Sun Visor Issue -- Fixed!!! - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 36 Old 04-13-2012, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ours finally got so bad we had to do something. The pictures here were a great help and other comments made the fix easier. Thanks all for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 Old 04-16-2012, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
after about a year of dealing with this in my 05 MO i found this forum and tried the fix this weekend. This forum is awesome bc the visor is now fixed. i didnt do all the steps in warhammers post as i just needed to add the bolt through the pre-drilled hole and get it nice and tight and it allowed the visor to stay up and be adjustable when down. i think the stitching i did on the visor looks great but my wife has other thoughts. oh well. its better than dropping in her face and causing an accident.
thanks for the great post.
post #18 of 36 Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome job guys, I will be trying this fix very soon. Did anyone ever find a fix for the part that has 2 screws in it and actually holds the entire visor on the car? My passenger side has this problem as well and I CANNOT bring myself to spending $150-250 for a new visor if this visor is in perfect condition except for this tiny piece of plastic....
post #19 of 36 Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yea...you don't really need to replace anything. I ultimately had to replace the fabric on mine. While drilling the holes the bit got caught in the OEM fabric and chewed it to bits. My wife's expertise in sewing ultimately helped me fix them. Just remember that if the grease is missing, just throw some more in. If you tighten the clamp down you may experience some skipping and rough operation.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
post #20 of 36 Old 04-27-2012, 03:49 PM

Wink Great way to save a Visor

I followed everyone's idea and went a little further. Once I drill the second hole and placed the screw in it I used Lock Tight to keep them from baking out. After I cut out the foam I didn't want to leave a gaping hole. I cut a 3.5" x 3.5" piece of cardboard from a cereal box. then I curved it to fit over the opening and slid it in. I then used a hot glue gun to seal the fabric back onto the cardboard. I used a fine line of the glue to seam it together. I can send pics if you want.
post #21 of 36 Old 04-27-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.bond View Post
I followed everyone's idea and went a little further. Once I drill the second hole and placed the screw in it I used Lock Tight to keep them from baking out. After I cut out the foam I didn't want to leave a gaping hole. I cut a 3.5" x 3.5" piece of cardboard from a cereal box. then I curved it to fit over the opening and slid it in. I then used a hot glue gun to seal the fabric back onto the cardboard. I used a fine line of the glue to seam it together. I can send pics if you want.
Post up some pics, share the wealth my man....
post #22 of 36 Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 PM

Pictures of Visor Repair

Here are the pics of my repair. I tore the material a little but it's not too noticable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01070.jpg
Views:	2182
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	17264   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01071.jpg
Views:	2501
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	17265   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01072.jpg
Views:	1238
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	17266   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01073.jpg
Views:	1128
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	17267   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01074.jpg
Views:	1517
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	17268  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01075.jpg
Views:	1259
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	17269  
JMF and lrosenberg6 like this.
post #23 of 36 Old 04-30-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.bond View Post
Here are the pics of my repair. I tore the material a little but it's not too noticable.
WOW! now those are some great detailed pics for this fix. these will definitley help out a lot of people. I WILL be doing this very soon.
Thanks....
post #24 of 36 Old 07-20-2012, 11:48 AM
MEE

Talk about standing on the shoulders of giants. Thanks to all you guys who've blazed the trail on this repair. I leveraged your efforts and applied a few tweaks. All told this took me around an hour or so. Wish I did this a long time ago. Mechanically I give myself an A (now will even stay right up against the windshield). I give myself a B+ on cosmetics because of some adhesive overrun.

For those of you interested, below is my pictorial step by step.

1) Split seam: Used razor blade, stayed on seam in hopes of getting cleaner re-seal at end

2) Peeling back inner tape:

3)Cut away styrofoam to access to mechanism: Tried to remove as 1 piece so that can be re-installed when done. Started by peeling from one corner and it came up because the adhesive was still tacky.

4) Enlarged access to clamp: Didn't get size quite right 1st time so removed bit more styrofoam

5) Screws: Chose sheet metal screws rather than nut/bolt. Screw allows for easy adjustment while installed in car. #8 x 3/8". I wouldn't go any longer than 3/8. Also, this type of screw makes for easy, screwdriver only adjustment when installed in vehicle

6) 1/8" drill bit for screws

7) Screws Installed: Did not use pre-drilled hole becasue it was too big for screws I had on hand. So ended up with 3 screws instead of two like some folks. Applied white lithium grease into gaps. This holds visor in all positions including fully against windshield.

8) After styrofoam and tape are re-installed: Tape was still sticky from original adhesive and styrofoam fit snugly. Not that it affected the outcome, but I think I would glued the styrofoam in place.

9) Upholstery adhesive: $3 at Lowe's. Specifically for vinyl, fabric & plastic. This stuff is on the runny side so used toothpick to apply to fabric and applied directly from tube on the styrofoam. Downside is long cure time (2 hrs to set and 24 to cure). Spec says it's good to 140F which should handle hot car in middle of summer in my area (>100F all summer).

10) Seam taped back up: Applied tape all along the seam trying to keep it from separating anywhere. Used normal office tape which was handy. It did stick to the cured adhesive in places I overapplied the adhesive and created little bit of cosmetic issue (see next pic)

11) Done: Finished product. Finished product. I peeled the tape off after couple of hours (carefully as adhesive was still moist in places). Went back and reapplied to places where seam was not tight. The white residue on right side is due to excess adhesive I applied. I was able to clean up for most part by scraping and a suede brush. Good thing is that the ugly stuff is nearly invisible from driver's vantage point.
lrosenberg6 likes this.

'03 Murano SL AWD (105k miles as of July 2011)

Last edited by MEE; 08-02-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: fixed typos and broken photobucket links
post #25 of 36 Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 AM

Great job folks.
post #26 of 36 Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 PM

I just want to say "thanks" to everyone who has posted on this thread. I just finished fixing my sun visor with the help of this forum. I thought people here might want to know that this thread is still helping Murano owners with a bad sun visors.
post #27 of 36 Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the pics MEE, i have an 07 , internal hinge was slightly different but still put in the 2 screws. Lined the interior seam on both sides with a small strip of duct tape for the length of the fabric I cut open. This gave some bite when I sewed it shut. Now I can drive without the thing down all the time. Saved me $$ THANKS !
post #28 of 36 Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for the info all! Mine just started falling down last week.

Never done anything like this before so I'm not looking forward to it. lol

2007 Nissan Murano SL - Platinum
| Nav | Backup Cam | HID | Bose | Leather | Tint | K&N Filter | Custom CF Grille | 22" KMC's on Nitto's | H&R Springs |

post #29 of 36 Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 PM

Accident from visor

Well my girlfriend has a Murano and so many things have gone wrong with is that I have started to do some research to try and fix it. The visor fell down right before making a left hand turn and she crashed into someone. I cut the visor off with a hack saw because I was pissed off. Now a year later we are getting married and I will need to share cars with her. I'm trying to replace the visor and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on where to get the cheapest replacement? Let me know thanks.
post #30 of 36 Old 08-08-2013, 12:07 AM

Thanks everyone who has helped perfect this fix. My wife and I have been battling the dropping sun visor for months now. Very annoying. Now I too have a working drivers side sun visor. Just wanted you to know that this thread is still helping Murano owners. WOOHOO!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: