Nissan Murano Forum banner

To repair or not to repair

14K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  The DA 
#1 ·
My Murano (2004, 193k miles) needs an alternator and battery to get it running again. Dealer it tracking down an aftermarket alternator so I don't have a repair cost for that yet. Not that it really matter, as I definitely need that.

Supposedly it also needs:
1. New rear subframe. According to dealer it is rusted through and a danger to drive.
2. Two valve cover gaskets. It is leaking oil (I can confirm that the oil level does drop but I've never understood why I never see it on the driveway.)
3.Tune up if it wasn't done at 100k (it was)
4. Drive belts
5. Torn dust cover boots/CV joints (these were done two years ago, probably 50,000 miles ago).
6. Struts, mounts, shocks, outer tie rod ends, etc.

I know the rear end is rusty but cars always have rust so I guess I never realized just how rusty.

Recommendations or comments? I think all these repairs, or at least the most important ones will be too costly for me to justify on a car that old. I guess I'll get it running and sell it to carmax. I was planning to give it to my teenager next year but I don't want him driving something that's unsafe. That subframe issue has me worried.

See less See more
#2 ·
First thing is to go someplace other than a dealer for an alternator and bettery. You can buy a reman at NAPA Online for $157. Check THAT against dealer! An independent shop can install it if you can't....and can replace the belts while they're at it.

Battery you can do yourself for under $100.

Independent shop can do both the CV axles; I'm surprised they're torn up after only 50K miles. I'm gonna guess $500 for both.

Rear subframe - Whoa, that may be a show-stopper! Again, I'd get a quote from an independent shop. I'm not even sure what part that is on a Murano.

Overall, aside from the sub-frame I can see less than $2K in repairs, BUT - at 193K miles if you want to have a reliable car for your kid, I'd sell it for what I can get and move on. That's a little too much mileage and too much expense there. The vehicle is probably worth $4500 (give or take) and I think the repairs are high IF it does need a sub-frame.

#4 ·
Hmmm. I thought I had replied to this two days ago, but I guess it didn't take.

I agree on getting a second opinion and an independent shop etc.

I called my independent guy and he didn't call me back until after I had to make a decision on where to have it towed to so I chose the dealer.

I'm not sure how I would get the car from the dealer to another shop without towing it and that would probably offset the savings especially since I'd have to pay nissan the $99 diagnostic fee if I don't have them do any work.

ETA - the dealer called literally as I was hitting submit on this post.

About $900 for the alternator/battery including labor.

$1850 for the subframe.

$5000 for sealing the gaskets. That seemed high and he thought there might be an error on that one. Anyway, that's where I'm at.

#5 ·
I'd have them do the alternator and get the rest looked at by an independent shop. If you don't have one you trust search online for local car clubs, join their forum, and ask.

And $5k for valve cover gaskets is either a mistake or the dealer is as shady as they come. It's a <$300 job even at dealer prices. I would RUN not walk away from that dealer. It makes me seriously doubt any of the other repairs are even needed but another shop can verify that.

#8 ·
Well, the tech consultant guy I was dealing with did instill any confidence at all in me. My independent guy said he could do the alternator for $325. Even with the Nissan Diagnostic fee and the towing charge (insurance covered some but there was overage from the miles) it's still cheaper than the $750 for the alternator the dealer wanted.

I considered having it towed to my house and doing it myself, but I figure an alternator is close to $200 so for only an extra $125 I'd let him do it. That way he can check out the subframe for me too.

I never did get clarification on the $5k price. Maybe that was for all the repairs combined that they were recommending.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.