Mechanic Topped Off CVT with Regular Transmission Fluid - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 19 Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mechanic Topped Off CVT with Regular Transmission Fluid

I had my front axles replaced on my 2003 Murano (145,000 miles), and I noticed that my mechanic topped off the transmission fluid (due to fluid loss during axle change) with regular transmission fluid (not CVT fluid). He probably added close to 1 quart of fluid. Does anything need to be done to address this? If so, should my mechanic be responsible for the cost? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The only fluid approved for the CVT is Nissan's NS-2.

The CVT holds 10-3/4 quarts of CVT fluid. Your mechanic adding one quart of conventional fluid should not immediately harm the CVT because the existing 9-3/4 quarts may have sufficiently diluted it.

However, I would definitely bring it to your mechanics attention and request that he do a flush and fill. A flush/fill will require approximately 12-14 quarts of Nissan NS-2 fluid.

And yes, the mechanic should cover the full cost of correcting his error.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #3 of 19 Old 01-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Hi Njjoe - I plan on refilling my transmission fluid only when there is a leak or it is low, I will never flush it to avoid problems, so when refilling can it need up to a litre of Nissan Ns-2 to refilll at any given time? Thanks.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodymurano View Post
Hi Njjoe - I plan on refilling my transmission fluid only when there is a leak or it is low, I will never flush it to avoid problems, so when refilling can it need up to a litre of Nissan Ns-2 to refilll at any given time? Thanks.
That is an impossible question to answer.

If a seal fails then you may need several liters depending on the severity of the leak and the time elapsed between inspections.

However, if the seals remain fine then you may never need to replenish the fluid.

Let's hope for the latter.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #5 of 19 Old 01-10-2012, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I would NOT drive that car until the fluid is flushed and replaced. I would be reluctant to drive as far as the dealership, but I would do so gently. That's the ONLY place I would drive it!!!!

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #6 of 19 Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Since you are beyond the CVT extended warranty coverage, you can do whatever you want on your cvt. You can use any type of fluid you like beside the NS2. But you let us know what happens, if any, since its only the NS2 you should be putting in there according to nissan.

If you plan on driving/keeping your MO for a long time, I would insist in the full fluid replacement---12 quarts. I would not risk the 6k dollar cvt replacement because some mechanic put in the wrong fluid. Would you? It cost me about $140 for 12 quarts of NS2 fluid--ebay--when I flushed my cvt fluid several months ago--80k.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-16-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post
Since you are beyond the CVT extended warranty coverage, you can do whatever you want on your cvt. You can use any type of fluid you like beside the NS2. But you let us know what happens, if any, since its only the NS2 you should be putting in there according to nissan.

If you plan on driving/keeping your MO for a long time, I would insist in the full fluid replacement---12 quarts. I would not risk the 6k dollar cvt replacement because some mechanic put in the wrong fluid. Would you? It cost me about $140 for 12 quarts of NS2 fluid--ebay--when I flushed my cvt fluid several months ago--80k.
why did you have to flush your transmission completely at only 80k? Nissan recommends only a refill if your fluid is low due to sippage or leakage, did u have other problems?
post #8 of 19 Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
No. No problem. When I repaired my left axle seal leak, I did not like the color of the cvt fluid--dark old motor oil type-- that came out of it and decided to flush it months later. Its just for my piece of mind. See, I plan to keep my MO for atleast 15+ years if no major repairs arise. Call it what you want--preventive/over maintenance, etc....Atleast now I know its not gonna be the fluid that will cause its failure. I posted the cvt fluid flushing somewhere and had pix on it. You can find it if you do a search.

There are 2 camps regarding cvt fluid change. One is to just maintain proper fluid level and the other is changing the fluid (either drain and fill or total flush). Lots of posted discussion on this topic. Including putting a totally different fluid after draining the old one. Look for it.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
So - has the OP gotten the fluid problem corrected? Post something, will you please???

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #10 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post
No. No problem. When I repaired my left axle seal leak, I did not like the color of the cvt fluid--dark old motor oil type-- that came out of it and decided to flush it months later. Its just for my piece of mind. See, I plan to keep my MO for atleast 15+ years if no major repairs arise. Call it what you want--preventive/over maintenance, etc....Atleast now I know its not gonna be the fluid that will cause its failure. I posted the cvt fluid flushing somewhere and had pix on it. You can find it if you do a search.

There are 2 camps regarding cvt fluid change. One is to just maintain proper fluid level and the other is changing the fluid (either drain and fill or total flush). Lots of posted discussion on this topic. Including putting a totally different fluid after draining the old one. Look for it.
ok...I just bought a 2003 Nissan Murano - this was before I heard of all the problems..I bought it cos I normally thought that Nissan's were like Teflon, not knowing that Murano was a different story. So any thing I learn to help maintain mine I always listen to. Thanks.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
LOL, Nissan is like Teflon, except that Nissan does not permit repair of CVT, only its replacement, which is costly. Just maintain the car the way you should and everything will be fine.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
post #12 of 19 Old 01-20-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am bringing the car into the mechanic tomorrow to have some other work done (replace steering rack and Bank 1 Catyltic converter) and will discuss this issue with him and request the flush and refill.
post #13 of 19 Old 01-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Njjoe, perhaps u can help me answer this questions as I have been getting my knowledge from you - thanks.

I plan on driving my 2003 Nissan murano an average of 6,000 miles annually here in Nigeria. It came with 93,000 miles, so far no transmisison problems I know of with the car. Do you think that I can avoid transmissdion problems driving it this little or will it still break down? I have contacted the Nigerian Nissan dealerships here, thanks to the information you gave me and the car is not covered under warantee for cvt as it was purchased in Canada and shipped over here in Nigeria and registered.
I plan on calling Nissan Canada to see whether there is a way they can tell me if the CVT had ever been replaced. Thanks.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-25-2012, 03:07 AM
KtG

DO not drive the vehicle. ATF in the CVT, in almost any amount will quickly damage it. It needs drained and flushed (no power flush) ASAP, with NS2.
post #15 of 19 Old 01-25-2012, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
I agree, flush that thing out right away. But just FYI, my sister had our Murano serviced at a local shop since it was new and once i bought it, i noticed the CVT fluid was bright red! I went through her service records and they did document adding 1 quart Dexron ATF at one time but after 120,000 miles it was still driving troublefree on the original CVT and TC. I own it now and after flushing the CVT fluid out with 25ish bottles of CVT fluid (I know, i wanted it out!) it still drives good at 124,000 miles. But its def a gamble and i'd suggest changing that out asap.

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: