Nissan Murano Forum banner

CVT fluid

31K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  RaySk8 
#1 ·
Hi everyone im new to the forum. I live in NC and i own a 03 Murano (my fist nissan ever). One thing i learned quick was about the CVT and i had the following question as i searched the forum for this but all i fount was NS2 fluid. is that the only type of fluid you guys use on these vehicles? ive always added either lucas transmission fluid or seafoam trans tune in my vehicles and its worked wonders. Any guidance on this?

Thanks in advance..

BTW its an awesome car.

#2 ·
My advice: stay ONLY with the Nissan CVT oil. No additives, no messing around. This is not the place to start experiments in oil chemistry.

#4 ·
Pilgrim can you advise me how to check the Transfer Case fluid--I assume it is a dipstick but where is it located? Thanks.

#5 ·
Not a dipstick, it's a screw-in plug that's a pain in the butt to reach. The process is explained here and I'm sure you can find it with a quick search. Probably in the Maintenance forum.

There's a check plug on the driver's side of the transfer case which is difficult to reach - having exactly the right wrench with the right bend angles in the handle really, really helps - and it's a cheap Harbor Freight part. Access is right next to the exhaust, so check it when the car is cold.

#7 ·
Agree on sticking with NS2 Transmission fluid only with no additives. The good news is that there are other options now that are rated NS2. I recently did a complete flush on my 2004 MO SE AWD thanks to instructions on this forum (under Maintenance). I used Valvoline CVT fluid (NS2 rated) at $9.99/qt (versus $19.99 for Nissan brand). Castrol also makes a CVT fluid. Took 11 quarts and a few hours to do right, but glad I did.

To me, the Murano feels more responsive with less lag time on the CVT spinning up to move the car and the gas mileage seems to have improved. The transmission whine I got under heavy load is also gone. I put in the caveats on my impressions because this is all subjective, seat-of-the-pants driving feel. I can't say objectively that the fluid change made the difference, but I was way overdue for a flush per the owner's manual (i.e., I towed quite a bit in the warm months and use a top box for skiing in the winter months - all uses that result in the OM recommending a change of CVT fluid at 60K miles - did mine at 110,500!).

#9 ·
I thought we only mentioned using the Nissan CVT fluid, not any other brand or blend.... Did I miss something?
Maybe. There has been robust discussion about using Nissan brand or other brands. Most on the boards have said its not worth the cost savings to them to use other brands at the risk to the warranty. Given the age of my Murano (well over 11 years old) and mileage (110,500), I'm fine using the Valvoline branded NS2 spec CVT fluid. Valvoline is a reputable company that has been in the lubricants business for decades. If they advertise their fluid as NS2 compatible, then that's good enough for me. That's my personal choice and one you should make for yourself.

Some folks have noted that they stick with Nissan brand because the warranty will be voided if you use another. I can tell you that this statement is legally unenforceable on several levels - first, Nissan cannot dictate a brand of fluid, only a technical specification. Moreover, Nissan has to prove that using another brand of NS2 spec oil caused a CVT failure in order to refuse the warranty. Both of these caveats are mandated by federal law (Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act). Of course, my reason is way more practical - at 11.5 years and 110,500 miles, I'm out of even the extended CVT warranty!

#10 ·
Hmm, to be honest, I thought a stealership could set their own rules.. no matter what. Not saying it's not true but if you took it in under warranty with different fluid in the CVT, I could see them saying its voided..especially if the dipstick says to use Nissan fluid only (not sure what it says exactly but I'll look out of curiosity). Personally, I had my CVT replaced at 96k miles on my 04 SE AWD. I am currently at 186k and well out of any warranty range. This past summer, I did all of my due/overdue maintenance and the car is still running strong. One thing I learned when I was changing out ALL of the fluids and oils was that my CVT that was replaced in 2011 now had 70k+ miles on it...and when inspecting the fluid level then, it was lower than it should have been. Now I'm thinking that if I just checked my first CVT before it blew at 96K miles for the proper fluid level, maybe it wouldn't have blown. I'm guessing that the CVT was super low on its fluid the first time around (but that's just my guess). Being the second owner and throwing on so many miles on it within the first year, I never bothered to check it. Luckily my first CVT was under warranty. Now, with a second CVT in place that has high mileage, I check the thing for its level every couple of months, just to make sure it doesn't drop below the proper level.

#11 ·
yes i did notice the valvoline CVT fluid which i did add to my vehicle i have 143k miles on mine. The reason why i ask is that there is a slight tug or harder shift on the 1st shift on acceleration after a complete or partial stop. Ive never dealt with a CVT before but did notice the price on a replacement (just in case it goes down) is quite more significant than a regular transmission. Ive gotten 200K plus miles out of regular transmissions with lucas transmission fluid but theres really nothing for a CVT.

#12 ·
yes i did notice the valvoline CVT fluid which i did add to my vehicle i have 143k miles on mine. The reason why i ask is that there is a slight tug or harder shift on the 1st shift on acceleration after a complete or partial stop. Ive never dealt with a CVT before but did notice the price on a replacement (just in case it goes down) is quite more significant than a regular transmission. Ive gotten 200K plus miles out of regular transmissions with lucas transmission fluid but theres really nothing for a CVT.
CVTs are a different breed altogether from "regular" transmissions. Rather than 5 or 6 fixed ratios (some up to 8) with a planetary gear set, the CVT uses two tapered gear cones and a belt to form an infinite number of ratios. The fluid/lubrication needs are much different. Early CVTs were also only suitable for light duty use (i.e., small cars). Nissan's use of a CVT in the newly introduced Murano back in 2003 was pretty revolutionary.

With respect to fluids, the CVT is sensitive to fluid level as well as type. First, make sure to use NS2 rated fluid. There's a debate whether you should use only Nissan branded or whether other makes are appropriate. I hew towards the later camp with the caveat that the brand is much less important than ensuring spec (NS2) and general reputableness of the fluid manufacturer. Whether to go with Nissan or not is strictly up to you. Second, make sure you haven't overfilled the fluid. Unless you have a leak in the system, there should be no loss of fluid between check intervals (every 30K miles) or change out intervals (60K if you tow/use a top box/put high loads on the transmission, otherwise maybe not ever!). Too much fluid can be as bad as too little. When I flushed mine out a week ago for the first time at 110,500 miles, I noticed that the level was spot on where it always had been during checks. I added back in the same amount as I pulled out and then did some minor tweaking to get it to the top of the hash marks for "HOT" on the dipstick. In over a week of driving, I have not noticed any downsides. In fact, the car seems more responsive than before.

If you're having problem with yours, I'd recommend checking that you did use Valvoline CVT fluid (vs. regular transmission fluid) and then check the levels. If you still have a problem, your choices are to either flush the fluid entirely and replace with an appropriate CVT fluid (NS2 rated) or take a trip to the dealer's service center.

#13 ·
The small pull in the shift was there before I added the fluid. Thank you for such an amazing reply and help. These vehicles can swallow up some cvt fluid huh? That's a lot. I hope the small pull in shifts isn't anything serious, the fluid does look a little dark it may be time to change it out.

#14 ·
If the fluid is the original Nissan stuff, anything outside of clear (maybe a little slight yellowish tint to it) is most likely overdue. It should basically be clear. I can say that my fluid after all of these miles was still clear after my second CVT..and I put over 70k+ miles on it. Honestly, there is a big debate about the CVT and personally I don't think I'll buy another car with one. From the unresponsive feel, to delay over a regular automatic, to the many problems it runs into as we have seen over the years, I don't believe I want another...and no I am talking about a perfectly healthy CVT having these issues.

Yeah most people sell theirs before they hit 120k miles but I personally have a lot and couldn't imagine replacing it with another one that would cost me the same amount that the car is worth, at this point. Like I said, many might argue this but after doing some uphill towing (small trailer) that was unpleasant to pull and all other issues you hear about them overall, I think I'll pass on another car with a CVT.

#15 ·
@dgram - if you're at 143K miles on original transmission fluid, probably a good idea to change and flush. There are some great instructions on how to do it in the maintenance section of the forums. See http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/68-maintenance/6861-diy-change-your-cvt-fluid.html. Pay particular note to Eric L.'s instructions on page one and Matt G's for flushing on page 4. If you can change your oil, you can change the CVT fluid and even flush it out. Valvoline CVT costs $10/quart. I used 11 quarts. No filter to worry about! Give it a shot and good luck with the fluid change/flush.
@srT4URBO - I hear you on the CVT. Seems an awfully weak part of the powertrain system given all the complaints and Nissan's need to extend the warranty for the transmission alone. I tow regularly with mine (two different boats and a utility trailer - but not at the same time!), use a top box in the winter for skis, and a Stowaway2 large rear hitch box. I put enough stress and load on the car that I installed air shocks to help level the suspension while under load. All of this is within the design specs of the Murano and within factory set limits. That said, I worry about the CVT being able to handle all of this - even as all the jobs are within design spec. So much so that like you, I don't plan on investing in another SUV equipped with a CVT. To me, what's especially telling is that Nissan no longer rates the current generation Murano as capable of towing anything above 1,500 pounds. Pretty piss poor for a car of its size and capacity.

Jim

#16 ·
How does it feel under stress? I tow regularly and was wondering about how it would act. I think that the responsiveness of the vehicle alone is awesome... Compared to fords lol. I will look at the cvt fluid change in the maintenance section thank you very much!!!

#17 ·
I towed a small uhaul this past summer from Chicago to Southern California (just moved out here). Everything was cool in Illinois (where there are ZERO hills anywhere you go in the Chicagoland area). Then I hit Colorado, which was ok to get through until I realized that the remainder of the states from Colorado into California ALL had hills/mountains..and if you think they don't, TRUST ME compared to Chicago, they're all hills/mountains. I didn't think the Murano would make it, but I'll give the car that, it made it without issues. The only thing is that the drive was completely unpleasant. I had full semi fuel tankers catching up to me in the right lane up these hills, where at times they even had to pass me up. I tried to keep the RPM's low because otherwise, I felt like the car was overworking itself.

Like I said, I am VERY happy the Murano made it out here but I wouldn't want to do it again because of how unpleasant the tow was for me. I believe that the engine is somewhat responsive but definetly not the CVT....causing the whole car to drag in my opinion. Hey, I've dealt with it for 5 years, so I don't want to make it seem like I hate the car. I just constantly feel like I have to be very careful with how I drive the car, from the CVT to the horrible front end always needing something replaced (ball joints, tie rod ends, control arms, etc...).

#18 ·
It may state the MO can tow 3500 lbs. but I would never tow anything with this little SUV! You are just asking for trouble! If you want a tow vehicle, get a diesel pickup. :D

#19 ·
Hey, I've dealt with it for 5 years, so I don't want to make it seem like I hate the car. I just constantly feel like I have to be very careful with how I drive the car, from the CVT to the horrible front end always needing something replaced (ball joints, tie rod ends, control arms, etc...).
Yup - my experience too. Love the Murano for its utility, size and 3,500 tow rating (with full load!). My worst tow was for a 3,000lb bass boat package from Ohio back to Virginia through the hills of WVA with just me in the car. Not mountains really when compared to the Rockies. The engine was fine, but there were a few inclines where even with the accelerator floored, I was barely able to make 55mph. 95% of my towing is relatively flat and the Murano mostly does fine. Hot summer days are when the CVT starts to whine. What gets me about all of this is that the car is rated to a max of 3,500lbs with the vehicle fully loaded (four adults and cargo). This means that towing something under that load limit with the driver only should not be an issue. Unfortunately it is a strain.

Like srT4URBO, I love my Murano - so much so that I would rather spend money repairing it versus finding a replacement. Its done its duty for over 11 years and 110K miles. I just hope to get many more years and miles as I don't like anything else out there. Its too bad the CVT ended up being the weakest component. Even Nissan recognized the problems as the spec page for the new 2015 Murano rates towing as only 1,500lbs. Finally, not all of us can afford to buy a pickup truck AND a family hauler so there is definitely demand for a mid-size SUV that can do some towing in the Class II/III range.

#20 ·
Well crap you guys make it sound kinda bad haha. I'm going to flush it out tomorrow. I realized today that it only happens once the cvt is up to operating temp but when it's cold it's great so my guess and i repeat myself "guess" is that the fluid is old maybe has never been changed and when it thins out because of the heat it makes it tug... Or maybe I'm completely wrong and im going to be out of 11 quarts of retarded cvt fluid.

#22 ·
Well crap you guys make it sound kinda bad haha.
I shouldn't be so hard on the Murano. The car has been great for me. No CVT fluid change or add until 110,000 miles. And with the flush/change, it works as good as new with seemingly increased fuel efficiency. I add the concerns only because the CVT does seem to be the largest limiting component on the powertrain. Silly when a traditional multi-speed transmission is much more robust. On my wife's 2001 GM minivan, the transmission (5 speed automatic) was rock solid. Too bad the rest of car was a piece of crap. It went to car auction heaven via CarMax at 125K miles because of the need to rebuild the entire engine (never again GM!!). I also had a conversation with a co-worker/friend that used to be a Nissan tech about my Murano. He said if the CVT and transfer case was good at that point (then 80K miles) and after towing as much as I did, then I got one of the "good" ones and was good to go for quite a while. Seems he saw quite a few "bad" ones!

On the quantities for CVT fluid change, its 5-6 quarts if you simply change out the fluid that's in the pan (drain the CVT pan through the 10mm allen socket drain plug and refill through the dipstick). If you flush the system via the radiator feed tube (highly recommended), its about 10.5 quarts. I purchased 12 to have a 1 quart cushion. Didn't need it after all so just flushed through a bit more than needed and adjusted the final level using the dipstick. Again, follow the instructions on the thread on CVT change in another part of this forum and you'll be fine. Easy to do.

#23 ·
well heres the results... it did take 11 quarts flushing it from the cooler at the bottom of the radiator. It was very quick too as i didnt care to calculate how much came out. Yes i know some of you are hard up on a measuring cup and marking lines, thats your way to cut the cake please let me cut mine. I did exactly what he said on the DIY post - turn on vehicle and let it drain then add a quart until clear fluid comes out that took about 5 times to do and exactly 5 quarts. On the 5th time turning it on i let it run longer than i had before and clear fluid came out what i felt was almost at the end of the fluid. Turned the vehicle off added 4 quarts turned it on and let it get to temp then I added a 5th one and let it get to temp it took just about 6 quarts with tweaking to get it to the top notch of the "hot" portion. Yes i did let the car run for 20 minutes and i drove it every time i added 1/4 of a quart to mix the room temp fluid with the operating temp fluid. Thank you all for your help. The pull it had during down shift isnt quite as noticeable and i hope it corrects itself and if not i can live with it as its not that bad.

Heres a picture of the fluid that came out.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.