-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Two things occur to me -

First: always have good tread on the back of any car, since if you dynamite the brakes, more traction on the front than on the rear will make the rear end try to come around. (I have demonstrated this to myself in spectacular fashion, fortunately with no other cars around.)

Second: as Z above notes, the critical factor is any difference in tire diameter between front and back. You don't want the front and rear axles turning at different rates. As Z notes, definitely check online references to determine the diameter between the two brands of tires. If there's any significant difference (and I can't define "significant", perhaps the Discount Tire rep who hangs out on this forum can) then replace all 4 and sell the other two on Craigslist. As least you'll get lunch money out of them.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#5 Old 11-05-2012, 01:28 PM

What seems strange to me is that the front tires would be bald, but the rears still have 8/32" on them. I don't know how much tread they had originally, but I'm going to assume no more than 12/32", so the fronts are worn out and the rears only 1/3 of the way gone. Something doesn't seem right here.
#6 Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katz_n_jamer View Post
What seems strange to me is that the front tires would be bald, but the rears still have 8/32" on them. I don't know how much tread they had originally, but I'm going to assume no more than 12/32", so the fronts are worn out and the rears only 1/3 of the way gone. Something doesn't seem right here.
Drive wheels on Murano are in the front. Bald front tires can be easily explained if driver is used to rapidly accelerating, quick stops, and no tire rotations. I am guessing that might be the case here.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#7 Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 AM

THERES a forum on here somewhere about how the Muranos eat tires so its not uncommon
#8 Old 11-06-2012, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboy View Post
THERES a forum on here somewhere about how the Muranos eat tires so its not uncommon
I don't know about that....it depends on the driving habits most of the time and proper alignment. My '04 SE AWD oem eagle lasted 7 years 77K miles before I replaced it with BFGoodrich Longtrail touring. No snow factor is on my side too.

To the OP......If you are putting the same size as the one removed I think it should work. I had a flat once with my oem eagle and used the donut for 50+ miles without any issues. I think so long its the same size 235/65/18 it should be ok. I would just be ready to buy 4 in case. Call around for deals first and then Get 2, drive it around the parking lot and see if the awd lights up if it does not then its good. But if does then the difference is big enough to trip the sensor and you need to change all 4s. They will normally put the new ones on the rear and the old in front. Good luck.
#9 Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebelkhan View Post
Drive wheels on Murano are in the front. Bald front tires can be easily explained if driver is used to rapidly accelerating, quick stops, and no tire rotations. I am guessing that might be the case here.
I understand that, but what the OP states is one huge difference. With almost no wear (I checked, the tires he has had 11/32" when new) on the back, and bald on the front, there has to be something remiss here. I'd be looking for improper alignment, or some suspension issue before I replaced any of the tires.
#10 Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=nitely;202070]I don't know about that....it depends on the driving habits most of the time and proper alignment. My '04 SE AWD oem eagle lasted 7 years 77K miles before I replaced it with BFGoodrich Longtrail touring. No snow factor is on my side too.

I agree...my OEMs lasted 80k before i got rid of um.....Ran Kumho next ..got 30k before the side wall failed......I don't drive hard and agree how you drive, start, stop and the roads are all gonna vary the wear...

I would say to you to get all 4 tires replaced......I blew a sidewall on one had three ok tires but replaced all four....So use one of those nice tires as a full size spare like I did.....eat it on the tires and sleep well knowing your AWD is ok

'04 SE AWD sheer silver
BOSE package
aries nerf bars
drawtite hitch
K&N air filter
#11 Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM

I am not as confident as others that you need to replace all 4 tires. What's wrong with getting advice from a tire pro like the folks at Discount Tire or Tire Rack? It's really just a matter of difference in tire diameter. The less difference the better, but there is some tolerance there. If in doubt, I agree that I would replace all 4 and sell the old ones...tires are much cheaper than transfer cases.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#12 Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
Another great example of why it's so important to rotate tires on AWD vehicles. There's really no excuse on the Murano with it's built in dedicated tire rotation mileage reminder.
#13 Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 AM

I rotate my tires at every oil change. It doesn't cost much, and I think it saves in the long run. AWD and 4WD tend to wear tires differently on the front vs the rear. I learned this a long time ago on 4WD vehicles.
#14 Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Part of the wear equation is the drivetrain operation in FWD. Combined with the fact that the front tires carry more weight, it tends to wear them faster than the rears.

I use a 5,000 mile rotation interval and it appears to be working OK. I'd estimate that with 34,000 miles on my Firestone Destination LEs I'm at about 50% tread, but I haven't stuck a tread gauge on them. They're certainly good for this winter.

I like the fact that I can set my own reminder intervals for oil and tire changes - someone mentioned here that they set them both at 5K miles and I thought that was a good idea, so I did it as well. I do my own tire rotations in the driveway with a pair of floor jacks, so the extra cost for tire rotation is Zero....and it's a good excuse for a cold beer afterwards.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#15 Old 12-12-2012, 01:13 PM

Pilgrim, how satisfied have you been with the Firestone Destination LE? I'm thinking about them as a replacement for my Goodyear Eagles.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: