Nissan Murano Forum banner

Where is the heater blower relay?

44K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  RonaldLCraft 
#1 ·
Hi

I have 07 murano. And having a/c delay problem like other members.

I'm trying to change the relay to try out.

Do you know the location of the relay?

Thx
Peter

#2 ·
Either the 2007 is configured differently from the 2005 or I am misreading the schematics because I do not see a relay in the blower circuit.

-njjoe

#4 ·
well.....there IS a blower relay...the 2006 has a blower relay located in the fuse box. I would bet the 07 is the same.

Attached is pages from the 2006 service manual that shows the schematic of the blower relay and the location in the fuse box.

Now. FYI. located UNDER the stereo and attached to the stereo frame is the A/C amp. this module is what controls all the functions and motors for the HVAC system. these modules are known to go out. so the blower relay may not be your issue.

There is a procedure in the service manual about how to do a self test of this module. may help diagnose the issue. search the forum here for the link to download it.

Zc

Attachments

#5 ·
Blower works intermittently

Cold weather is here and I notice that my Muran '07 AWD blower for the heat only works sometimes. It is usually after it has been on for more than 30 minutes does the fan kick on even though the fan has been turned on high in both manual and auto mode.

Any ideas?

#7 ·
On the 2003 there is a temperature sensor on the dirver's side, bottom of the molding, close towards the center console. I was changing out the 2003 style gauges with 2006 style gauges and forgot to hook it back up. My fan wouldn't work unless I turned the AC all the way down (this was during the summer). Once I hooked it back up, everything worked fine.

Looking at the 2007 manual, it's in the same position and Nissan calls it the "in-vehicle sensor". You might want to check to see if the connection is loose.

#8 ·
Just wanted to say thanks to the forums and members for this thread. Like others, I had an issue where the heater/ac blower on my 2006 Murano either started immediately then quit after about 5 seconds, or took 5 to 10 minutes to start blowing.

After the local Billings, MT dealership replaced the entire blower motor ($220+labor) with no results, I found this thread. The dealership said the next step on their "troubleshooting tree" was to replace an $800 electrical assembly. Hah hah hah. They also tried to claim the motor wasn't covered under my extended Comprehensive Warranty despite being listed along with the relay, but luckily the Nissan National office was able to get me a refund.

I had some trouble finding an online shop which could order the relay for the blower motor, but my local AutoZone got one in 3 days for $37.
It took me about 10 minutes to replace, mostly just to unhook the clips on the fuse panel and work it around to where I could reach the relay. There's a philips head screw which secures part of the dashboard panel which I removed to give me a little extra "wiggle room".

After replacing, it worked like a charm, no problems with the blower which is great news since winter is here.

For those having trouble locating it, find the lever to open your hood. When sitting in the driver's seat it's by your left knee and there's a plastic cover which just pops off. The fuse panel is white, you'll need a small flathead screwdriver to help get it free of the clips and I recommend a flashlight to help see. Once you get the fuse panel free of the clips, work it around so you can see the back and the relay is a small blue cube. There are two, the one on the "top" is for the blower motor. It just pulls right out, and the replacement pushes in, make sure it's snug, then replace the panel in the holding clips and put the screw back in and snap the plastic cover back on.

If that doesn't work then it might be one of the other issues people have mentioned, but for less than $40 and a few minutes work this is a good thing to try before spending a load of cash on something else.

And with all due respect, zebelkhan, you are not correct in saying that relays "either work or they don't".

#9 ·
TO ERICINMT.....I'm having problem with my heater blower it only starts working 15 - 20 after turning it on at 10 deg. f. How hard to free the fuse panel just by unhooking the clips ? How many clips and their location. I'm from New England, its really hard "frozen " inside your car in the morning to work. Thanks... histo

#10 ·
Hi all - I had the same issue with my blower motor a few winters ago on a '07 MO. I think the blower is supposed to come on after 90 seconds even in cold weather. If it takes excessively longer to come on, most likely it could be the blower motor relay. That was my issue. It would not come on for a good 5-10 mins.

The one way to tell if it is the relay is to switch up the two blue relays behind the fuse block. One relay is for the blower motor, the other is for the accessories (display screen, radio screen etc). Assuming the display screen works, if you switch up the blower motor and display screen (accessory) relays and the display screen goes blank immediately when you start the car, then you know the blower motor relay is bad and you should replace it. After a while, the display screen will come on when the bad relay kicks in. The relay is not too expensive at the dealer ($20-$25) in fact it is cheaper at the dealer than NAPA. The dealer also had a cheaper alternative ($3) and I bought 2 of these as a back up.

It's pretty straight forward. 15 minute job as was mentioned above.

1) Remove the 4 screws holding the plastic kick panel under the steering column.
2) Remove the 2 engine latch release bolts (10mm)
3) Remove the 2 fuse panel bolts (10mm)
4) Carefully remove the trim panel
5) Carefully pull out the fuse panel.

At the back of the fuse panel you'll see 2 blue relays: for a '07 MO the top one is for the blower motor the bottom one is for the accessories (display screen). Look at the PDF files in the thread above from Zero Cool.

If this does not work, then maybe it's something other than the relays. :(

Good luck.

#12 ·
It feels like summer in Rhode Island, 28 deg. lol. Well I did it for 30 min. I found lil bit difficult taking the dash out .. guess lil bit overcautious not break it and turning the fuse panel sidewise .. again overcautious not to break or dislodge any wire behind the fuse panel.After installing the new blower relay and attaching the fuse panel with the two bolts , I started the car and turn the heater on and after few seconds its a MIRACLE , the heater started blowing hot air.... THANKS GUYS

#11 ·
In my 07, the only time the blower comes on immediately at cold temps is when I engage the defrost mode. Otherwise the blower waits until the vehicle coolant has warmed up enough to convey some warmth to the interior.

If the blower isn't coming on immediately when defrost/windshield mode is engaged, then there is a problem. But in any other mode I expect it to wait for the coolant to warm up a little.

#13 · (Edited)
Problem started out as Blower motor would not run.

Swapped both relays
Then Blower Motor would work but assy's were odd. so I replaced both relays with a RY640 ($34) from Auto Store, and an AR6145 ($35) from Napa which are both supposedly the cross referenced relay from the Nissan 25230-79942 ($46) relay.

This may have been a bad idea:
But to replace the relays I unbolted the top and bottom fuse block retainers and turned the fuse panel on its side and pulled it a little forward to access the rear of the fuse panel.
I also disconnected the single Pin Black connector just to the left of the Blower Relay as shown in the Blower 2 PDF file above to allow my fingers to grasp the relays and pull them out.

Now, Screen comes on right away, radio works as it should.
But the HVAC Auto nor any other buttons will light and blower will not run, and also new problems
Car will not come out of Park without using the Gear Shift over-ride button.
Gauges all read zero and will not move RPM, Speed, Gas, Temp, Oil etc.
It will drive though and get down the road as long as the little screwdriver is nearby to take it out of Park and then to get it past Neutral to put it back in Park.

Dealer is saying that the Unified Display needs to be replaced.

My first experience with this shifter over-ride, interesting concept

Thank you for any help or suggestions
Mike

#14 ·
Thanks to all for the help here!

I was on a trip to Canada this week and the weather suddenly turned cold. Being from Florida, about all I ever used was the AC and that had seemed to be working to this point... but there was suddenly a cold morning and I needed the front defroster. Pushed the button for front defrost... nothing, nada, zip. After some pretty random button pushing and the passage of maybe 15 minutes, the fan began to run in the defrost mode. Same thing the next day.

I read the posts here and figured it must be the relay. Being out on a road trip, I decided to take the lazy route and have the local Canadian Nissan dealer change the relay for me. So I went there, explained the problem, and told them that the consensus of Murano owners here was that I had a bad relay. I was informed that there would be a diagnostic fee, etc, etc. Yeah, whatever, go ahead and fix it, eh? I wait, an hour passes, and then the tech pops out to tell me "no trouble found". I told him that hey, I'm here, I invested in the "diagnostic fee", and that I'm just about positive it's a bad relay... just change the %@&*!@ relay and I'll accept the results. They agreed, and after another hour or so they had the car ready. I ended up paying them about 250 Loonies (maybe $185 US) for the adventure... but the defrost and the remainder of the system has worked perfectly ever since.

Sigh...

Dan

#15 ·
Same issue here. Swapped the blue relays as others have mentioned and PRESTO! Blower works again. I'll be ordering replacements tomorrow. I love this forum rather than paying a mechanic a couple hours of diagnostic time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.