Nav Override Completed - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 08-07-2010, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb Nav Override / Bypass Instructions

DISCLAIMER: This mod was done so that my passenger can use the usually grayed out features of the Nav / Phone screens. THE DRIVER SHOULD NEVER USE THESE FEATURES. DO NOT WATCH MOVIES WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING. If you "rear end" someone while trying to type "Dunkin' Donuts", you were warned !

Having said that...
The Nav bypass on a Murano LE is quite easy. Unlike Lexus / Toyota which detect movement using both the GPS and Vehicle Speed Sensor, Nissan only uses the speed sensor. Nissan also uses the parking brake signal for video. Both of these signals are available on one connector on the rear of the Nav / Hard drive unit in the center dashboard. The parking brake signal input to the Nav may be safely grounded as its only purpose is to keep the video from coming on when the brake isn't applied. (Don't worry about the warning signal that alerts you when you leave your parking brake on, it will still work. The wire splits to the combination meter ( that's car talk for the dash speedometer cluster) and then on to the Nav unit. If it still bothers you, you can get a Double Pole Double Throw switch instead of a Single Pole Single Throw switch and have it back to stock when the switch is off.)

So in a "nutshell", the mod is to ground the parking brake signal input and put the Vehicle Speed Sensor input to a switch that can be turned on and off. I put mine in the unused "blank" next to the "Trunk Opening Switch". I wanted to mount my switch before I took apart my dashboard so I bought another "blank". The Nissan part number is 68492-AX000. It cost less than $10 at a local dealer. I thought it might be nice to use a genuine "back door master switch" but that would require a mating connector and did I mention that it costs $275, yes I typed correctly, the stupid SPST 1A switch that disables the rear door costs $275. A little much don't you think?

How To Details...
Go to the Photo Gallery section and look at my album. (Make sure you click "Sort by Name" so they are in order)

Nissan Murano Photo Gallery - MuranoLE10 Gallery

Assuming you are fairly mechanically inclined and can cut a wire, it is not that difficult to do. If, however, you don't know a phillips head from a slotted, don't attempt it. If you are careful, no one will even be able to tell you cut the wire as Nissan uses a wire bundle cover that can be opened and closed again. It is very sticky. One note, definitely put a thick towel down in front of the shift knob as the Nav unit is a sheet metal box and will surely scratch the plastic when you tilt it down.
I found the hardest part to be removing the "switch blank". There is a snap tab on the top and bottom and you have to jam something in there to pry them up so you can remove the blank. It came out but I sure didn't want to break the tabs off so I was very careful.

In photo 17, the Violet wire is the speed sensor. The green is the parking brake. I didn't take a picture but I put a self tapping ground screw in a piece of sheet metal under the dash for the ground for the parking brake.
I bought a DPST switch from Grainger part number 2TPK6 because they had it in stock but I didn't need the double pole because I grounded the parking brake signal all of the time. If you want not to do that you would need a DPDT because the signals are opposite. i.e. when the speed signal is open the parking brake needs to go to ground. (See the attached file circuit.pdf)

Good Luck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Circuit.pdf (7.3 KB, 921 views)

Last edited by MuranoLE10; 08-09-2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added Circuit Diagram PDF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2011, 03:47 PM

Can this same mod be done to an '06 LE?
#3 Old 05-11-2011, 02:40 PM

Will this work on a '09 SL?
#4 Old 05-12-2011, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Good info in this thread too - Video while driving...

2009 LE AWD Merlot
Loaded w/ NAV 20" rims
#5 Old 05-24-2011, 02:17 PM

I am sure it can be done to any year or model with Nav. The issues are... which are the two wires and how is the Nav unit removed from the dash? I purchased the 24 hour subscription to the repair manual from the Nissan site, Nissan Publications , and downloaded the pdf's which had the wiring diagram and dash removal instructions.

Good Luck
#6 Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
On my 2011 Murano LE, I installed a nifty kit that with a click of a separate remote I am able to turn on the rear camera when I am driving/moving forward. Another button click allows me full, unrestricted use of the NAV system and my phone system. Another button click and I can play DVD movies from the NAV unit while the vehicle is driving/moving. The kit I installed is plug and play, no cutting of wires and takes most anyone about 35 minutes to install. (No more Nissan dictating what features I am able to use)
#7 Old 06-25-2011, 11:15 PM
The Phone Booth Fanatic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillArf View Post
On my 2011 Murano LE, I installed a nifty kit that with a click of a separate remote I am able to turn on the rear camera when I am driving/moving forward. Another button click allows me full, unrestricted use of the NAV system and my phone system. Another button click and I can play DVD movies from the NAV unit while the vehicle is driving/moving. The kit I installed is plug and play, no cutting of wires and takes most anyone about 35 minutes to install. (No more Nissan dictating what features I am able to use)

Well… ????. ELABORATE!

Take care!

Jim

"The pathologically precise are annoying, but right."

2009 LE - Black/Black
- Nissan JDM LED DRLs
- Nissan JDM Black Chrome Grille
- Nissan JDM Side Window Visors
- Color-matched Lower Bumper Covers
- Black Chrome Nissan Front and Rear Emblems
- 255/50-20 Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires
- Refinished 20" OEM LE Wheels in Nissan GTR Hyper-Smoke
- Stealth Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
- Hoen Xenonmatch Fog Light Bulbs
- Hella Supertone Horns
- 35% Tinted Front Side Windows
#8 Old 06-25-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red kiosk View Post
Well… ????. ELABORATE!

Take care!

Jim

The kit mentioned was installed today in my Murano. It was the first install in a Murano. The kit will work specifically/only with the 2011 Murano with NAV. Install was extremely easy and can be easily accomplished by most anyone that can turn a phillips head screwdriver and follow very simple/basic instructions. No cutting of any wires involved. Totally plug and play and install takes approx 35 mins.. I was amazed at how easy the install was. After install all you see at hand is the remote fob that has 4 buttons on it. You use 3 of the 4 buttons to perform the tasks I mentioned in my last post.. The kit will soon be available for others ... Price: $149.99 plus shipping ($10.95 US Priority Mail, $45 International Express Mail) The kit is being assembled by a fellow (not me) that is very talented and his workmanship is top notch. He is assembling the kit in his home workshop. Again, his workmanship is top notch! I will post more on this after the fellow has his web page online.
#9 Old 06-26-2011, 04:19 PM

Pics of what is in the kit for the 2011 Murano with NAV that I mentioned in my last post:

Kit will only work with the 2011 Murano with NAV

Plug and play. Absolutely no cutting of any wires. Tools required: Phillips head screwdriver.

Uses 4 button remote
  • Button 1 overide the Parking Brake Sensor (the kit can also be configured so this is permanently over-ridden)
  • Button 2 override the Speed Sensor
  • Button 3 Activate the rear camera (if installed) without needing to be in reverse
#10 Old 06-28-2011, 09:25 PM

In about 8 mins and 10 or so screws removed later you easily access the AV unit. Connect the kit (plug and play...easy) and then just reassemble (easy) and the install is complete. Below are some pics of my '11 Murano LE with NAV bearing all during the kit install.. By the way, you don't even need to disconnect the battery prior to install. Do keep the Nissan key fob a distance away from the vehicle though to avoid unintentional ignition turn on. 8-)

#11 Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Was just thinking I should mention that this bypass kit is also offered for the 2010-2011 GTR with Nav and the 2010/2011 370Z with Nav.

As for why this kit will not work for the the 2010 Murano and older Murano's but only for the 2011 Murano with Nav is because the 2011 Murano with Nav has the latest AV/Nav system from Nissan. This newer system uses a different plug on the AV unit which makes this kit install possible. I was fortunate enough to get the fellow to make a kit for my 2011 Murano with Nav which he is now making available to other 2011 Murano with Nav owner's.

I just started a new forum topic that is specifically related to the BDL ByPass Kit (Remote based) mentioned in the last 5 posts in this thread..
It's own topic area would make it easier for those 2011 Murano with Nav owner's interested in such a kit to find.

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/8...ypass-kit.html

I just made up a little picture review with some instruction on the install of the NAV over-ride kit I installed on my 2011 Murano with NAV. If you would like a looksee/a copy, feel go to the link above to obtain it.
#12 Old 07-12-2011, 01:50 PM

Did the mods of grounding the er brake and speed sensor but get the chime for er brake constantly. Anyone know how to disable it?
#13 Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin06 View Post
Did the mods of grounding the er brake and speed sensor but get the chime for er brake constantly. Anyone know how to disable it?
What year Murano? Does it have factory Nav? You said you "Did the mods" ......... did you incorporate a DPDT or DPST rocker switch? If you have Nav you would have wanted the DPDT or DPST rocker switch. With no Nav you can just cut the VSS wire along with cutting and grounding the parking brake signal wire and not incorporate a switch. Which did you do?

Either way, your brake chime issue may (?) be related to a poor / improper ground of that cut parking brake signal wire.
#14 Old 07-12-2011, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Not sure how to get around the chime if you simply ground the E brake. Like Bill said, the Double Pole switch is the best way to go.

2009 LE AWD Merlot
Loaded w/ NAV 20" rims
#15 Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 PM

To enable video only would i just need to ground the green wire?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: