Nissan Murano Forum

Nissan Murano Forum (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/)
-   1st Gen (2003-2007) (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/82-1st-gen-2003-2007/)
-   -   2006 Murano 2WD Power Steering leak - Hose (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/82-1st-gen-2003-2007/13913-2006-murano-2wd-power-steering-leak-hose.html)

NolaNissan 12-14-2009 01:23 PM

2006 Murano 2WD Power Steering leak - Hose

I've read several post that say it is possible to change the power steering hose yourself. Does anyone have any web sites and/or books that I can use to do this myself? I am mechanically inclined but I was not sure if it's as easy and changing the hose. The dealer wants $550 plus tax to do the job. Thanks

njjoe 12-14-2009 05:21 PM

Nola-

Welcome to the forum!

For $20 you can get a one-day subscription to Nissan's online library and download the entire service manual. It is the best $20 you will ever spend at Nissan. :4:

-njjoe

wa4qfy 12-15-2009 08:31 AM

Re: 2006 Murano 2WD Power Steering leak - Hose

Quote:

Originally posted by NolaNissan
I've read several post that say it is possible to change the power steering hose yourself. Does anyone have any web sites and/or books that I can use to do this myself? I am mechanically inclined but I was not sure if it's as easy and changing the hose. The dealer wants $550 plus tax to do the job. Thanks
Is this your High Pressure hose? I just had to have my high pressure hose replaced, and it was not cheap. I wonder if this is becoming a common issue...

newbski 01-04-2010 11:08 AM

Yeah I had the same issue. Mine is a 2004 SL FWD and the power steering was leaking for a while. It started at about 104,000 miles. When I was inclined or declined more fluid leaked then on a flat surface.

They didn't say if it was the high pressure hose or not but $550 for the labor and parts plus $125 for new fluid from my Nissan Dealer. Extended warranty does not cover hoses or belts, figures.

I went to an old friend and he did it for me and said there were 3 pin sized holes in the hose and it is basically a big U shape and really strong hose.

Oh yeah it is a big pain to repair this hose hence the high price from the dealer. Very hard to reach and hard spot to reach.

Now my power steering kind of makes a weird noise and we can't seem to figure it out except maybe thinking there is air in the line. So far I am living with it but have no loss in feel IMO.

Eric L. 01-04-2010 05:34 PM

Seems like a common problem with the Murano. My high pressure hose leaked too, and it cost a pretty penny to replace.

baseball4life 01-16-2010 11:01 AM

2006 Murano AWD

Power steering fluid began leaking a week ago. Although it's a 2006, it only has 31,000. Took it to Nissan dealership and they want $650 to replace hose & for labor.
Spoke with service manager @ Nissan dealership and he told me that he has personally had 9 to 10 Murano's come in with the same issue. Nissan won't claim this as a recall, although there is a definite problem with this hose. He also told me that it is ONLY affecting the Murano.
I just bought this pre-owned Murano in August. I am hoping that this high pressured hose is not going to be a reoccuring issue. I also experienced the 'hose not covered' under extended warranty. So repairs are out-of-pocket which is painful because I just paid my $600 car note!

Eric L. 01-16-2010 11:44 AM

I had the high pressure replaced for ~$600 and there appears to be a leak again - over the past couple months I've had to slowly add PS fluid - quick inspection looks like the cooler line has sprung a leak. Sigh.

bjack69 07-20-2010 01:21 PM

My 03 MO just started to leak with 103k miles. I need to replace the high pressure line and the dealer wants $322 for parts and $400 labor... Talk about a shock! I found the parts online at nissanparts2u.com for 225.32 and the dealer said he'd cut me a break on the labor.

Nickvacc 12-16-2011 10:18 AM

I realize that this is an old thread, but I'd like to share my experience with those dealing with this aggravating problem.

3 months after buying my used 2006 Murano, with only 38,000 miles, it developed a leak in the power steering high pressure hose. My dealership wanted to charge over $500 for parts/labor.

Although I had bought a third-party warranty they declined to reimburse claiming it was a "maintenance item" despite the obvious fact that a line like this should not fail at such low mileage. I tried to get Nissan to make a goodwill repair, or at least split the bill with me, but to no avail.

My recommendation is to buy the part on eBay, or another ecommerce site, where you will pay only $80 - $100. Then shop around for a good, honest, independent mechanic who will not overcharge for the labor like Nissan dealers do. Mine did the job for well under $200 including fluids and tax.

I enjoy the car and gladly would have bought another, but the fact that Nissan doesn't stand behind their product has put me off. This component Gould not have failed so soon. I acknowledge that mistakes do happen, but given the volume of problems people have had this part, Nissan should at least split the repair cost with those out of warranty. I won't be buying another Nissan because of their response.

Black Mo 12-19-2011 09:21 AM

Just changed mine over the weekend. All I can say is BEWARE of the bolt on the top of the hose, the one directly under the cowl. It WILL kick your butt.

bradherbst1 01-13-2012 05:21 PM

Just had my high pressure power steering hose changed in my 2006 Murano. Was replaced under warranty. I have about 77,000 miles on it and have the Security Plus Pre-Owned Preferred Extended Warranty.

Parts used are as follows:
49720-CB60C - Hose and Tube Assembly (believe this is the redesign hose)
999MPM-AG000P - Power Steering Fluid
49345-6N200 - O Ring

Had oil change, tire rotation, and power steering high pressure hose replaced without it costing 1 cent.

nipsirc 01-14-2012 12:40 AM

For those who wants to do it yourself...
Here's how... http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/6...-line-fix.html
and another .... http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/8...-repair-2.html