Nissan Murano Forum banner

2004 Murano acceleration issue

7K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Cheryl L Kraft 
#1 ·
I started my 04 Murano ,placed it into drive and it would only creep along, not able to accelerate up a steep driveway. Was able to put in reverse and it did go back. a second party tried the same activity ,same result. We turned the engine off, tried to restart, and heard the clicking sound like a dead battery.
I left the car over night, and called for a tow in to morning. When I arrived, I started it up right away, put into drive , and up the hill it went. What issue do I have?
Thanks

#4 ·
A newly discharged lead acid battery can recharge itself enough t start an engine under the right conditions if left alone. However, that is only temporary. Proper voltage is needed to maintain running of all the electronics on the car. Low voltage battery, even if you have a decent charging alternator has been known to cause issues in the Murano. Also, loose battery terminal connections can do the same. Given your description, I tend to agree with pomerlo.

#5 ·
+1 with the fact that a battery can regain sufficient energy overnight......living in a cold country(Canada) it is a phenomenon we can observe quite frequently.

Even in an extreme cold weather(-10 -15F) ......suppose a car is cranked to the point it kills the battery, leave it alone and the morning after..... without recharging it ..... you will have enought energy to crank again.

The heat generated when a high amount of current is pulled from the battery will create a chemical reaction inside the battery and cause the battery to recharge itself.

This is even more likely to happen in a warmer weather.

#8 ·
8/1 update.
Picked up car from dealer. driving home some 40 minutes away, vehicle stops again. Luckily by a shopping center that I could limp into.
Vehicle towed again back to dealership, Service Manager replaced alternator at No Charge since it died on his watch and I had to walk home in 95+ degree weather .
Polmero was correct , it was both the battery and alternator.
My suggestion for the future replace the alternator

#10 ·
I was going to say it was probably the alternator. It is a known problem as well as a recall (at least for the 2003) for faulty alternators.

#11 ·
I had the alternator replaced under this recall on my 04 SE almost 10 years ago too - 11/05 to be exact. I've had zero electrical problems, both before the alternator was replaced and since then. I did change the battery - preventatively, I was getting ready for an extended trip - when the car was 4 years old and had 54K miles on it (9/08). The Optima red top I put in 7 years ago, is still working perfect.

#12 ·
Hello I have a 2004 Murano. When we first bought the vehicle within the first few months there was an electrical harness issues that cause my car to stop driving while on the interstate. Nissan replace the wiring harness. Since then I have replaced the alternator 3 times. This is ridiculous. I have had the dealer replace the alternator they say it is going bad. We have now replaced the battery and the problems are happening again. The alternator appears to take a charge. The car will stop running while driving. The battery is good but is being drained. I have had an engineer review the specifics and they believe it is an issue tied to the wiring harness and a parasitic drain. It appears the car initial problem was never fixed and the replacement of the alternators was an easy thing to tell a woman. I am totally over the Nissan a car I loved. Other than this issue that can kill you while drive you or leave you stranded. Has anyone had similar problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.