Nissan Murano Forum banner

Belt squeals on start up

30K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  JCVOLLIBALL 
#1 ·
I recently replaced both belts on the Murano, but they still squeal on start up like they are loose. I have checked and tightened them as far as I am comfortable doing, but, there is still a squeal on start up.

Any ideas? The noise is infuriating, and seems to draw anyone towards the vehicle to comment on what the noise is, and is your vehicle OK, etc etc.

Thanks.

#5 ·
naiku-

What year is your MO?

Some earlier MOs had a problem with the adjustment bracket cracking which prevented the belts from being properly tensioned.

-njjoe

#6 ·
Likely just the wrong tension set after the belts were put on.

#8 ·
My co-worker had that problem and we found the belts to be over tightened.
On a side note though i would recommend you change the idler pully as well. When I did the belts on my MO I figured why not. The extra 100$ will save me headaches in the long run

#9 ·
May not have to replace idler, check your tension first. If its too loose, belt just slips a bit before pulley grabs it. If its too tight, it can wear out the bearing in the ac compressor. It happened to me too and I had to play around a bit to find out the right tightness.

#10 ·
Sometimes a quick spray with belt dressing can help eliminate noise (albeit temporarily). Still best to figure out underlying cause. This video explains the types of noises and causes of belt squeal (although they do not recommend belt dressing and don't explain why although they are in the business of selling belts which may provide some explanation):

#11 ·
Sometimes a quick spray with belt dressing can help eliminate noise (albeit temporarily). Still best to figure out underlying cause. This video explains the types of noises and causes of belt squeal
Thanks, I will have to watch that video when I get home. The belt literally just squeaks for a second or two at start up, and then does not squeak again. I need to get it sorted, just have not had the time to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.