DIY: Power Steering High Pressure line repair - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DIY: Power Steering High Pressure line repair

Due to the frequent failure of this power steering line I thought I would take some pictures as I replaced mine today. This was my first time doing this job on the Murano so bare with me..

Vehicle: 2007 Nissan Murano AWD S

Tools Needed:
Floor Jack
Jack Stands
#10 wrench
#14 wrench
flat head screw driver
adjustable wrench
Pliers
#14 socket
#10 socket
Ratchet
bucket

Parts needed:
High Pressure line from Nissan Dealership $282
2 quarts of Nissan Power Steering Fluid $5 each
2 crush washers $2 each

Part #s
PS high pressure Hose & Tube Assembly part # 49720-CC10A 282.28

Power Steering fluid part # 999MP-AG00P 5.20

Gasket connector / crush washer part # 49726-Y0100 9.30

( I could have got the crush washers and ps fluid cheaper elsewhere but I wanted to make sure nothing went wrong )

Fist thing you need to do is remove passenger side tire. Then you need to remove the splash guard from behind tire. U will see the oil filter and power steering pump pulley.

Next thing you need to do is loosen the big banjo bolt from the pump. I didnt have a socket big enough so I used a big adjustable wrench. Once that is loose let the fluid drip into a bucket , pan of your choice.

Once that is done dripping I recommend putting a sandwhich bag on it so it doesnt continue to drip while you are removing it getting ps fluid everywhere.

Next you need to loosen two small 10mm screws that hold this bracket down and then loosen the hardline from the steering rack. Once the bracket is loose and hardline is disconnected you need to undo the plastic bracket holding down the rubber hose by unclipping the top and it opens up like a book.

Now to get the last screw out and to remove the power steering line you need to take the cowel off to make room. To do this you need to remove the two caps from the top of the windsheild wipers and then loosen the two nuts. Once from each wiper , they are 14mm bolts and once they are loose you need to really wiggle the wipers to get them off. Then you simply use the pliers to unclip the clips from the bottom of the cowel and remove. Then you need to unscrew all the little 10mm screws around the hard metal part of the cowel. Once that is all off it will look like this.

Then you will have access to the last screw here , loosen it and remove and the line is now free. Remove line and install new line in reverse order using two new crush washers. Make sure everything is tight and then fill reservoir with fluid and start car. Once engine is running the ps pump will suck the fluid out of resevoir into the lines and you will need to add to full line. At this point I got in car and turn wheel all the way left and all the way right with reservoir cover off to let the fluid work into the system and let any air pockets out of the system.. Total cost was $320 for all the parts and about 3 hours of my time , could have been faster but the last banjo bolt gave me a hard time.

Last bolt is behind the Intake manifold , you will see the shiny heat tape wrapped around the line and then you will see the bracket .

Finished with new part installed.

Old line for reference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Nice job on the "How To"! The pictures are very helpful.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #3 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
Nice job on the "How To"! The pictures are very helpful.

However, asking for donations is a departure from the altruistic theme of this forum.

-njjoe
post #4 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Very good writeup! I suggest making this one a sticky!

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
post #5 of 110 Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Very good writeup! I suggest making this one a sticky!
Done!

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
post #6 of 110 Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Sweet , first thread and its a sticky
post #7 of 110 Old 04-21-2011, 12:59 AM

good job

This is very helpful i have been trying to find this leak for awhile. This is it for sure and you explained this like a pro i am going to try this friday on my wifes murano. thank you for this post.

Sincerely, Tim
post #8 of 110 Old 04-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Super Senior Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Nice write up.

Keep in mind that the part number listed in this thread:

Part #s PS high pressure Hose & Tube Assembly part # 49720-CC10A 282.28

Is for the AWD Muranos.

The 2 wheel drive units have a different hose.

Former owner of ~~~~> Black O3 SE AWD

post #9 of 110 Old 06-16-2011, 01:29 PM

This is a fire hazard. A Factory Recall should be issued for the High Side Power Steering Fluid Line on the Nissan Murano. This is a common issue with the Nissan Murano from my research on the internet. The Dextron Fluid is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE! I have a two year old child and Nissans concern should be about peoples safety and not Money! I was also informed from a few Nissan dealers this is an issue with Muranos. I was also informed from a few local Nissan dealers this is a common problem with the Murano! Anyway thanks for the Photos! GOOD WORK!!
post #10 of 110 Old 07-29-2011, 12:49 PM

Type of fluid

I have a 2006 Nissan Murano SL. The manual says to use dexron type atf in the power steering instead of actual power steering fluid. Does anyone know why this is? Also, what happens if you use power steering fluid instead?

The reason I ask is because Merchant's Tire place put power steering fluid instead of the dexron which was sitting in my front seat for them to use. They did this when they replaced the high pressure line. I asked them why they didn't use what the manual said especially when I bought it for that purpose and left it on the seat and they said because they used better power steering fluid which is better than the dexron stuff.
post #11 of 110 Old 07-29-2011, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Either one should work if you are replacing the entire system. I am partial to using the power steering fluid though. Is it red in color? I have seen from a dealer parts dept. a 2 part jug their service dept use to flush the power steering fluid and its clear/yellowish color. And its not the nissan psf either. It was labeled for american and import cars.
post #12 of 110 Old 08-12-2011, 02:29 PM

OEM HP hose revised, and now at a lower cost??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3Putt View Post
Nice write up.

Keep in mind that the part number listed in this thread:

Part #s PS high pressure Hose & Tube Assembly part # 49720-CC10A 282.28

Is for the AWD Muranos.

The 2 wheel drive units have a different hose.

I was thrilled to find this pictorial posting. My 2006 AWD Murano is a rolling cliche of common issues. At 94K miles, I just replaced my front struts, I have the broken drivers seat bracket, the engine loves to drink motor oil (even though I've seen some say 1+ qt per 3000 mi could be normal), and now the high pressure PS line is leaking. I am going to tackle the hose replacement this weekend.

I just picked up a new OEM hose from the Nissan dealer yesterday, and the parts guy was surprised at the price that popped up on his computer.

Apparently a new hose has just been released. Part # 49720-CC10C is the new revision, and it is much cheaper. The list price was about $140. (I don't have the receipt with me as I write this). He double checked the price as I stood there since the new cost is about half what it used to be. Anyway, you may want to check around if you are looking for this hose. Could be a fluke, could be that Nissan has lowered the cost, could be he sold me the wrong hose, although he promised me it was correct. Good luck.
post #13 of 110 Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 PM

I just purchased the one about a week ago, the price is lower, however it does not include the sensor attached. see 2003-2007 Murano PS Pressure Hose 2WD models ONLY | eBay
post #14 of 110 Old 08-13-2011, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaGreg View Post
...the engine loves to drink motor oil (even though I've seen some say 1+ qt per 3000 mi could be normal)...
Dropped in to say that there is nothing wrong with an engine using a quart every 3K miles. I don't worry until consumption exceeds a quart per 1000 miles. You have lots of mileage left before the oil consumption is a problem.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #15 of 110 Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 AM

OK, Done! Took me about 4.5 hours. While I was in there I found that the driver's side CV joint boot had slipped off and grease spattered all over the wheel well area. I had to clean, repack, and zip tie it back in place. Also, with the splash guard off, I saw that my belts need changing soon and probably should have been done during some skipped PM service.

The PS hose was leaking somewhere at the top/center mount with oil dripping off both ends of the hose. As DJFRDJR said, the new hose did not include the sensor (I didn't know the old hose included it), so I had to swap that part back into the replacement hose. List price on the hose was $140, the dealer charged me $118. Not an easy job, but not impossible for a DIY'r with the right tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: