A/C not blowing cold.... - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
A/C not blowing cold....

So its a hot and humid weekend here in Chicago and I finally turned the A/C on. I noticed that it is not blowing as cold as it should/did before. Would a simple recharge from one of yhose Autozone bottles work, or should I look into anyhing else? Im just looking for a simple solution and not a whole new project...if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
The fast solution I'd pursue is having an AC outfit re-charge it. (Whether they'd check the system over for you is up to you.)

You can also watch YouTube, buy the refrigerant and an install kit, then charge it up yourself.

Personally, when it comes to an expensive system like AC, I prefer to do it right. If the system isn't cooling, you have a leak somewhere - I personally would want to find and fix the leak before I get into multiple AC re-charges.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Just my two cents:

Buy the recharge kit that comes with the dye and hose with pressure gauge from autozone or advanced auto. Check their website for thir weekly flyer. Now with the hot weather amongst us, they usually always have a good deal on it.

With the dye you would be able to see if there is a leak somewhere within the AC system.

Also, Can you hear the AC compressor kicking in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005_Murano_S View Post
Just my two cents:

Also, Can you hear the AC compressor kicking in?
That's a very wise question. First thing to do when evaluating a problem is figure out the simplest thing that can cause it, and look there first.

If the compressor doesn't come on, no AC.

I assumed it was working because the OP indicated that it wasn't cooling "as well as it did before". That may not be a valid assumption.

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #5 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

That is something I havent been paying attention to but I believe it does... just noticing something as simple as my MPG's drop after trying to run the A/C today (I figured the compressor was running because of the drop/change in mpg's).
post #6 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Easiest thing to do is get a recharge kit and refill it yourself. If there is a leak then you will have to recharge it again shortly after the first time. At that point you might need to take it in to find out where the leak is if you cant find it yourself. If it keep blowing cold air then it was just low on freon and no need to take it to the shop.

On some cars the compressor will not engage if the freon is to low.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I actually like that idea and that is what I might actually do..cheapest route for now. But from what I know, if the AC is low it usually means that there is a leak somewhere, otherwise it always stays charged.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Old ac system seals eventually shrink or harden and leaks out very small amount over time. I did this freon recharge last summer and it seems to be holding up still this year. I got the HF AC high and low line gauge so I know where my system stand before, during and after recharge. I also bought the R 134 can smallest one without the dye or oil only the freon- cheap about 5 - 6 bucks. You wanna go small quantities when adding refrigerant because over charging will make it even worse. Stick a meat thermometer on the center dash vent and observe before and after charging temp. Should go down to the 40s-50s degs. Good luck.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-28-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Well I just went out and bought one of those r-134a bottles from Autozone with the hose/guage. I refilled the system according to the instructions (never did a recharge myself before). I believe I did everything correctly but I just wanted to confirm it with you guys.

Only thing that confuses me is whether I do the final reading of the charge with the A/C on or off? I used the Sub-Zero can with the car on and A/C blasted to full, like instructed. My reading on the guage is obviously different with the A/C on then when I turn it off. Its in the green zone with it on but climbs into the red once I turn the A/C off and wait a minute or so with the car running. Any help will be appreciated in case I need to bleed some of it out.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a similar problem... right after I got my alternator replaced I noticed the AC stopped working. When I turn it on, I don't feel the idle change

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: