Nissan Murano Forum banner

Intake Air Duct Recall (2003-2007)

49K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
Nissan is voluntarily recalling 362,891 first-gen MOs to repair/replace the engine air intake duct.

According to the NHTSA release, "The intake ducts, which are connected to the intermediate resonator in the air intake system of the engine, may separate from the resonator with engine movement. This separation occurs due to the premature aging of the material used in the intake air ducts which causes excessive shrinking."

Nissan plans to notify the dealers by July 2, 2009, and begin owner notification on July 6, 2009.

Owners who had repair work done prior to the recall will be reimbursed.

The recall is 09V169000.

-njjoe

#4 ·
Hi guys,

Could that be the cause for my problem?...

I posted it on a separate thread - basically when it's warmer and I drive too fast or too slow in traffic my car stops accelerating. It comes back to normal if I let it cool down for 15 - 30 minutes.

Someone suggested it might be the high fluid temperature protection mode. The dealer says I need a new transmission (!...)

I remember reading other posts on the forum where people had similar symptoms (and dealer diagnostic) but it was simply something to do with this air intake thing.

Can you guys help me out with more details about this?

Thank you.

#5 ·
That is easy to find out. Next time your engine is warm and the issue resurfaces, pop the hood open and take a look at the rubber boot that goes between the air cleaner assembly and the intake manifold. Try to move it to see if it slides on the metal parts of either on the air cleaner side or the intake manifold, or if there is a gap at all. If so, then that is your problem.

#8 ·
Gonzo said:
Wow I didn't think it was that big of an issue.
G-

I am with you on this one.

I did not realize this was such a big problem. This was a voluntary recall initiated by Nissan. The NHTSA was only notified after Nissan elected to initiate the recall.

It's a shame Nissan is not as accommodating with the driver seat issue.

-njjoe

#9 ·
A good start, but like many others I'd love to see Nissan get cracking on the seat issue. $1000 repairs every few years for something that should never break is absurd.

#11 ·
well well well

I remember I was poo-pooed when I said this was an issue on my 04.
I have seen at least 8 folks here who experianced this issue besides me. I ended up driving a short screw through the hose and the plastic to keep it from coming off. That was the only fix that worked. No amount of cleaning or re-tightening would fix it. Just cleaning and re-tightening would last 1 hour or several weeks. When it got to be from work till most of the way home, out came the screw -- never had another problem.

Symptoms:

At speed throttle sluggish.
Bucking from stop.
Engine dies at stop, I had to feather the throttle to keep it going till I got to a place to slide her back on again.

The bucking was positively violent from a stop.

#13 ·
I had this done at the dealer while having the oil changed a while back. When my wife left the dealer after the following oil change, the Murano did not want to go down the street at all. It was jerky, and didn't know what to do. So she went back, and it was the plenum following the air filter. the bracket was not properly clamped (I'm guessing it became seperated after they checked the air filter.) So if this happens to you, its probably the reason. The motor is sucking in air that the air intake sensor doesn't know about or something like that.

#15 ·
Mine just had this issue yesterday, on the freeway it stuttered from 3-5K RPM. Once stopped, car would only crawl when stepping on the gas. I turned off the car turned it back on and the car would rev normally but once put into drive it would go back to limp mode and start bucking violently. SES light came on and is now waiting to go to the dealership for the recall.

03 Murano SL
97,400 miles

#16 ·
I took the Murano in and got the recall work done but for them to check the SES light they "needed" to charge $140, they found a few codes. One being the crank sensor the other being the transmission.

They are now going to replace the transmission and the crank sensor (~$73). At least they got me a rental, an Altima Hybrid.

#17 ·
Just found recall...Nissan won't cover...what now?

Hi! I just found this recall yesterday and contacted Nissan. They said my car WAS covered but the work had already been completed!

We haven't had this service done and ARE having problems with it leaking air and the car stalling!!!

Anyone got any ideas?

We're the original owners. (Oh and the dealer is out of business!)
Thanks!

#18 ·
Hi! I just found this recall yesterday and contacted Nissan. They said my car WAS covered but the work had already been completed!

We haven't had this service done and ARE having problems with it leaking air and the car stalling!!!

Anyone got any ideas?
Try tightening all of the intake system clamps. That's what I did, but I did it before any of the intake system parts started to loosen up and/or come apart. I've never had a problem, and have just ignored this recall.

#20 ·
Owners who had repair work done prior to the recall will be reimbursed.

The recall is 09V169000.

-njjoe
I had this repair done prior to the recall by a local shop. How can I get reimbursed for this?

#21 ·
Contact Nissan Consumer Affairs @ 800-647-7261

-njjoe

#23 ·
this happen to me 2 days ago! and when i lifted the hood the intake was loose as hell. all i did was replaced BOTH of the clamps with some 99c. napa clamps. that did the job :)

#24 ·
You sure you just didn't need to tighten up the existing clamps? That's all I did a few years ago (on my 04 SE) when this problem surfaced, and I have never had a problem with any of the intake components coming loose. I had the other 3 recalls - alternator, rear seat belt sleeves, and fuel tank shield - done, but see absolutely no reason to get the intake `fixed' since tightening up the OEM clamps myself.

#27 ·
yea, this sucks. I have had this same off and on for a few years. The first time it happened I was stuck in one of the exit lanes from a mall... hella not cool. Anyways, as soon as the tow truck driver came I explained it and he said 'vacuum leak' - popped the hood, immediately identified it and bolted it on - no charge. I tipped him $20 though. This has popped off off and on many times since - enough to get fed up and ordered an aftermarket intake. The big fat 3" couplings are a heaven send. Although now it's time for a smogcheck and I loathe trying to put this all back on.

And yes, you guys are right... with the CVT it's kind of dumb - but the silicone couplings are awesome.

#28 · (Edited)
This is my answer:
> 1 Spectre 4" (I trimmed off 1")
> 1 Spectre 22° 6"
> 1 Spectre intake drill-bit kit
(Includes multiple bits, and grommet
sizes)
> 1 return line
> 1 3" rubber boot
> Reused the screw clamps
Total cost was right at $50.
Post-install reports ( is been about 2
months now)
-engine is more audible upon start-up &
acceleration.
- gas mileage is the same
- No error codes
- no concern of previous acceleration/ safety issues after a visit for an oil
change
- the proverbial "butt-dyno" says that there is improved throttle response, & maybe a couple ponies?
I think that having this installed really aid's the K&N air filter's ability to bring in more air. After this, I'm going to figure a way to promote more outside air into the stock air box for the K&N filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

#30 ·
Who changes the air filter at each oil change - even if you are stretching those to 7-8K miles with full synthetic? And, when you change the filter, wouldn't you notice if you are loosening the intake air ducting?

I'm sure most here (like me) with first gen Mos are regularly changing our air filters without having this problem. In the 10+ years I've owned my 04 SE, I've only had to tighten the intake duct clamps once. That obviated my having to bring the car in for the recall.

#34 ·
I find that when people lift and twist the airbox up to check the air filter, they sometimes disconnect the intake ducting on accident and don't even notice. It's happened at my shop by our lube techs. Mostly happens between the two plastic boxes. The boot itself becomes oily and slips off the plastic intake resonator box. Getting better clamps helps. Sometimes you need to clean the duct and reattach.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#37 ·
AH!! Snark apologized for.

When it comes to hood struts, i have two Ebay specimens on my workbench waiting to be installed!

#38 ·
My 2006 Murano has been having this issue and I bought a new clamp for it a couple weeks ago (temporary fix) until I did some research and saw that it had been recalled. Well I took my car in to the dealership and they looked up my VIN number and said that the recall only applied to a select few VIN numbers. Needless to say I left and have been doing research since and haven't seen a single thing saying that this is for only a select "few VIN's". I told the guy at the dealership that this applied to 2003-2007 Muranos...and mine falls within those perimeters and clearly has the issue, since the thing barely stays on. He didn't care and stated multiple times that there were zero "outstanding recalls" on my VIN. Anyone have any suggestions?

#39 ·
sounds like B.S. Are they the only Nissan dealership in town? Try another if not. Also print out a copy of the recall which is linked on page 1 of this thread and take it to them.

I am having this same problem with my airbox and it's been happening more frequently. I do the quick fix by tightening up the clamps, but they have not been staying tight. Looks like trip number 4 to the dealership is coming up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.