Nissan Murano Forum banner

2004 Murano rear brake caliper lower bolt removal

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  john 07 
#1 ·
Was changing brakes on my 2004 Murano SL and stripped passenger side rear bottom bolt holding the caliper. Based on my previous experience, I believe there is an issue taking it out. I got a replacement bold from Kragen (was surprised they carried a set - and of course this happened to me on a Saturday at 4:45 PM, when all stealers are closed). Any tips on replacing this bolt? Would appreciate the feedback. Thanks

#3 ·
Caliper bolt removal

Has anybody tried removing the lower caliper bolt? There seems to be a metal piece that is not allowing a complete bolt removal. Any thoughts?

#4 ·
so the bolt is unthreaded then. i replaced my rear calipers and didn't have an obstacle for any bolts. you're talking about the carrier bolt? you have a pic? if it's somehow too long, and is being replaced anyways due to the stripped head, you can use a cut off wheel to zip a portion of the shank off

#6 ·
Was changing brakes on my 2004 Murano SL and stripped passenger side rear bottom bolt holding the caliper. Based on my previous experience, I believe there is an issue taking it out.
I've done the brake pads twice on my 04 SE (first at 65K miles 9/09, and the second time at 106K 4/13) and had no problems with either of the rear caliper bolts. Unless you're referring to the one bolt that has slightly limited access via a socket, so you need to use a box wrench to loosen it - but that really wasn't a problem (just a little annoying).

Oh yeah - combined, I've spent $52 on the brakes on my Mo in the 10+ years I've owned it, buying the first set of pads in 2009 and using my warranty exchange 2 years ago.

#7 ·
same here I have done in the past the rear brakes on the murano with
no problems, I no the lower rear bolt is fairly in a tight spot to turn but
not imposible to do what I hate getting out are set screws on the rotors pain in the rear..! did my brakes on my other vehicle had 3 of those to drill out 2

on one side of rotor and 1 one on other side of rotor drilled a hole
enough that I could fit a screwdriver in then tapped using a hammer and finally turned each one out all came out mined you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.