Nissan Murano Forum banner

Total engine swap

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of changing out the whole engine with something that has a real automatic transmission so one could play around with the go fast goodies like blowers, turbos, chips, tuned headers, etc. Something like when they used to swap out Jaguar XKE 's with a 350 and hydramatic? You can't beat the body style of a 2003. 186,000 on mine, and I'd like to stomp some of these youngsters who think they got the fastest thing between stop lights. Money isn't the object. Just an 80 yr old with a couple bucks to blow on a new toy instead of some young honey.

#2 ·
The most practical route would be to identify a Nissan vehicle with the same basic V6 and a manual transmission in a FWD vehicle.. A transplant from that would be as close to practical as anything.

The temptation is to pick a 350Z, but that's RWD and the only thing it has in common is the engine series. I can't think of any FWD vehicle Nissan made with that V6 that had a manual transmission. Maybe someone else can.

The old Jags and similar cars had longitudinal engines and RWD. It's MUCH easier to swap engines and drivetrains in a car with longitudinal engine. A lot of Chevy and Ford small blocks were transplanted into XK-E and 240Z cars, but the same layout was used there.

A FWD vehicle with transverse engine is pretty limited in options unless you can bolt them in from another related vehicle.

#3 ·
The temptation is to pick a 350Z, but that's RWD and the only thing it has in common is the engine series. I can't think of any FWD vehicle Nissan made with that V6 that had a manual transmission. Maybe
I had a 2004 maxima with a v6 and 6 speed manual transmission. I think that was the last gen of maximas with a manual trans.

#5 ·
i kid. i kid. i don't think that cvt would last more than a dozen pulls with that stuff.
how about a supercharger? i would think the cvt would make sc'ing a very attractive option

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.