Nissan Murano Forum banner

damn this car and its 02 sensors

18K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnMc 
#1 ·
Hey everyone got that code p0158 and I took a little trip and looked down this car to check on some things and he's what I found. Down the line from the top sensor 1 from the front of the car behind the radiator down to the back of the motor towards the firewall.

Now the first picture that's posted is the first sensor at the radiator which is the upstream. The second that's right beneath that that sits on top of the pipe which is the downstream o2 sensor. The next sensor is the downstream sensor which leads back up to the upstream o2 sensor next to the firewall.

I think I'm going to have to chance the downstream one that's behind the 02 sensor behind the radiator. Which would be sensor 2 any advice would be nice.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
So the problem is...? Are you unsure which sensor to replace? I suggest that generics work very nicely at a small part of the cost of OEM units.

#5 ·
O2 sensors are very simple devices - they heat up, produce a voltage, and the car's computer sees it.

What the Home Mechanic Needs to Know about O2 Sensors

"An oxygen sensor will typically generate up to about 0.9 volts when the fuel mixture is rich and there is little unburned oxygen in the exhaust. When the mixture is lean, the sensor's output voltage will drop down to about 0.1 volts. When the air/fuel mixture is balanced or at the equilibrium point of about 14.7 to 1, the sensor will read around 0.45 volts."

"The oxygen sensor must be hot (about 600 degrees or higher) before it will start to generate a voltage signal, so many oxygen sensors have a small heating element inside to help them reach operating temperature more quickly. The heating element can also prevent the sensor from cooling off too much during prolonged idle, which would cause the system to revert to open loop."

"Heated O2 sensors are used mostly in newer vehicles and typically have 3 or 4 wires. Older single wire O2 sensors do not have heaters. When replacing an O2 sensor, make sure it is the same type as the original (heated or unheated)."

I don't really care which generic - just find one that fits. Replace 3-wire with 3, 4-wire with 4.

Last time I bought one I didn't even buy it with an OEM connector - I bought one with stripped ends, cut off the OEM connector on the old one and soldered it as per the enclosed instructions. Worked fine.

#6 ·
That looks like hella rust. Use plenty of rust penetrant and let it soak for a long time.

That code is for bank 2 rear oxygen sensor which would be the blue connector one if i remember right. It's the one after the car nearest the radiator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.