Nissan Murano Forum banner

Details of Adding OEM Navigation & Color Screen to My 2003 Murano

102K views 196 replies 37 participants last post by  XanaviNet 
#1 ·
Hey Gang!

OK, FINALLY!! Here are all of the gory details, complete with pics, of the steps involved in adding OEM navigation to my 2003 MO which shipped from the factory with the amber (orange) display w/integrated display controller, and no factory navigation. Please excuse the multiple posts, but I don’t know how to add more than one picture to a post.

I decided to undertake this challenge after I found an eBay auction from LKQ Corporation, (http://www.lkqonline.com/ ), which included all of the components I needed to do the conversion including:

• Color Display – Part Number: 28090 CA100, Model Number: TR-LM7WB1N, Serial Number: FA3430295, Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
• Display Controller Unit (DCU) – Part Number: 28330 CB600, Model #: DCU-6104G(US), Part Name: CONT ASSY-AV, Serial Number: 30700033
• Navigation Controller Unit (NCU) - Part Number: 25915 CA103, Model Number: NCU-6110G (US), Part Name: CONT ASSY-NAVI, Serial Number: 30700033
• GPS Antenna – Part Number: 25975 CA100, Model Number: AGP-3090V, Part Name: ANT ASSY-GPS, Serial Number: 322007831, Xanavi Informatics
• AC/AV Center Console assembly w/Bose Radio , cassette player, 6 Disc Changer, & AC/AV switches for navigation.

I paid $1048 for this auction, including shipping.

Here is a picture of my old amber (orange) display… the starting point:

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: gordita and tony m
#52 ·
Hawk05

When I called the company I explained what I
was doing and the guarenteed that this product
would work. There is also a 30 day return if for
some reason it would not. No it is not 12 v but you
would use a converter to get it to 12v.

Thanks

#53 ·
phoenix54,

I hope you are still out there. I asked you this question before, but I think you misunderstood me based on your answer.

If I was to swap my 05 orange screen for a color screen from an 06/07 "without the navigation", do you think it would still require the purchase of the main harness.

I'm guessing I just need the color screen and color display controller, and maybe the AV/AC controller from 06/07. Can I use the same plug from the back of my orange screen and plug it into the display controller? If pins are in different locations, can I just which them around? Is there a seperate harness from the controller to the color screen? Again, I'm not looking to have the navigation, just the color screen from the 06/07.

Thanks with any help.

-biggun

#54 ·
Hey Biggun,

The connector which plugs into the orange integrated display is not pin compatible with the color display. There are signals that are common to both connectors, but as you guessed, they are not on the same connectors. There are also signals required for the integrated (orange) display that are not required for the color display and vice-versa. All of the signals for the color display come from the display controller (DCU). The signals you need to tap into for the DCU ARE available from the integrated harness. You could make your own harness to go from the DCU to the color display, and the other connector that plugs into the DCU, but you would need the connectors and have to be careful with some of the signals that need to be shielded.

If you PM me with your email address I will send you a couple of MS Excel spreadsheets I put together which show you the signal differences between the integrated display and the color display/DCU.

Hope this answers your question!

Phoenix54

#55 ·
Hey Biggun,

Sorry, I forgot to mention you would NOT have to change the AV/AC controller. :) You would have to change this ONLY if you were looking to add OEM NAV.

Cheers!

Phoenix54

#56 ·
phoenix54

great job!

You deserve to be "sticky"....;)

#57 ·
phoenix54 said:
Hey Biggun,

The connector which plugs into the orange integrated display is not pin compatible with the color display. There are signals that are common to both connectors, but as you guessed, they are not on the same connectors. There are also signals required for the integrated (orange) display that are not required for the color display and vice-versa. All of the signals for the color display come from the display controller (DCU). The signals you need to tap into for the DCU ARE available from the integrated harness. You could make your own harness to go from the DCU to the color display, and the other connector that plugs into the DCU, but you would need the connectors and have to be careful with some of the signals that need to be shielded.

If you PM me with your email address I will send you a couple of MS Excel spreadsheets I put together which show you the signal differences between the integrated display and the color display/DCU.

Hope this answers your question!

Phoenix54
Thanks Phoenix, I sent you a PM with my email.

Nissan and their damn integrated harnesses! From what I understand, all that would be required (in addition to the reconfig. of some pins on the original display harness) is a 16 pin harness from the color display controller and the color display. The key item for this project to be feasable is going to be the ability to make my own harness. The problems will be, as you stated, the sheilded wires and connectors.

Thanks again,

-biggun

#58 ·
Hey Biggun,

I sent the MS Excel file I promised I would send you, but it looks like it "bounced". Please double-check the email address you PM'd me.

Note that there are multiple tabs or worksheets in this file. The first one is for the integrated display. It is called an integrated display because the display controller is built into the display, unlike the color display which has a separate controller. Both the color display and integrated display use 24 pin connectors, but as I said earlier, the pin-out is different. In addition, the 24 pin connector for the integrated display (M39) doesn’t use pins 5, 15 or 17-24. They are “no connects”. The 24 pin connector for the color display (M38) doesn’t use pin 4, 5, 10. 12, 15, 16, 20, or 24. So, as you can see, the 24 pin connector (M39) for the integrated has some pins physically present in the connector that 24 pin connector for the color display (M38) doesn't have, and vice-versa.

The Display Control Unit (DCU) has two connectors, a 24 pin connector, (the one that goes to the color display), and a 32 pin connector.

The net-net of all this is that if you went the route of building your own harness you really need the three connectors, (one for color display and two for the DCU), to really be able to pull this off. Your best shot at using the existing 24 pin connector going to the integrated display would be to use as the 24 pin connector that plugs into the DCU rather than the color display.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions, I’m happy to help! :2:

Phoenix54

#195 ·
Hey Biggun,

I sent the MS Excel file I promised I would send you, but it looks like it "bounced". Please double-check the email address you PM'd me.

Note that there are multiple tabs or worksheets in this file. The first one is for the integrated display. It is called an integrated display because the display controller is built into the display, unlike the color display which has a separate controller. Both the color display and integrated display use 24 pin connectors, but as I said earlier, the pin-out is different. In addition, the 24 pin connector for the integrated display (M39) doesn’t use pins 5, 15 or 17-24. They are “no connects”. The 24 pin connector for the color display (M38) doesn’t use pin 4, 5, 10. 12, 15, 16, 20, or 24. So, as you can see, the 24 pin connector (M39) for the integrated has some pins physically present in the connector that 24 pin connector for the color display (M38) doesn't have, and vice-versa.

The Display Control Unit (DCU) has two connectors, a 24 pin connector, (the one that goes to the color display), and a 32 pin connector.

The net-net of all this is that if you went the route of building your own harness you really need the three connectors, (one for color display and two for the DCU), to really be able to pull this off. Your best shot at using the existing 24 pin connector going to the integrated display would be to use as the 24 pin connector that plugs into the DCU rather than the color display.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions, I’m happy to help! :2:

Phoenix54
Bub can u send the instructions and shopping list to my email 8ve wanted the color screen and Navi real bad if u can it would be mostly appreciated

#59 ·
phoenix54 said:
Your best shot at using the existing 24 pin connector going to the integrated display would be to use as the 24 pin connector that plugs into the DCU rather than the color display.

Phoenix54
That is exactly what I was thinking. So, I would need just a harness with the two connectors - from the DCU to the color display.

#60 ·
You got it Biggun!! Good luck, and if you build your own harness don't forget to use shielded cable for signals susceptible to crosstalk & "noise".

Phoenix54

#61 ·
Replacing 05 orange screen and head unit with 06 color screen and head unit

Is there anything else I will need inorder to replacing 05 orange screen and head unit with 06 color screen and head unit? got one off ebay :)

#62 ·
Scorpious,

See my replies to Biggun on the previous page regarding what you need to do to put a color screen in a MO with the orange (integrated) display.

Phoenix54

#63 ·
What did you get off of ebay? I have seen auctions that have the radio and screen, but not necessarily the color controller. If not, you will need to purchase that as well for it to work.

#64 ·
Biggun:

this is what i got off ebay. Hope I didn't waste money.

You are bidding on a 2006 Nissan Murano CD Radio with control display, a/c control heater control, trip display, and fuel display. The info display screen is included with this auction with pigtail. This unit is complete with a tan colored bezel. Please see all attached photos for all included items.

thanks phoenix54 for you help

#65 ·
here is a pic of the head unit and display

:)

Attachments

#66 ·
Scorpious SPKC said:
here is a pic of the head unit and display

:)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it does not appear that the display control unit (DCU) was included. It should look something like this (pic as provided by Phoenix54):

#67 ·
Hey Scorpious,

You also need the Display Control Unit or DCU as the color display does NOT have an integrated display controller like the orange display does.

It mounts below the display and looks like this.

Phoenix54

Attachments

#68 ·
phoenix54

found parts at the same ebay location as you www.lkqonline.com

i attached a pic of the back of the unit they sold

can you buy DCU from nissan or somewhere else. sorry to beat a dead horse i'm under the weather an my brain isn't working very well. HAHAHA!!!

anyway thanks for all your advice your conversion lookes great.

Attachments

#69 ·
Hey Scorpious,

Yes, you can buy the DCU from Nissan but it is going to be pretty pricey. I'm not sure how much exactly. Did you check with LKQ Online?? Unless they sold the DCU to somebody else, the car from which they took the color display and radio assembly should still have the DCU. Check with them QUICK though in case they send the rest of the car to the CRUSHER!!

Member 07Muano may have a DCU for sale here in a couple of weeks as he is installing OEM navigation in his 07 MO same as I did to my 03, and had to get a different DCU to accomodate the Navigation Control Unit. You might check with him.

Good Luck! :)

Phoenix54

#70 ·
Here I thought the only hard part was actually finding all the necessary parts and the price :( . Kudos to you phoenix :) great job!.

Now... hawk5

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. You hit it on the head. I own, and sell if anybody is interested, the Coolnavi 700 GPS unit. It fits in the factory screen slot and is already set up with two 3.5 mm to RCA AV jacks. As far as I know you only need the yellow RCA jack for the video, red and white are for sound, so if the factory screen is left connected then all we need to know is what wire in the factory harness is for video. Pushing AV1 on my remote will transfer the factory screen image and all the original stock controls will still operate the software, simple. Now if someone can just tell us which stupid wire is the video source we can all be in business. If you have an installer that knows please let me know if he has any clue as to what wire we need to tap.
This sounds like something I would be interested in, did you ever manage to get this done??

#71 ·
Yes, read the post from the beginning.

#73 ·
Sorry!! :1pat:

#75 ·
Thanks! :) No, it is far from Plug 'N Play. The orange screen has an integrated display controller, the color display has a SEPARATE display controller or "DCU". The plug that plugs into the integrated controller is different too. In short you would need to do everything I did with the exception of adding the navigation controller and antenna. Not a trivial upgrade by any stretch of the imagination.

Hope that helps, though I am sure it is not the answer you wanted to hear!

Phoenix54

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.