Sun Visor Problems - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 04-09-2010, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sun Visor Problems

I know some of you have had problems with these defective sun visors failing and unexpectedly falling in front of your face. Of course, it's not covered under the extended warranty and mine failed at 40K. Now my wife is afraid to drive the car and worries about the visor coming down in front of her face. I've take steps to stop that. The biggest issue is that cheaply made part is about $400+ ??????? That itself is insane considering it's quality.

If you are having this problem DO file a complaint with the NHTSA at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov.

I've got a working case with Nissan and filed a complaint with the NHTSA. This warrants a recall since anyone over 5'8" has their vision almost completely blocked when the visor falls down. We live in the mountains and drive curvy, rough roads so this REALLY a hazard for us even though it has the potential to cause an accident for almost anyone. If you are over 6' tall your vision is virtually blocked when the thing drop.

Larry:eek:

Proud owner of a new 2004 Polished Pewter Murano SL AWD. Not with all the goodies but I still love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2010, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I don't understand why Nissan is not addressing this problem.

If Nissan was smart, it would avoid the cost of a potential recall or law suites by simply reducing the cost of the new sunvisor to something reasonable. How much money are they making on this anyways? People with bad sunvisors would just buy another and not think twice about it.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#3 Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And they blame Toyota for not handling their ''stuck pedeal accelerator''. Instead of bringing new cars (some questionable as the Juke) to an already overpopulated arena, why don't Nissan focuses on ''enhancing'' problems customers have with existing models. Like Zeb said, priced at a reasonable price, I think it would've been a lesser problem. But then again, ''reasonable'' depends on who's buying. What's ''reasonable'' for one might just be ''expensive'' for another.

SLVER
-----------------
2004 SL AWD
#4 Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I replaced my drivers side visor in Dec 09 and it cost $122.25 from the dealer. When I looked at doing it last year, it was over $300. When I asked when the price was dropped I was told that in Oct 09 the priced dropped and the only thing the parts dept was told that it was partly due to the risw in value of the CDN dollar vs. the USD and that the dealer wanted to be more competative.

2003 Silver murano
SL AWD
Sunroof
Sunroof deflector
Roof rack cross bars
Cloud rider lower grill
Bug deflector
2011 VW Jetta TDI
#5 Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
It makes no sense that Nissan hasn't address this, but - no offense to anyone, please - in terms of safety issues it seems to me like it would rate pretty low.

A sun visor would have to drop into my lap and jam the steering wheel for it to really be a serious safety problem - otherwise if it flopped down, you'd just have to move your head a bit and flip the visor over to the side. I can't imagine anyone being nervous about driving a car because the sun visor might flop down.

What am I missing? This doesn't seem like a critical 'safety" issue to me. Definite part failure, yes. Should be addressed, yes. Safety issue like faulty brakes or accelerator, not even close.

Maybe my view is slanted because of all the old cars (40's and 50's vintage) I drove in the 60's and 70's - most of them had tired sun visors that flopped down constantly unless you shoved them forward against the windshield so they were jammed in place.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#6 Old 04-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoker
I replaced my drivers side visor in Dec 09 and it cost $122.25 from the dealer. When I looked at doing it last year, it was over $300. When I asked when the price was dropped I was told that in Oct 09 the priced dropped and the only thing the parts dept was told that it was partly due to the risw in value of the CDN dollar vs. the USD and that the dealer wanted to be more competative.
Driver's side sunvisor Part #?
Thanks
#7 Old 04-13-2010, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrim
It makes no sense that Nissan hasn't address this, but - no offense to anyone, please - in terms of safety issues it seems to me like it would rate pretty low.

What am I missing? This doesn't seem like a critical 'safety" issue to me. Definite part failure, yes. Should be addressed, yes. Safety issue like faulty brakes or accelerator, not even close.
Also, besides not posing a real safety problem when it happens, the flopping visors appears to affect only a small handful of Mos on the road (though, let's face it, we certainly hear about them all here). Of course I'd be pissed if it happened to me. But, like most of the other well documented problems, the majority of Mo owners will just never see it.
#8 Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM

broken sunvisor

Hi
Anybody who have a broken sunvisor
(driver side preferable) , please feel free to PM me.

Thanks
#9 Old 05-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Shift_quality

Well, we've been struggling with this problem for about 6 months and I finally had enough. We're loyal Nissan owners and even loyal to our dealership. So, I decided to give it a shot and call them about getting ours fixed at no cost.

Well, after the service manager stopped laughing (He's a good guy whom I know pretty well) he said, "It's not covered under warranty so the I can do without getting Nissan N.A. involved, would be to have you just order a new one at our cost.

Of course that wasn't gonna fly with me as "their cost" is supposedly $325. Even the parts manager balked at that price...for a freakin sun visor.

So, he suggested I call Nissan N.A. and I did. They opened a case file and worked with the dealership to "investigate the issue".

After about 2 weeks, I got a voicemail from the dealer and they said our visor was being covered by Nissan and I just need to make an appointment to have it installed.

I called back looking for clarification on what "covered by Nissan" actually meant (i.e. good will program?). But, he hasn't called me back yet.

So, the bottom line is, they can fix it free of charge...you just have to make a claim and cross your fingers.

#10 Old 05-14-2010, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by Grim

So, the bottom line is, they can fix it free of charge...you just have to make a claim and cross your fingers.
That is great news. For the rest who may be doing what you did, it would help if you share the year and mileage of your MO as a point of reference.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#11 Old 05-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Shift_quality

Sure thing.. sorry about that.

I have a 2006 SL AWD with roughly 48k miles.

#12 Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM

Exclamation Murano Sun Visor Flop

I have a 2006 Murano with just over 34,000 miles on it. I bought it last month and the sun visor started flopping down a few weeks after I bought it. I will be contacting Nissan about this. I believe it is a huge safety issue and not just for 5'8" drivers. I'm 5'5" and it flops right in front of my line of vision. The problem is, when you aren't expecting it, it is quite disconcerting for the second or so that you can't see the road. I thought mine was an isolated case until I reviewed this site.
#13 Old 03-13-2011, 10:28 PM

My 2006 visor suddenly started getting loose/floopy now. Is there a way to tighten these things? Or do you have to replace the entire thing?

I've been reading it's like $300 for the part - I think I might have to go to the junkyard and look around for wrecked MO's rather than pay that.

This particular thread hasn't been updated in awhile - is there any new news about this issue?

For me personally it's not a safety issue, just that it's either all the way up, or all the way down, and no in between, and when it's all the way down, I have to 'low ride' in order to see out my window. I drive straight into the sun on the way to work, so I would prefer to use the visor.

thanks!!

Brian Wood
"Woody123"
2006 Murano SL AWD
72k miles
#14 Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 AM

120.00 from my local dealer installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page