Need help with Service Engine Soon light - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 02-05-2012, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need help with Service Engine Soon light

Took my wifeís 07 MO in for the 90,000 mile service and boy have we had a problem since then. They have a window in the service area and I sit and watched them do the service and now that I look back I should have said something but I didnít. Several times there were more than 1 mechanic over there helping him and I was thinking they were just teaming up on it to get it out but now I donít think he knew what he was doing. Once they were done and I left I went almost a mile and realized that they had not reset my oil or tire readings (new tires were also put on) nor did they put one of those oil stickers up in the windshield. I went back and the service manger put the sticker in and reset the oil and tire. A few days later my wife calls me because she is having car problems and there are 4 other ladies in the car with her. She said it is running but just barely and they are not in a safe area so she is going to try to make it to a safe area. There ages are between 45 and 82 so walking was out of the question and not a safe spot to sit and wait for the police/help.
Short story....she made it her moms house and the next day it was towed into the dealer because it did not have the power to drive it. Service manger said a hose had come off the intake manifold and it was covered under warranty since the hose was to short. About two days later the Service Engine Soon light comes on, so back to the dealer again. This time he says the Cat Converter is bad and it will be $1200 Ė $1500 to fix it. He also said it may just be a false code so they reset the code and I left with the light out. Almost a week later my wife put gas in and boom, the light was back on. The cap is on good and tight but after about 1,000 miles it is still on but we canít tell any problem with the way it runs. I think the hose came back off because it was not put back on correct. I am also thinking the service engine light came on because they may not have done the fuel injectors cleaning correct. What do you guys think? I have also looked/searched for how to check the code myself but canít find it. I see where it is talked about but canít find how to do it. I want to clear the code again right after we fuel up and see if it stays out until we refuel again. Can someone post where the instructions are to do it yourself so I can find the code then how to clear the light?

Red_bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-06-2012, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_bike View Post
What do you guys think?Red_bike
I think you need to start going to another dealer. There IS no fuel injector cleaning nor 90K service specified by Nissan. I have heard of other Mo owners getting both of those done, but they are always done by isolated Nissan dealers who use them strictly as $$ makers.

I'm not saying that at 90K you might have just coincidentally needed to get something done (like an oil change or tires), but there is nothing specific to Muranos required at 90K.
#3 Old 02-06-2012, 06:19 AM

The service bulletin that i found on what to do with the suv with 90.000 miles only specifies to INSPECT the axle, brakes and rotors, belts, fuel lines, steering gear, rack and linkage, drive belts and transfer case fluid. it also says to REPLACE air and oil filter, cabin filter, engine oil. also says to ROTATE the tires. I did not found anything in there to "clean the injectors" or anything even closely related to that. What you can do go to your local auto parts store and ask them to let them borrow an OBD computer so you can see what the code is then you can have it looked at. But yea what nafddur said is right. There's VERY few honest dealers out there. You may want to keep going to the next dealership. Good luck

04 Murano SL AWD
PAC IPOD controller
Rockford Fosgate R1T-S tweeters
Alpine SPR-60 6.5 cm front doors
Polk DXI6500 6.5 cm component system rear doors
JL Audio Slash 300/4v2 4 channel amp
Rockford Fosgate r30012 powered 12" Subwoofer
#4 Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 AM

Yes that dealer has seen the last of me. I now they did do the Fuel injectors and it was part of there "package deal". The belts had been chaged at about 45k I think and they were cracking. They have never done me wrong before when I had them do other things. I use to do the oil myself but after my stoke I no longer can do it.
#5 Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Super Senior Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
This time he says the Cat Converter is bad and it will be $1200 Ė $1500 to fix it. He also said it may just be a false code so they reset the code and I left with the light out.
CLASSIC NISSAN SERVICE RIGHT THERE!

Quote:
I want to clear the code again right after we fuel up and see if it stays out until we refuel again. Can someone post where the instructions are to do it yourself so I can find the code then how to clear the light?
Spend $20 and buy this:
LINK LINK
Not only will you be quickly able to reset the code, you'll be able to accurately read it.

Former owner of ~~~~> Black O3 SE AWD

#6 Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr3Putt View Post
Spend $20 and buy this: LINK Not only will you be quickly able to reset the code, you'll be able to accurately read it.
Thanks for the link. I have been procrastinating on the OBD scanner for a while now. For $18.74 (free shipping) it is now a no-brainer!

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#7 Old 02-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Super Senior Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
Thanks for the link. I have been procrastinating on the OBD for a while now. For $18.74 (free shipping) it is now a no-brainer!

-njjoe
When I bought mine I justified it by thinking "hey, just a little more than a tank of gas..."

I've got to quit justifying purchases based on fill up prices....

You're right though for $19, if you use it once EVER it's more than paid for itself.

Former owner of ~~~~> Black O3 SE AWD

#8 Old 02-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
I have that same reader (paid $30 for it on ebay 5+ years ago) and it has served me well on 3 vehicles I've owned and countless friends/coworkers I've scanned.

As to the OP, what's scary about the catalytic converter is that the car was barely running and forced to continue on. With the problem turning out to be a hose coming off the intake that means the air/fuel ratios would have been way off during this time, most likely dumping a lot of raw fuel into the cat (where it will burn). Sure enough a couple days later and the cat has failed, as they typically do when abused.

Either get a scanner or a shop you can trust and get to the bottom of it. If it does turn out to be the cat take it as a $1500 lesson that next time having the 5 ladies sit and wait for a ride and having the car towed is better than forcing it to keep going when it's obviously trying to tell you something is seriously wrong.
#9 Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Spend $20 and buy this:
LINK
LINK
Not only will you be quickly able to reset the code, you'll be able to accurately read it.
Thanks for your help. I ordered one and have used it each time I fuel up to remove the light. I know I need to get it in a shop to fix.
My sister just came by and said her Service Eng Light was on so I used it and found the code. We out to her truck and put her gas cap on for her. She would have taken to some shop. Thanks for everyones help.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: