Cam position sensor has failed - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cam position sensor has failed

The "check engine" light came on today on my 03 Murano. It has 67K miles and has been remarkably trouble free. Anyway, performed a diagnostic check and got code "0340", cam position sensor failure. OK... sounds simple enough; however, there are two types of cam position sensors available; a "straight" type and an "angled" type. I can't figure out which I need and secondly, where it's located. Any help??? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
drasm22-

Welcome to the forum.

I have good news for you. The cam shaft sensor may be covered by a Nissan recall.

NTB03-124 was released on 12/19/03 and covers VIN's XX100007 thru XX100032, and XX200005 thru XX20072. It's only a handful of cars but it is worth a look.

I have attached the installation instructions from the recall. It lists the part numbers.

-njjoe

Page 1 0f 2:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cam_sensor1.jpg
Views:	6199
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	15239  

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 06-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

page 2 of 2:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cam_sensor2.jpg
Views:	4768
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	15240  

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#4 Old 06-21-2009, 09:47 PM

Talking

njjoe - Thanks for the reply. Looked up my VIN but unfortunately it's outside the ranges described.

Before ordering new sensors, I cleared the diagnostic error code to see if the same problem appears again. Those little electronic buggers cost $50-$80 each so I want to be sure of the problem before purchasing.

For others, the cam sensors are located on the driver side ends of each cylinder head. Remove the black plastic engine cover and you'll see them held in place with a single bolt each. They are fairly easy to access and shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to replace. They can be replaced separately, but I'm wary of not changing them as a pair; it's probably just me but I'll sleep better knowing they're both replaced.
#5 Old 06-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Wink

Based on njjoe's recommendation, I ordered both cam position sensors from Worldpartsexpress.com on a Monday, they arrived on Thursday. The hardest part of the changeout was disconnecting the electrical plug. Not much room to get both hands on the sensor and manipulate the plug at the same time. The new sensors installed without any problem and my Mo is back to normal. Thank you njjoe for your help!
#6 Old 06-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by drasm22
Thank you njjoe for your help!
You are very welcome.

I am glad it all worked out for you.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#7 Old 06-29-2009, 01:33 PM

i had my car quit on the freeway in hot weather and think its most likely the cam sensors. it restarted and drove home after sitting for an hour

thanks for the info!!!

update: the recall is for the circuit board, not the sensor. found another post where it was the connector

302 V8, 351 V8, Renesis
#8 Old 06-08-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasm22 View Post
Based on njjoe's recommendation, I ordered both cam position sensors from Worldpartsexpress.com on a Monday, they arrived on Thursday. The hardest part of the changeout was disconnecting the electrical plug. Not much room to get both hands on the sensor and manipulate the plug at the same time. The new sensors installed without any problem and my Mo is back to normal. Thank you njjoe for your help!
OK, I am working on this now. Can you tell me the trick to removing the wiring harness? I am afrai I am going to break it trying to get it off of the sensor.
#9 Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 PM

Sorry Shadow; it's been three years since I had this problem and can't remember exactly how the plug was attached. I THINK is was a typical electrical connector that requires you to press down on a tab to release a hook at the opposite end. I'd go look for you but my Murano has since found a new home.
#10 Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 PM

Wow you sold your Mo and still replied. Thanks. I did manage to get it off after I read your post. On the bottom there is a green piece inside another green piece that has to be pushed down (or toward the sensor). I removed the sensor to get at it easier. I was not able to push it with my hand so i used some needle nose pliers to push it down using the base of the plug for leverage. Once I pushed it down as far as it could go (flush with the other section) the sensor slipped out pretty easily.
#11 Old 12-05-2012, 09:33 PM

Smile Thank YOU!

I just wanted to say thank you! I was at a loss on figuring out what was wrong with my poor Louie, the Murano, this week and now I got the codes pulled and the CPS changed out! Yay!

One question, can Advance Auto clean out the SES light or will it go off on it's own? Thanks a ton!
#12 Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If you ask them, they might do it. Some places will and others won't. Had one guy tell me they're not allowed to do it by law because people like to clear the codes before selling their cars. Any engine light will degrade the value of the vehicle hence the reason.

Worth a shot. Otherwise get your own OBD-II scanner. A simple one is less than $100. Definitely worth it as Nissan charges over $80 to pull the codes. Use it twice and you're ahead!

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#13 Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 AM

Removing the connector

For removing the electrical connection, you have to break the little tabs inside and then press the green tab down. Follow Nijoe's information that was very helpful. Good luck.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: