AWD Issues...Discovered it has no Rear Drive Shaft. What now? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
AWD Issues...Discovered it has no Rear Drive Shaft. What now?

New to me 2 month ago from a dealer (2004 SL AWD)...first snow storm in new england and AWD does not work. I take it to the shop and they tell me it has no rear drive shaft.

What are the reasons the previous owner would have removed the rear drive shaft? Transfer case or final drive?

I have seen a lot of posts on failed TC, is there a way to inspect without rear drive shaft installed? I'm looking for any advice of how i can inspect to see what the extend of the issue could be.

2004 SL AWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
bg-

Unless your MO was purchased "as-is" I would contact the dealer. Did the car come with any "xx-Point Inspection"? If so it would be interesting to hear how the dealer justifies the missing driveshaft.

Now on to your questions...

It is plausible a prior owner removed the driveshaft to 1) improve gas mileage, 2) reduce the possibility of a transfer case failure, or 3) improve drivability after a transfer case failure.

Assuming it is 1 or 2 then simply reinstalling a driveshaft gets you AWD. However, if it is 3 then you are looking at repair bill on the high side of $1,000.

I cannot beleive a dealer would market an AWD car knowing the rear driveshaft is missing. They are either incompetent or unscrupulous. Was this a New or Used-car dealer?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 AM

wtf??? can you take pictures and show us??

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

04 Murano SL AWD
PAC IPOD controller
Rockford Fosgate R1T-S tweeters
Alpine SPR-60 6.5 cm front doors
Polk DXI6500 6.5 cm component system rear doors
JL Audio Slash 300/4v2 4 channel amp
Rockford Fosgate r30012 powered 12" Subwoofer
#4 Old 01-10-2013, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yea, I'm interested in seeing pictures as well.

Sounds fraudulent to me on the dealership's side. I'd take a straight b-line down there and corner their manager.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#5 Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 PM

AWD Issues...Discovered it has no Rear Drive Shaft. What now?

Thanks for your responses. Car came from used dealer. It was stated and advertised as fully serviced and ready to go. SL AWD!

I talked with the owner of the dealership today and he is going talk to the shop that "serviced" prior to sale.

Options 1 and 2 above are hopeful (as I have been thinking), but highly doubtful I think. I have a feeling it is option 3 (TC or rear electric control coupling).

I'm going to stop by the local nissan dealer tomorrow and ask if they can diagnose without the shaft or do I need to pick up a used drive shaft before they can look at it.

I included some pictures and from the surface rust it looks like the shaft has been missing for some time.

AWD Issues...Discovered it has no Rear Drive Shaft.  What now?-img00458-20130109-1903.jpg

AWD Issues...Discovered it has no Rear Drive Shaft.  What now?-img00459-20130109-1905.jpg

AWD Issues...Discovered it has no Rear Drive Shaft.  What now?-img00461-20130109-1905.jpg

AWD Issues...Discovered it has no Rear Drive Shaft.  What now?-img00467-20130109-1914.jpg

2004 SL AWD
#6 Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What you're missing is the propeller shaft 2004 Nissan Murano Propeller Shaft - 37061 -- . Once you put that back in you will know why the original owner pulled it out. Possibly the rear diff is acting up. Good luck. Wasn't the AWD light lit up all the time since you got the car?
#7 Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

bg-

Thanx for the revealing photos. Seeing is believing. :eek:

I have a really hard time believing a car dealer would sell an AWD vehicle knowing a critical component, such as the driveshaft, was missing. Was there any warranty, implied or otherwise, given?

On an AWD MO the driveshaft is moving whenever the vehicle is in motion. The torque is transmitted to the rear wheels when the AWD clutch, located on the front-end of the rear differential, is energized. It is plausible the AWD clutch failed. This can happen when the MO is towed without a dolly.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#8 Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hopefully the dealer will work this out for you without hassle, if not, BBB and the court is available.

Rky
#9 Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM

No lights on the car (no check engine, AWD, etc).

Does anyone know if I would hear/feel/etc if the transfer case was bad even tho the shaft isn't installed? I know the TC internal components should still be rotating, but dont know if the shaft connection is needed to hear/feel/etc the symptoms.

Obviously I dont want anything to be wrong with it, but sounds like i would rather have it be the AWD clutch/electric control coupling than the TC. Ref NTB10029. Anyone know how to test AWD clutch for failure?

subject: SB Murano & Rogue; Grinding/Knocking Noise From Rear When Turning Summary of NTB10029:
IF YOU CONFIRM There is a grinding or knocking noise or vibration from the rear of the vehicle: - when making wide turns - on dry roads - at low speeds (under 20 MPH). ACTION Remove the Rear Propeller Shaft and test drive the vehicle. Ifthe noise/vibration DOES NOT stop, this bulletin DOES NOT APPLY. Refer to ASIST for further diagnostic assistance. If the noise/vibration DOES stop, replace the Electrical Coupling Assy. (CPLG ASSY-ELEC) with the one from the Parts Information sectionof this bulletin. Refer to the appropriate section in the Electronic Service Manual for removal and installation. DO NOT replace the entire Rear Final Drive assembly for this incident, if it should occur. See this bulletin for further detail.

2004 SL AWD
#10 Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Based on what you have written, I would not give in on this issue easily.

Rky
#11 Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
This is really bogus. I'm sure you would not have a problem at all taking this idiot to small claims court. He obviously misrepresented this car.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#12 Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
This is really bogus. I'm sure you would not have a problem at all taking this idiot to small claims court. He obviously misrepresented this car.
Some cars are sold with an "AS-IS" disclaimer, which makes it difficult to hold the seller responsible.

-njjoe

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#13 Old 01-11-2013, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
There were a couple of members here who either disconnected the clutch pack or removed drive shaft when the clutch pack started to act up. If there was anything wrong with TC or the 3rd member itself I think you would still feel or hear it without drive shaft being installed. So I think best case scenario this is the case of an owner thinking conversion to 2WD would save on gas, or a worst case scenario a bad clutch pack.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#14 Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Well, what doesn't make sense is the statement...It was stated and advertised as fully serviced and ready to go. SL AWD!

I think if you had that advertisement, you could make a pretty good case against the dealer.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#15 Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
Well, what doesn't make sense is the statement...It was stated and advertised as fully serviced and ready to go. SL AWD!

I think if you had that advertisement, you could make a pretty good case against the dealer.
Yeah, I'd love to know if it came with a 100-point checklist and if the driveline box was checked. That could prove embarrassing to the dealer.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: