Nissan Murano Forum banner

DIY: Power Steering High Pressure line repair

158K views 127 replies 81 participants last post by  nissrano07 
#1 ·
Due to the frequent failure of this power steering line I thought I would take some pictures as I replaced mine today. This was my first time doing this job on the Murano so bare with me..

Vehicle: 2007 Nissan Murano AWD S

Tools Needed:
Floor Jack
Jack Stands
#10 wrench
#14 wrench
flat head screw driver
adjustable wrench
Pliers
#14 socket
#10 socket
Ratchet
bucket

Parts needed:
High Pressure line from Nissan Dealership $282
2 quarts of Nissan Power Steering Fluid $5 each
2 crush washers $2 each

Part #s
PS high pressure Hose & Tube Assembly part # 49720-CC10A 282.28

Power Steering fluid part # 999MP-AG00P 5.20

Gasket connector / crush washer part # 49726-Y0100 9.30

( I could have got the crush washers and ps fluid cheaper elsewhere but I wanted to make sure nothing went wrong )

Fist thing you need to do is remove passenger side tire. Then you need to remove the splash guard from behind tire. U will see the oil filter and power steering pump pulley.

Next thing you need to do is loosen the big banjo bolt from the pump. I didnt have a socket big enough so I used a big adjustable wrench. Once that is loose let the fluid drip into a bucket , pan of your choice.

Once that is done dripping I recommend putting a sandwhich bag on it so it doesnt continue to drip while you are removing it getting ps fluid everywhere.

Next you need to loosen two small 10mm screws that hold this bracket down and then loosen the hardline from the steering rack. Once the bracket is loose and hardline is disconnected you need to undo the plastic bracket holding down the rubber hose by unclipping the top and it opens up like a book.

Now to get the last screw out and to remove the power steering line you need to take the cowel off to make room. To do this you need to remove the two caps from the top of the windsheild wipers and then loosen the two nuts. Once from each wiper , they are 14mm bolts and once they are loose you need to really wiggle the wipers to get them off. Then you simply use the pliers to unclip the clips from the bottom of the cowel and remove. Then you need to unscrew all the little 10mm screws around the hard metal part of the cowel. Once that is all off it will look like this.

Then you will have access to the last screw here , loosen it and remove and the line is now free. Remove line and install new line in reverse order using two new crush washers. Make sure everything is tight and then fill reservoir with fluid and start car. Once engine is running the ps pump will suck the fluid out of resevoir into the lines and you will need to add to full line. At this point I got in car and turn wheel all the way left and all the way right with reservoir cover off to let the fluid work into the system and let any air pockets out of the system.. Total cost was $320 for all the parts and about 3 hours of my time , could have been faster but the last banjo bolt gave me a hard time.

Last bolt is behind the Intake manifold , you will see the shiny heat tape wrapped around the line and then you will see the bracket .

Finished with new part installed.

Old line for reference.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice job on the "How To"! The pictures are very helpful. :29:

-njjoe

#12 ·
OEM HP hose revised, and now at a lower cost??

I was thrilled to find this pictorial posting. My 2006 AWD Murano is a rolling cliche of common issues. At 94K miles, I just replaced my front struts, I have the broken drivers seat bracket, the engine loves to drink motor oil (even though I've seen some say 1+ qt per 3000 mi could be normal), and now the high pressure PS line is leaking. I am going to tackle the hose replacement this weekend.

I just picked up a new OEM hose from the Nissan dealer yesterday, and the parts guy was surprised at the price that popped up on his computer.

Apparently a new hose has just been released. Part # 49720-CC10C is the new revision, and it is much cheaper. The list price was about $140. (I don't have the receipt with me as I write this). He double checked the price as I stood there since the new cost is about half what it used to be. Anyway, you may want to check around if you are looking for this hose. Could be a fluke, could be that Nissan has lowered the cost, could be he sold me the wrong hose, although he promised me it was correct. Good luck.

#9 ·
This is a fire hazard. A Factory Recall should be issued for the High Side Power Steering Fluid Line on the Nissan Murano. This is a common issue with the Nissan Murano from my research on the internet. The Dextron Fluid is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE! I have a two year old child and Nissans concern should be about peoples safety and not Money! I was also informed from a few Nissan dealers this is an issue with Muranos. I was also informed from a few local Nissan dealers this is a common problem with the Murano! Anyway thanks for the Photos! GOOD WORK:29:!!

#10 ·
Type of fluid

I have a 2006 Nissan Murano SL. The manual says to use dexron type atf in the power steering instead of actual power steering fluid. Does anyone know why this is? Also, what happens if you use power steering fluid instead?

The reason I ask is because Merchant's Tire place put power steering fluid instead of the dexron which was sitting in my front seat for them to use. They did this when they replaced the high pressure line. I asked them why they didn't use what the manual said especially when I bought it for that purpose and left it on the seat and they said because they used better power steering fluid which is better than the dexron stuff.

#11 ·
Either one should work if you are replacing the entire system. I am partial to using the power steering fluid though. Is it red in color? I have seen from a dealer parts dept. a 2 part jug their service dept use to flush the power steering fluid and its clear/yellowish color. And its not the nissan psf either. It was labeled for american and import cars.

#15 ·
OK, Done! Took me about 4.5 hours. While I was in there I found that the driver's side CV joint boot had slipped off and grease spattered all over the wheel well area. I had to clean, repack, and zip tie it back in place. Also, with the splash guard off, I saw that my belts need changing soon and probably should have been done during some skipped PM service.

The PS hose was leaking somewhere at the top/center mount with oil dripping off both ends of the hose. As DJFRDJR said, the new hose did not include the sensor (I didn't know the old hose included it), so I had to swap that part back into the replacement hose. List price on the hose was $140, the dealer charged me $118. Not an easy job, but not impossible for a DIY'r with the right tools.

#16 ·
Add me to the list. I just saw several drips of red fluid on my garage floor. Sucks man. :28: Anyways, I tracked down the source of the leak and its the pressure line of the power steering of course. Its actually leaking only from the end of the fat hose---one with the zip tie at the end---where the hard tubing starts--going to the rack. PS Reservoir is low all of a sudden after 7 years/80K. It sucks that you cannot just replace that part of the hose. I might open the old one up and see whats the deal. Ebay sells it for 103.24 shipped. I'll see dealers price come Monday.

Atleast, nissan removed the sensor in the assembly recently. Thus reducing the cost for replacement. They probably figured out that it rarely fails and its just a waste to toss it. Nah! Its probably the people complaining of the high cost of repair.

#17 ·
Decided to remove the old leaky hose. Its actually fairly easy but messy due to the oil that had sprayed all over. So I just let the oil drip to the pan below as I drain it since I plan to wipe off the entire area afterwards.

There are only 4 points you have to unfastened. The one thing that took the longest time to remove is the one 12 mm bolt holding the hose bracket on top. Yup! The COWL with all its jazz.

I use the following:

14mm combination wrench for the PS rack hard tubing connection.
10mm socket for the lower bracket--2 bolts.
12mm box wrench for the top bracket--1 bolt. Cowl area.
24mm socket for the eyelet connection to the PS pump.
2 adjustable wrench/pipe wrench to remove sensor from the hose/pipe assembly.

My leak seems to be coming from either the bottom or top part of the fat hose--PS rack side--the longer one. The hose is crimped in, so to try to repair it would be difficult if not impossible. Pics to follow.

Attachments

#18 ·
Guys! This place is Great! partsfornissans.com. I ordered the parts Tuesday morning, confirming they have everything in stock, and it arrived Wednesday afternoon for a fixed shipping rate of $8.95 ground. What a deal!. :29: They are located in Phoenix AZ and I'm in Vegas so thats Very Close and Very FAST! Better than overnight shipping. I will be using them again for sure. Price is right if you add the SH of other website. Speed of delivery varies on your location.

Installed everything same afternoon. Replaced the 2 copper washers for the eyelet and the O ring for the old pressure sensor. Could have reused both but just wanna do it right. Added about 1 1/2 bottle of nissan power steering fluid 12oz. to fill it to the cold max line. Test drove. Recheck for leaks and all is good. And it only cost me $92.78 for assembly/O ring/2 washers + $7.48 for 2 PS fluid + $8.95 SH = $109.21 for a newly installed power steering pressure line. NOT BAD AT ALL!:29: Experience doing it = Priceless! :D

Pics of the new assembly installed. Thanks again to Mello. Made everything easy.

Attachments

#20 ·
whats the power steering fluid capacity,
I went to nissan to order the PS hose
and also bought the fluid, but I clearly asked
for 2 quarts and paid for them but on my way home
I noticed they had giving me 2 12oz bottles of the PS fluid
now if takes 2 quarts to fill it up, I will be needing at least 6 12oz
bottles right?

thanks.

#23 ·
Same problems here too..

I have a 2006 Murano and i am surprised to read how common these problems with the power steering equipment really is. Why isnt Nissan looking into some kind of recal since its not covered under the warranty or even by the extended warranty. I also have the broken driver seat bracket problem too which is not covered either. However i was lucky when my driver side door handle broke and my extended warranty covered it because if not i most likely would still be driving around without it to this day. I couldnt beleive my ears when they told me it would of cost $180 for the part plus labor, that much just for a peice of cheap plastic that looks like it is, priced like it was, but only wishes it actually was, really made out of chrome. What a joke...

#24 ·
2005 PS HP Hose Leak

My wife's car has this problem.
It's an 05 SL 2WD MO with 120K, nothing has ever been an issue except front tires.
Last payment made this past summer and wow....
1. Last oil change the guy tore open the passenger side CV boot with the filter wrench, and that caused all the grease to go bye bye. Found rebuild kits but that' too hard of a job to rebuild both sides. So I found two NEW drive shafts for $95 each replaced them myself.
2. That's when I found the bad PS leak.
3. Both front rotors warped beyond repair, installed new rotors all four wheels and pads all the way around.
This car has been a really good car just a lot went wrong all at once, but I am not complaining, not with the miles on her.
Came here and found the answer to the problem thanks for the great wright up.

#26 ·
I know this posting is late, but I agree with Nissan doing a re-call to improve this hose. You can see that a bracket or hose re-routed would be appropriate. The leak my wife experienced on her Murano after only 45 thousand miles is ridiculous. I know things wear down, but really, this was a winner for Nissan to do these hoses right where they did it. Nice and easy to charge folks as much labor as they do. Great post on the how to. I downloaded the service manual, but wow, I wish I would have read on here first. Thanks for posting it.

D

#28 ·
I just replaced my leaky ps fluid hose on my 03
murano, kind of a messy project but I am happy
with the results.
saved myself about 800 bucks by replacing the
lower control arms as well, both bushings were cracked
and one of the ball joints was bad, my mo was making
an awful clunking noise due to bad lower control arms.
Thanks Mello your write up, it helped me alot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.