User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-07-2012, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
K & N replacement air filter? Yes or No

Hey guys,

I have been reading through a bunch of the older posts and was told by someone to get rid of my K&N replacement air filter because of too much oil. I was just wondering what the general consensus was on the forum about this. I've put the filters on most of my other cars without an issue.

Just wondering.

Thanks guys

Hiram

2005 Nissan Murano SL
1993 Nissan 300zx 2+2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
IF, if the K&N is oiled properly you will have no issues. Keep in mind that more oil can cause more issues/harm then not enough oil. Just assure proper oiling and I say yes for use of a K&N oil filter.

By the way, I used K&N's for years and would still do so if I was replacing an OEM filter on a high performance vehicle. I discount nonsensical posts on this forum that advocate not using a K&N oil filter for whatever reason and that the use of a K&N oil filter offers nothing positive in regard to air flow to the vehicle, improved gas mileage, etc..

eeeee
#3 Old 01-08-2012, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
I tend to disagree with friend Bill on K&N, but I agree that if the filter is not over-oiled it probably won't cause problems.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#4 Old 01-08-2012, 04:53 PM

I also disagree with friend Bill on the K and N. I ran them on Porsches, and ended up going back to stock. BTW....can you tell me what's wrong with a GOOD stock filter? Can you articulate what advantage there is by going to a K and N other than the fact you can reuse it and don't have to buy another one? Have you ever seen a stock filter throw a CEL? (Other than perhaps one that became so clogged that it set off the sensor) Have you seen any reliable data or stats...(operative word is reliable) that actually show how many HP or what performance you might gain by using a K and N?

Have you ever read a warranty that actually states that the use of a K and N will void your warranty? I have. Not with the MO, but with other makes. Why do you suppose that is?

I'm putting on my flak jacket in preparation for some friendly fire. Let's just keep it friendly...

2009 Murano LE, white/tan, 48K miles; with all the amenities you can pack into this thing. Whoever had it first was obviously a doo-dad guy. Can't watch DVD movies because the headrest screens are facing backwards!!
#5 Old 01-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I will not participate in any discussion (pissing contests) in regard to oil filters, air filters or the like. Will only say that for one application especially, a properly oiled K&N or similar oiled filter is the filter of choice if you operate in a fairly dusty environment. Also, very often preferred in a wet environment.

For the record, I have owned Porsche's, Corvettes, Z's, a Ford Lightning, and other such vehicles along with many, many Harleys and all did extremely well with a properly oiled K&N air filter. Only my experience which in reality means chitt. Yes, I now own an old man's / old ladies car, (yes it is) the Nissan Murano. NO, I do not push K&N's down peoples throats but do know they can be often be the preferred filter dependent on vehicle use, operating environment, etc..

Chuck ..... I'd like to see you tender a copy of such a warranty that states what you say. Show me the warranty ........ You will not be able to provide. Talk is just that, talk... and some of that talk, especially on forums such as this is nonsensical at best. Also, do read here Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

eeeee
#6 Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
K&N air filter are not anything new and to anyone who doesn't think they do anything then you gotta open your eyes. Why do you think soo many manufacturers are popping up with their own versions of the cotton-gauzed air filters? Some like AEM even have their own "dry" filters that don't use oil. Ask yourself this, whats easier, breathing through a piece of paper (stock filter) or through a T-shirt (cotton)?

When I attended Universal Technical Institute we actually had a flow bench and compared many filters and sure enough the K&N outflows the factory filter any day of the week. We even had a chassis dyno and compared a Camaro LT1 Z28 and a VW Golf stock versus a cold air intake including K&N filter and the Camaro gained 11 wheel horsepower, the Golf about 4 I think. Sure you can say the aftermarket high flow intake aided in most of the gains but the high flow filter sure didn't hurt either.

Look, installing a high flow air filter prob won't cause a noticeable gain in performance alone but it should, in theory, help some with fuel economy. As long as you don't over oil it and follow the cleaning directions then you shouldn't have any issues with warranty. If anything, swap out your filter to stock before taking it in for repairs in case they try to blame the filter for something unrelated.

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
#7 Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 PM

Bill: Want to lay $100 on the table when I sent the copy of the warranty? I know there are believers and non-believers....but having been thru so much of they hype products myself and paid out thousands of dollars for doo-dads that did little or nothing....I had to learn the hard way. There's so much hype but so little to back it up.

I'll dig out the warranty info if I can find it after all this time....after I sold my cars, I didn't keep alot of the paperwork...no excuses, not setting up a disclaimer...I'm on the hunt as we speak.

Izzy: You're probably as versed or knowledgeable as anyone on this forum when it comes to the MO or even Nissan products, so your word and experience carry some weight....but in spite of that, I still maintain that as long as you have a clean and well made OEM filter, there will be no noticeable difference in either gas mileage or performance in the MO. The ONLY advantage is that if it's properly maintained and not over-oiled, once you buy a K and N you don't have to buy another air filter. K and N has been responsible for more guys having to buy O2 sensors and Mass air sensors than you can shake a stick at....mostly because of over-oiling. How much is a K and N??? How much is a MAF? How much is an OEM filter?

Now....Bill has thrown down the gauntlet, so I'm off to dig thru the paperwork. Over the years I've found that crow tastes like $hit, so I'm pretty careful when making definitive statements.

Chuck

2009 Murano LE, white/tan, 48K miles; with all the amenities you can pack into this thing. Whoever had it first was obviously a doo-dad guy. Can't watch DVD movies because the headrest screens are facing backwards!!
#8 Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
This is not directed at any person, it's just to explain my thought process....

My concern about K&N isn't air flow - I'm willing to grant that they may flow more air than the stock filter.

The question is: WHY do they do that??

My reasoning is that to let more air through, unless you greatly increase the surface area of the filter, you must be providing bigger holes for air to pass through, thereby letting more tiny particulate matter through the filter.

More air flow is not a good thing if it also means letting more grit and particulates into the engine. In fact, if that is the case, it's a bad thing.

The K&N filters I have seen have much less surface area then the stock paper filters, which increases my motivation to ask the question in the paragraph above. Just coating a thinner filter with oil doesn't make it more effective at filtering out small particles.

In the short run, I doubt that this matters much. Over the course of 60K or even as much as 100K miles, maybe you won't notice increased engine wear from the additional particulate matter passed into the combustion chambers. But it seems to me that somewhere around the 100K mile mark (or maybe earlier), you probably will see increased oil consumption and decreased compression because of accelerated wear in the cylinders and rings.

If you trade every 3 or 4 years, that's not a big deal - you're passing the problem to the next owner and it's nothing that you need to deal with.

But if you try to drive cars to 150K or 200K miles, then it seems reasonable to me to think twice about running a K&N or other non-stock filter which has less surface area.

I haven't seen scientific tests quantifying the difference in particulates admitted by stock filters vs. K&N. If someone knows of good studies (NOT provided by K&N) I'd be interested in reading them. My reasoning may not be accurate...it's just the best I can do with the information I have.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#9 Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I don't know. I imagine the "stickiness" of the oil soaked filter would cause more particulate matter to be captured than a dry filter with the same holes. There are just too many people out there using K&N filters and they can't all be wrong. However, just like any other tool, and the filter is a tool, if you don't use it the right way it will not be able to do its job properly. So key is to have it oiled correctly and if you cannot do it, then don't use it.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#10 Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 PM

Bill: You're such a gentleman....I would have no problem paying you the $100 rather than have to depend upon the recipes for crow you provided...but before we count chickens....let me do my research...Christ I hate eating that damn bird.

#11 Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 AM
sev

I know Mercedes uses a proprietary filter made out of fleece.
Would i use a K&N instead of that?No.
M'i using a K&N instead of the paper OEM from the Nissan dealer?Yes.
#12 Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Look guys, im done arguing about K&Ns, high flow filters and stock filters. There's a ton of discussions about this all over the internet.

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
#13 Old 01-19-2012, 02:24 PM

Yikes......... I hate to step into the battlefield BUT....
I run K&N air filters in ALL of my current and past vehicles including my boat and I have NEVER had an issue. What I HAVE had is an increase in MPG and no need to change it on a semi-regular basis like the stock filters. Just sayin'..............

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD
Sunlit Copper Metallic/ Orange leather

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: