Nissan Murano Forum banner

CVT Question

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Amos33 
#1 ·
What are the symptoms for knowing the CVT is going bad? I am at 108K so close to the 110K warranty cut off.
I've noticed that say when I start off, it goes, then sort of bogs down a little bit then goes again. Was wondering if that was CVT or engine.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Amos, I think you may start by getting someone to hook up a machine and see if we have codes. Could be anything from fuel issue, computer error with timing and yes, maybe a CVT issue. I believe everyone first thinks it's a CVT when sometimes it isn't.

#4 ·
...I've noticed that say when I start off, it goes, then sort of bogs down a little bit then goes again. Was wondering if that was CVT or engine...
Although checking your CVT this close to end of warranty is a good idea, I do not believe the hesitation you are referring to is caused by your CVT.

Why? Hesitation in an automatic transmission is usually caused by slippage. Since CVT does not have anything to slip, I don't think it is the cause for what you are describing.

Hesitation, as you have described it, is more than likely as the result of engine misfire caused by a spark plug or a timing sensor. If you have not changed your plugs, this may be a good time.

#5 ·
Your right, I want to make sure any problems are reported before it runs out. When I run it in manual shift it doesn't do it so I thought it might be related. What symptons would I notice from a bad CVT? Thank you for your response, I appreciate it.

#7 ·
I have also noticed with the murano CVT, at about 12mph the torque converter locks up and makes it "appear" to bog down, as it makes the RPMs drop down to about 1400 RPM or so.

That part is natural and just a quirk of how they have it programmed. I am used to it now, although it appears annoying at times, depending on how one accelerates and whether on flat ground or going a bit up or downhill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.