Eneos cvt Trans Fluid - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-26-2009, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eneos cvt Trans Fluid

I have used the Eneos CVT fluid for about 2,000 miles without any problems. I know people have had debates about this fluid but it has been working fine. I did a complete flush. I have a 2003 with over 100,000 miles.

2003 Nissan Murano SE with over 100,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM

Any updates on this fluid? I have 126,000 on my 04 and am thinking about changing the cvt fluid. The eneos seems like an easy call since I can get it at napa.
#3 Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
In 2007 I sent an email to Nippon Oil asking about their Eneos CVT fluid. The response is posted in post#32 in the following thread: Japanese synthetic CVT fluid on Ebay

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#4 Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am sure that the Eneos CVT fluid is a good fluid, but not every CVT are built the same. Therefore, I would use the manufactor's CVT fluid only because Nissan's CVT fluid has the right amount of friction modifiers for this particular CVT. The aftermarket fluid may work, but may not have the right mixture for a long lasting CVT. I will switch to synthetic engine oil, but I would not switch to multi-make automatic transmission fluids. And especially not a multi-make CVT fluid. But who knows maybe the Eneos CVT fluid is better than Nissan's CVT fluid. I would not risk my CVT to find out.

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose"Wife's"
-But I do all the work on it
K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Power Iridium spark plugs IKH16 .4mm tip"Great MPG's and Power"
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
Front Air Intake Delete
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
2010 Volkswagen CC 3.6 VR6 "Mine"
#5 Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
The response cited above is:

1) ENEOS CVT Fluid is compatible with Xtronic CVT. (is NOT compatible with Xtroid CVT.)
2) ENEOS CVT Fluid is not approved by Nissan. However, this product has been tested by Nippon Oil, been marketed in Japan for more than 3 years and been sold to many Nissan cars there.

Bottom line: not approved, therefore you can safely assume it voids the transmission warranty.

Transmissions are expensive. I see no reason not to use the stuff Nissan approves.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#6 Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandz7 View Post
Any updates on this fluid? I have 126,000 on my 04 and am thinking about changing the cvt fluid. The eneos seems like an easy call since I can get it at napa.
I'm just curious - what is the CVT fluid deterioration date # that is causing you to contemplate a fluid change?
#7 Old 12-16-2012, 08:31 PM

Good question. I don't really understand how that works. Do I just take it to the dealership and ask them to check? How much does that cost to have them check it?
#8 Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandz7 View Post
Good question. I don't really understand how that works. Do I just take it to the dealership and ask them to check? How much does that cost to have them check it?
The CVT electronics contain an algorythm that calculates theoretical wear of the CVT fluid. The calculated wear figure can be read using the CONSULT-II diagnostic tool. The Service Manual states the following:

"CVTF DETERIORATION DATE"
More than 210000: It is necessary to change the CVT fluid.
Less than 210000: It is not necessary to change the CVT fluid.

The 210000 represents a "unit-less" value.

From earlier posts, no MO has yet to come even close to the 210000 figure. That can mean one of two things - the Nissan CVT fluid is superbly engineered for the task (which is entirely possible) or the 210000 figure is overly-optimistic. I am hoping for the former.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#9 Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Just for grins...

This is from a post that I submitted on 07/22/10:

Today I had my MO at the dealer for warranty work. While they were replacing the rear hub bearing I asked that they run a Consult-II diagnostic on the CVT to determine the CVTF Deterioration Date.

The mechanic claimed he had never heard of the CVTF Deterioration Date and usually tells customers to replace the fluid at 60,000 miles. When he brought the print-out to me in the customer waiting room he admitted he had no idea what it represented nor what it meant. It was amusing to hear how quiet the waiting room became as I proceeded to tell him what the number was and how it implied his 60,000 mile change interval was not accurate.

My MO is 4 years, 11 months old and has 46,699 miles on the odometer. The CVTF Deterioration Date is: 9255 , well short of the 210,000 that Nissan recommends as the change point.

Assuming a linear progression my CVT fluid should be good for another 1,012,921 miles and 111 years. I figure I'll split the difference and change it at 506K sometime in 2066. What do you think, Eric. L, is that achievable?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#10 Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
Just for grins...

This is from a post that I submitted on 07/22/10:

Today I had my MO at the dealer for warranty work. While they were replacing the rear hub bearing I asked that they run a Consult-II diagnostic on the CVT to determine the CVTF Deterioration Date.

The mechanic claimed he had never heard of the CVTF Deterioration Date and usually tells customers to replace the fluid at 60,000 miles. When he brought the print-out to me in the customer waiting room he admitted he had no idea what it represented nor what it meant. It was amusing to hear how quiet the waiting room became as I proceeded to tell him what the number was and how it implied his 60,000 mile change interval was not accurate.

My MO is 4 years, 11 months old and has 46,699 miles on the odometer. The CVTF Deterioration Date is: 9255 , well short of the 210,000 that Nissan recommends as the change point.

Assuming a linear progression my CVT fluid should be good for another 1,012,921 miles and 111 years. I figure I'll split the difference and change it at 506K sometime in 2066. What do you think, Eric. L, is that achievable?

-njjoe
Now that's funny!! I am amazed how we(the owners) know more about the cars that the people who are trained to service them. I had the same issue with the Murano seat frame. The service department did not know about a bracket that can be replaced in the seat. They wanted me to buy the whole seat frame until I got the part number off the internet and had the part guy look it up. I would just change the fluid every 100k miles like a normal automatic transmission after the CVT warranty has expired. I will not go by the deterioration rate bullsh-t, because after 120K the CVT bill is on the owner if it breaks.

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose"Wife's"
-But I do all the work on it
K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Power Iridium spark plugs IKH16 .4mm tip"Great MPG's and Power"
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
Front Air Intake Delete
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
2010 Volkswagen CC 3.6 VR6 "Mine"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread