User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 22 Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs

Ok, so id like to start off and say that this is my first write up. Please bare with me if things might get confusing, and if you have anything else to add please do!!

This write up is on how to access the headlight assembly to switch out bulbs as needed.

First, there are three covers that are above the grill that need to come off, you will need a Phillips screw driver to do this.
Attachment 17182
Attachment 17183

Once that is done, there is the middle intake that needs to come off. To do this, you simply have to lift it up to your right and it will slide out of the air filter box.
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3784.jpg
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3785.jpg

Next, you need to take the front grill off. This sounds a lot scarier then it really is!!!! It is actually really simple. There are 6 clips on the top and 6 big clips on the bottom that need to pop out for the grill to come off. These are the clips on the top, they are round and should just pop up with upward force.
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3786.jpg

Next you need to pull the lower clips:
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3787.jpg

Out of the slots on the car:
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3788.jpg

Now you need to take the arm connecting to the radiator off. There are six bolts one this arm. There is a bolt that is hiding on the underside of the arm. The red arrow in the picture gives you an idea of where it is at. One bolt is holding the headlight housing on this arm. That bolt also needs to come off, the second bolt will come off later in the write up.
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3807.jpg

Next you need to turn your wheel to the far left (if you are doing the left side, vice versa for the right side). There is a mud flap, another piece that protects the motor from mud, and one other that is protecting the headlight assembly and fog lights. The mud flap comes off easy by unscrewing 4-5 screws. The second piece has 4 clips that pop out and it will come out. The third protector has two clips and two screws at the bottom of the front molding.

The white/black arrows are the mud flap screw positions, The red arrows are where the second flap clips are positioned (i got ahead of myself and forgot to take pictures of the pieces themselves:
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3799.jpg

The white arrow is where one of the clips for the last protector is, there is also one right below it and the screws.
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3802.jpg

After this you will be able to acces the two (2) bolts that are holding the back side of the headlight unit in place:
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3804.jpg

Next go to the front and remove the one bolt that are hold the front of the headlight housing in place:
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3789.jpg

And after all the bolts are off the housing it should come right out And that is the write up! Let me know how i did!

-TheMuranoKid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
First two pictures didnt uplaod, here they are!

Right side (facing engine):
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3776.jpg

Left side (facing engine):
How to get to the headlight housing to replace bulbs-img_3777.jpg
post #3 of 22 Old 03-23-2012, 10:32 PM

wait, you just replaced an HID bulb and the grille needs to be taken off? whoa.

previous owner of '12 SL AWD
glacier pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I actually haven't replaced the hid's yet, but im going to be doing that shortly, going to a true diamond white color. I only replaced the side markers last night.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
doesnt sound right that you have to take all that off just for the bulbs, can you just get to them from the fender well, why take all the stuff off the top?

2007 Murano SE AWD
Midnight Blue on Beige
post #6 of 22 Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Why is everyone's car so dirty under the hood? Don't you folks keep things clean under there?

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
post #7 of 22 Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
You have to take everything off the top if you want to pull the housing completly out. And I try to keep everything clean but time is an issue!

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #8 of 22 Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 AM

Garage
O can understand pulling the housing for repairs, but I highly doubt you need to pull the entire housing to change out the bulbs. If you have halogens, you might be able to forego even the wheelwell step. HIDs may be another story.

'03 Silver base model SL AWD, cloth seats
aftermarket Spectre performance air intake kit, tow package, Avid Envigor tires
post #9 of 22 Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otwall View Post
O can understand pulling the housing for repairs, but I highly doubt you need to pull the entire housing to change out the bulbs.
Pet peeve of mine how much work is involved in replacing bulbs, on my A4 I have to remove the entire front bumper to change a turn signal or fog light bulb. You can just about change the headlight bulbs, but even that is a pain.

From what I can tell on the Murano you can either get to them from the wheel well area, or move the washer fluid bottle for passenger side, or air intake for drivers side.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-11-2012, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Whatever happened to the old sealed beam headlights that you just unplugged the whole light and plugged in another? 2 minute job!

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
post #11 of 22 Old 05-11-2012, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Yup! Nissan screwed us on changing headlight bulbs. My 04 350Z had to remove the whole front bumper to remove the headlight housings to get to the actual bulbs. Ridiculous!

2007 Nissan Murano SL - Platinum
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| Nav | Backup Cam | HID | Bose | Leather | Tint | K&N Filter | Custom CF Grille | 22" KMC's on Nitto's | H&R Springs |

post #12 of 22 Old 05-12-2012, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
If it was a easy DIY job, how many shop hours could they charge?

I am always amazed at hours charged by dealers for routine stuff....

2010 Murano LE w/ AWD, Navigation, Weathertech Floorliners,
post #13 of 22 Old 05-13-2012, 03:26 AM

You can skip most of those steps! All of the front lights can be accessed from the front wheel wells (removing the headlight assemblies aren't necessary to replace any of the bulbs; neither is it necessary to remove the grille, front wheels or windshield washer reservoir, as stated in other threads). Just remove the 3 mud flap screws and 2 of the pop-pins near the top of the wheel well. Pop out the mud flap and carefully peel back the liner. This works for halogen and xenon MO's alike.
Parking Bulb replacement
post #14 of 22 Old 05-13-2012, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
To get the bulbs yes you can skip quite a few steps. To pull the housing out, you cant skip any steps.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
post #15 of 22 Old 10-02-2015, 02:44 AM

I know this is an old thread but was looking at how to replace the bulb on my '07 and found this thread. Excellent. Will be doing it this weekend

headlight bulb replacement 2007 murano

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: