Driver side tail light issues... - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Driver side tail light issues...

I just want to say hello to the Forum Family here... I love these types of forums!!!

To start off I have an '07 Murano with the LED tails. I have an odd issue. The driver side tail light will not flash the blinker or operate stop light when the headlamps/parking lights are on. If I shut off the headlights/parking lights the turn signal and brake light function properly. The light will flash without fail when I lock the Murano as well. This is not an issue on the passenger side as it functions properly.

I have reset the PCM by leaving the neg unhooked for about an hour and a half and it still has the same symptoms. Checked the relay for the turn signals as well as all the fuses related to parking/headlight/stop/turn lights etc.

I suspect the parking/running lights on the tail light assembly is shorting out but I can see spending $200. on a new light assembly just yet.

Any ideas???? Thanks.

'07 Murano. Glacier Pearl. 2WD. SL. Bose/Nav. Loaded. Tinted all the way around. Debagged. Billet grill. Removed wind screens and roof rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.

Looking at your signature it is obvious you are not afraid to get your hands dirty.

I suggest swapping the tail light assemblies. Yeah, yeah, I know they are not interchangeable on the body but if the electrical connections are identical you can swap them electrically and see if the problem remains on the driver's-side or moves with the tail assembly. If it is the former them it looks like the BCM or wiring harness has an issue, however if it is the latter then the problem is with the tail light assembly and is easily corrected with a new tail light assembly.

Let us know what you find.

By the way, your signature mentions you removed the wind screens. What are the wind screens you are referring to?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM

NJJOE thanks for the input I am going to try that out this weekend. As for the wind screens, mine came with the hood deflector and the sunroof deflector off as they were ugly. I'll post up a pic here as soon as possible. Thanks again.

'07 Murano. Glacier Pearl. 2WD. SL. Bose/Nav. Loaded. Tinted all the way around. Debagged. Billet grill. Removed wind screens and roof rack.
#4 Old 01-29-2011, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
A bad ground at the taillight can also cause similar issues. Follow the wire harness that feeds the taillight to see if you can spot a loose or corroded connection.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#5 Old 01-30-2011, 12:09 PM

zebelkhan... Thanks for the input as well. That is what I am thinking the issue is because I took a round trip of 350 miles on Thursday evening and the tail lamp did not work at all. Then last night on my way around town the lamp, brake, and flasher operated fine all evening long. I've shut the back hatch more then likely 25 times in between that time so I'm guessing it is a wiring issue out back. Time to tear into it this weekend.

#6 Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the same issue I have the factory trailer package and the plug is corroded so I pulled the tail light out and a plug in the tail light is the same way. I don't know where to go from here my MO has 116k miles and is well out of warranty. So I guess ill not have a tail light at night.
#7 Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
You can buy plugs and re-wire them....or if you can find one in a wrecking yard, cut off the plug with 6" of wire and just cut off the old one and replace it with the wrecking yard one using butt splices.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#8 Old 02-15-2013, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Big fan of the junk yard pull and wire splice... you could use crimp on connections if you don't have a solder gun.

But you could also try spraying down the connector with some contact cleaner; I don't see how after only 5-6 years it could be beyond repair. The light circuits on my '84 VW are still original and work fine... they look like they might fall to dust if I look at them wrong, but at least they still work.

my pride and joy... and sometimes hate:
'84 VW GTI with 1.8t from '01 audi TT - full drivetrain swap
alive and well:
'07 Murano, '08 Versa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: