A note about TMPS Alarm - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 02-22-2013, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
A note about TPMS Alarm

The vehicle is a 2007 Murano, 81K miles. I had a shop do a full alignment on it this week, and I didn't think to comment about the tires. But the shop works mostly on German cars, so they tend to be thorough and picky about details.

In this case, I didn't know if but they reduced the tire pressures all around to about 33 PSI. Which - after about three miles of driving - resulted in a tire alarm on the dash. I used the onboard monitor to check pressure while driving and determined that I didn't have any actual low tire emergency, so I just drove home and aired the tires up to my preferred everyday pressure, 40 PSI.

The result: the TMPS warning went away immediately. Also, the readout on the dash shows tire pressures to be about 3 PSI lower than the actual pressure in the tires.

What do I deduce from this?

- The TMPS monitor may not read pressure accurately; there is some margin of error.
- Running tires below @35 PSI can potentially result in false alarms from the TMPS system. (If it reads 3 PSI lower than actual, it's constantly on the edge of an alarm.)
- The dashboard pressure warning will turn off pretty quickly if pressure is restored to the tires.

This is not a problem for me as I run slightly higher pressures to improve handling and MPG, but it's another data point in the ongoing discussion about tire pressures.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pilgrim .............. What you mentioned about the reading of 3# psi lower is why in my posts and from others about getting the TPMS sensor light to go off, we say to over inflate 3-4# psi higher then what the sticker says on the door jam. Doing this assures the psi is indeed high enough to get the TPMS low tire pressure light to go off. As for the light going out... sometimes it will go out in 5+- miles or so and sometimes I have seen it take 35+ miles. At least this what I have seen with various vehicles over the last few years since TPMS sensors have been mandated.

By the way, my preferred everyday psi/what I run with in the Murano is 37# psi.

eeeee
#3 Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I think thats also why they went away from dash readouts of tire psi, the fact that many of the monitors were not so acurate in reporting of psi (which also sucks because i do believe they are quite expensive)

That said, i still wouldnt mind a dash readout on gen II muranos

I think there have been other threads about people complaining of having to run 2-3 psi higher than the door sticker in order to get the light to go out and they werent real happy about it.

2010 Murano SL AWD
#4 Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman311 View Post
I think thats also why they went away from dash readouts of tire psi, the fact that many of the monitors were not so acurate in reporting of psi (which also sucks because i do believe they are quite expensive)

That said, i still wouldnt mind a dash readout on gen II muranos

I think there have been other threads about people complaining of having to run 2-3 psi higher than the door sticker in order to get the light to go out and they werent real happy about it.
That's one reason I posted about it. Frankly, I think 35 PSI is a MINIMUM for the Murano, and they drive and handle better with a bit more pressure. But many people really haven't learned much about how to use tire pressures to their advantage - they just use what's on the sticker, so it's also a chance to educate them about their choices.

I don't mind the inaccuracy as long as I know the amount of error - IMO it's better to have the info and adjust mentally than get an alarm of "low pressure" with no other information. In my case, the readout with approximate tire pressure gave me assurance that it wasn't an emergency and I could drive home.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#5 Old 02-23-2013, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I have always run 35 - 36# in mine and never had an issue with the sensors. I have always thought 33# was an odd number. I'm not sure how that was derived.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#6 Old 02-23-2013, 11:18 AM

Auto magazines like Car & Driver have asserted that tire pressure sticker recommendations are a compromise between comfort and handling. Different companies seem to balance that equation differently. A decade or two ago I remember the car mags complaining that the balance tipped too far to comfort with tires running too soft. With more emphasis on gas mileage I'm surprised that recommended pressures are not higher.

But there are many fans of cushy rides. We hear from them here sometimes.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#7 Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 PM

Pilgrim ........... I know you recommend / encourage inflating to 40# psi / high psi's. Years, years ago, when I had different rims I would probably have little issue with this. Problem is today's rims are a tad more fragile. Higher psi can go hand in hand with tire and or rim damage. Also, high psi can also go hand in hand with front end alignment going out when you hit a pot bump a curb, hit a small pot hole. Hit a pot hole or curb with an high psi tire and it transfers to the vehicle more so then with a softer tire/less psi tire.

Anyway, a tire inflated to an inflation/psi that takes ALL into consideration is a better way to go.

Personally, with say my 20's and the Nissan rims they are on, I would not consider inflating to 40# psi. On the other hand, I would not inflate to the psi that Nissan recommends based on ride comfort/ on gas mileage. I inflate to 37# which is kinda in the middle. Not to hard, not to soft. With the 37#, I am aiming at rim and tire protection.... looking for less issues with wheel alignment if I hit a small pot hole, etc., looking for better gas mileage, less TPMS warning light issues and of course concerned about ride comfort. In closing 40# psi is not something I would consider not would running at the psi on the door jam. If my mindset was outdated / my thoughts were back where they were in the say the 70's, 80's, I might go with 40psi....

eeeee
#8 Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 PM

Hey, no problem. I double-checked my gauges and there's about two PSI difference in readings, which probably means that I need different gauges.

But that means that my settings have probably been in the range of 38-40 PSI most of the time. I think you're making a good call with the pressures you choose. Nothing makes more difference in a vehicle's handling than the tires on it, and tire pressures are a critical factor on how those tires behave. Any autocrosser knows that a difference of a few PSI in tires makes a significant difference in handling on the course.

Of course, in everyday use, ride must be considered as well as handling, and so must road conditions. That's one reason I get nervous on behalf of some folks who run ++ size wheels and end up with tires having sidewall profiles under about a 50-ratio. When tire sidewalls get shorter than that, I think there is real risk of tire and wheel damage from potholes or road debris.

We don't have a lot of potholes around here, so I'm fortunate in that regard. I agree that higher pressures transmit more shock to the suspension, as the tires are a primary agent in absorbing shock...but I'm OK with that part of running higher pressures. I think you're right that more vibration and shock transmitted to the suspension will contribute to wear, but for me that's a reasonable trade-off. How much difference 3-5 PSI might make is anyone's guess.

I don't agree with the assertion that higher PSI links to tire or rim damage in today's wheels. The lower the pressure, the farther the tire will deform when hitting a pothole or object in the road, while the higher the pressure, the less the tire will deform. This is well known to contribute to wheel damage in very low profile tires, but the Murano's factlry wheel/tire combinations aren't that low in profile. Provided the tires aren't hard as concrete, there should be less effect - especially with low profile tires, which the Murano does not have.

Yesterday's steel wheels would bend but seldom broke when hitting an obstacle or curb. Today's cast wheels are more resistant to bending, but they can crack or break. The cast wheels I have mistreated have taken more impact without breaking than steel wheels would take without bending.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#9 Old 02-23-2013, 02:55 PM

snipe:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I don't agree with the assertion that higher PSI links to tire or rim damage in today's wheels. The lower the pressure, the farther the tire will deform when hitting a pothole or object in the road, while the higher the pressure, the less the tire will deform. This is well known to contribute to wheel damage in very low profile tires, but the Murano's factlry wheel/tire combinations aren't that low in profile. Provided the tires aren't hard as concrete, there should be less effect - especially with low profile tires, which the Murano does not have.
Yes, agreed... I was talking as you put it, hard as concrete psi. While not hard as concrete, I would not run with 40# psi for all the reasons, I mentioned. Hey, good going back and forth with you Pilgrim..

eeeee
#10 Old 02-23-2013, 03:25 PM

Always a pleasure, Bill. Many of the things we debate have no black & white answers, but it's good to occasionally explore the logic behind our decisions. In fact, it's good to be asked questions and find out if there IS logic behind our decisions!

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#11 Old 02-24-2013, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the info on this. I have a 2007 SE, 80,000 KM, and have been getting an error reading on one tire, ie the **. I have my pressure at 34 with my own tire guage which I am quite sure is accurate, and the digital readout is also saying 34. I took the Mo into a garage and the mechanic checked all 4 of them and said they were all sending out a reading. He then did a re-set on all of them and the error reading went away---for a few miles BUT it then came back and is still a problem.
I will try 37 pounds on my own guage and see if that will clear it up although I doubt it as I have had higher pressure in them before. Cheers/Bill
#12 Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Question for the guru's!

What would cause the sensors to all of the sudden show up as ** on the screen?

While riding back from a relaxful weekend in southern NM I get the yellow TPMS light on my gauge cluster. I go to the TPMS screen and the bottom 2 slots are **. Sometimes the 3rd row will go ** but not all the time. Shutting down and restarting the motor will usually resolve this. Is there an issue with the computer not reading the sensors correctly?

Kind of odd that my MO is all of the sudden doing this.

And...yes...my TPMS sensors all read about 3PSI below what they're actually at. A very poor design if you ask me. They've never been absolutely accurate, which is what I expect. Unreasonable?!?!?

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#13 Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Question for the guru's!

What would cause the sensors to all of the sudden show up as ** on the screen?

Kind of odd that my MO is all of the sudden doing this.
Strange - my 04 SE with 105K also just started doing this exact same thing, but just one sensor is acting up (I don't know which one it is, but it is always the same position on the maintenance read out). Never when I first start the car, but always after driving for about 20 minutes. Turning the car off and restarting it, always clears the TPMS alarm. Oh yeah, and I have all 4 tires at about 37 psi.

Funny that a number of us are all seeing the same problem. Hopefully, someone can come up with a solution.
#14 Old 02-26-2013, 10:22 PM

I'll be danged if I know. I suppose you could add a few PSI all around and try driving it and see if the alarm goes off. I have no idea if the sensors become less sensitive over time.

Incidentally, I did some surfing and found at least one site where a full set of TPMS sensors for the 07 Murano (mine) can be bought for $140.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#15 Old 02-27-2013, 09:59 AM

It looks like these sensors are a PITA. I always watched my tire pressure carefully with my non sensor Maxima and never had any problems. I only have one ** at the moment but if any more show up, I'll be tempted to turf the sensor thing altogether. Question--did I read right that the newer generation did away with the TPMS? If so, I can really understand why.
Cheers.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: