OEM Navigation Added to 2004 SL - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 03-02-2009, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Talking OEM Navigation Added to 2004 SL

Well...after threatening to do it, part gathering, and double checking...it's finally done! This last weekend I dove into the center console and installed OEM navigation into my 2004 Nissan Murano SL!!!

Tons of fun, very happy, and extremely satisified. I'll never look at my MO the same ever again. Big thanks to phoenix54 and 07murano!!! They answered my numerous questions.

So, to start my parts list was exactly the same as phoenix54's. The 2003-2004 MO's have the same parts. Parts will be different for the 2005-2007's I believe. Double check this if you're planning on doing this yourself.

Navigation Control Unit (NCU):
Part # -- 25915-CA103
Model # -- NCU-6110G(US)

Display Control Unit (DCU):
Part # -- 28330-CB600
Model # -- DCU-6104G(US)

LCD Display:
Part # -- 28090-CA100
Model # -- TR-LM7WB1N

GPS Antenna:
Part # -- 25975-CA100
Model # -- AGP-3090V

Audio/Video/AC Control Unit:
Forgot to write it down

Dash Wiring Harness With Navigation:
Just find one that matches your configuration. I asked if it came from a MO with NAV and BOSE. Worked fine.

I found all of the electronic hardware from Bessler Auto Parts for $750 and the harness for $200. Quite a deal if you ask me!

All parts came intact and ready to install. The only part issue I had was with the LCD screen. The individual that removed it from the wrecked MO scratched the hell out of the clear protector. I'll get into the details as to how I fixed this later.

The key to extracting the sub-harness from the main harness is quite simple. Here are the steps I took:

1) Remove all protective layering across the entire harness. This will take about 4 hours.
2) Find M62, M63, M42, M43, M38, M48, M44, M45, and M46 and label them.
3) Pull as much wire from each connector as possible and cut the lines that are not connected between the connectors in step 2. You'll have a couple dozen lines hanging when you're through.

Then it's just disassemble, mount the hardware, plug in the sub harness connectors, and then solder the extra lines to the correct points on the integrated screen harness.

So here's where we start...the lovely orange screen:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orange screen.jpg
Views:	3346
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	15099  

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-02-2009, 02:26 PM

Here's the LCD screen. Notice how the protector isn't scratched?!?!?

Well...I disassembeled the entire assembly and extracted the protector. Simply remove the 4 large screws on each side that hold down the brackets, remove the 4 medium screws on the top and bottom, and then remove the 4 tiny screws and you're done. The frame will come off of the display and the protector simply falls out.

I noticed that the screen protector was a plexi glass material with anti-reflective/anti-glare properties. I tried to call around Albuquerque and got no hits. I called back Bessler Auto Parts and told them of my situation. I agreed to send them back the original screen protector if they send me one from another identical unit. When I received the package, they didn't send me what I wanted...they sent me another orange display that had even more scratches on its protector! So after fussing a bit, they said I could keep the second orange monitor for free! An opportunity to fix this one too and sell it on eBay!

So after cursing for a bit and realizing that I was down the LCD screen protector I started to do some research. I eventually found a small company named Astra Products in Baldwin, NY that specifically deals with protectors for LCD monitors. They were kind enough to send me a sample of their material free of charge!

After I received the material I had a friend of mine at a machine shop cut it down to match the same shape of the orange screen protector. Yes...I typed in orange screen protector...simply because the exterior physical dimensions are the same as the LCD protector. They just have different properties. Unfortunately the new material was a bit thicker than the original, but no issue...I had them cut me a border that matches the small metal border that holds it down. Fit perfectly and looks beautiful when the LCD screen is on.

One thing to note that when the original protector is extracted it has a black border around it. There is no need to repaint a border on the new protector because all unsightly stuff is covered up when it's put back together.

Here's the display with the new protector:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lcd screen.jpg
Views:	2706
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	15100  

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#3 Old 03-02-2009, 02:33 PM

Nothing special about the Audio/Video/AC unit other than the 2 rows of buttons on the top are different. Did come with the old knobs which I'll swap out later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	acav assembly.jpg
Views:	3157
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	15101  

#4 Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM

Here are the switches you need to be able to use the navigation system:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	acav switch differences.jpg
Views:	3326
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	15102  

#5 Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM

Here's a picture of the Navigation Control Unit:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	navigation control unit.jpg
Views:	2784
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	15103  

#6 Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 PM

And a picture of the Display Control Unit:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	display control unit.jpg
Views:	2589
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	15104  

#7 Old 03-02-2009, 02:40 PM

So then I tore everything apart. What had to come out was:

1) Shifter finisher and knob
2) Center console pocket
3) The entire center console finisher
4) The rear cup holder and finisher assembly
5) Right and left center console lower carpeted finishers
6) The plastic moulding under the steering column
7) Non navigation AC/AV assembly
8) Finisher around the display
9) The plastic moulding just to the right of the steering column

It took a while to figre out how everything came apart. The Service Manual helped a ton with this. It shows where all of the clips are, how to remove everything, etc.

Here's a picture of everything torn apart:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	everything torn apart.jpg
Views:	3382
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	15105  

#8 Old 03-02-2009, 02:43 PM

Next came mounting the hardware. I mounted the DCU first and then went from there. The DCU is pretty much the hardest thing to mount because of the locations of the screws. I could get to the right one but the left one took some time. The left screw is the reason why you have to remove the plastic moulding below the steering wheel and the ignition moulding.

The DCU mounts directly behind the Audio/Video/AC assembly:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mounted dcu.jpg
Views:	2665
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	15106  

#9 Old 03-02-2009, 02:45 PM

The next item I mounted was the NCU. This one goes in the center console just under the shifter assembly. You must unbolt the shifter assembly in order to get this in. The Service Manual says you can put it in by twisting a bit but I could not figure this out. So, a few bolts later, it was in.

Here's the view from the passenger side:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mounted ncu.jpg
Views:	2823
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	15107  

#10 Old 03-02-2009, 02:49 PM

After all hardware is mounted, next it was time to connect the sub harness to the DCU, NCU, and LCD screen. Then it's a matter of soldering all of the lines together and insulating them. I highly suggest the use of shrink tubing versus a bit of electrical tape.

VERY IMPORTANT: Be sure to disconnect the battery during the rest of the setup. Cutting into live battery lines will more than likely blow fuses. Simply disconnect the positive battery terminal clamp, put a rag over the terminal itself, and then lay the clamp assembly on top of the rag. Quick and simple...

Here's a shot of the soldering work you get to do on and around the Integrated Display Connector:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	terminating & shrink wrap.jpg
Views:	2789
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	15108  

#11 Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM

And here's what you're up against in regards to wiring the NCU and the DCU. The shot below is the wires that need to be run and soldered from the NCU alone. You can make out some of the DCU lines as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lots of wires.jpg
Views:	2761
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	15109  

#12 Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM

So after all lines are soldered, wrapped, and double checked against the wire list, it was time to turn on the power. I was very happy when I saw the NISSAN logo on the LCD Display.

Here's the screen setting in light mode:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	light mode.jpg
Views:	3236
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	15110  

#13 Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 PM

And my personal favorite...dark mode:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dark mode.jpg
Views:	2987
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	15111  

#14 Old 03-02-2009, 02:55 PM

The version of software I have is 6.2. I understand that there is a newer version out so I'll have to get that later. I'll have to dive into the center console again to exchange out the disk, but that should be fun in it's own right as well!

So after everything was said and done, I investigated the right carpeted cover for the center console. I understand that the MO's that came from the factory with the navigation system had an access panel of some sort. I ordered the little cover but have yet to get brave enough to cut an opening for it.

Maybe I can cut something that will make the cover work. I did find this on the other side of the cover though:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	right center console panel.jpg
Views:	2779
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	15112  

#15 Old 03-02-2009, 02:58 PM

So that's all folks! This mod is not very hard to do but is VERY time consuming. I think that from tear down to clean up took me about 11 hours. I am very detail oriented and like to take my time to do things right. But overall I'm extremely pleased with the result.

I also spent a lot of time researching the new LCD screen protector. But in the end, having a scratchless display was worth it!

Now it's time to figure out all of the new options I have to play with. I really like the new MPG meter. I can reteach myself how to drive thanks to the instantenaneous MPG meter. Hopefully I'll save myself some $$$ in gas!

I'm also trying to figure out how to use the different navigation options. Too much fun!!!

On a funny note...one of my friends has gotten into the habit of naming his navigation systems. Considering that the voice is from a woman I decided to name her "DEAR". When she gives me instructions I can answer he like I used to answer my wife on vactations: "Yes Dear!!!"

One thing that bugs me a bit is that the newer lower profile chrome AC knobs won't come off. I don't have enough surface area to grab on to. So I'll live with the taller knobs for now and order them later.

Now it's time to sell the 2 orange screens and the original audio/video unit and get some of my money back. eBay here I come!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: