Nissan Murano Forum banner

Is this a blown engine? see video! NEED HELP

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Hemi2 
#1 ·
I bought a used 2004 Murano SE with 178 000 km ( 110 000 miles) 5 days ago.

Today I was driving on the high way and then coming in the city at the red light I started hearing a weird noise and lost of power. I shut down the engine and then started it again and alots of noise started happening.

See video

https://youtu.be/F0uur6PFyno

Is this a blown engine? timing chain broken teeth ? timing guide, timing belt tensioneur ? tierod ? cam ? piston ? etc.

This scares me alot.

Thank you , I am new here!

#8 ·
The noises you're hearing are not definitive, but they're bad news.

I can't be sure but I think that is mostly top end noise and maybe accessories like an AC compressor or alternator.

What I'd do is NOT go to a dealer, but to an independent shop that knows Nissan cars. That engine is a 3.5 V6 that's used in darn near every car in the Nissan and Infiniti line - you don't need a dealer to diagnose the problem(s), but you need someone who will take their time to figure it out. If the bottom end of the engine is involved, you'll need a motor.

if the engine requires major work, I'd look at wrecking yards for one out of a wrecked car and have the shop swap it. That MAY be cost-effective, or it may not. I did this in a Jeep Cherokee a few years back for just under $2000 but it was an easier swap than the Murano.

#9 ·
hi , i found a murano for sale , the guy asking 2000$ because there is a problem with the transfer cage , i said 800$ for the whole car cause of the problem and he said yes.

So I can swap the engine .

Is this the normal sound of an engine with 120 000 miles ? Let me know guys before I buy the car from the guy.

Thank you

https://youtu.be/byZ2s3NSdps

https://youtu.be/BOHuAPS3BxI

#14 ·
hi , i found a murano for sale , the guy asking 2000$ because there is a problem with the transfer cage , i said 800$ for the whole car cause of the problem and he said yes.

So I can swap the engine .

Is this the normal sound of an engine with 120 000 miles ? Let me know guys before I buy the car from the guy.

Thank you
I've never heard of a "transfer cage." NO idea what that is. If it's a transfer CASE, then that's not an unusual failure and I can understand why the car is available.

The engine can be swapped, but not in your garage. It comes out the bottom and requires dropping the front sub-frame. A competent shop can do the swap for you, and it won't be cheap.

My advice - find an engine with fewer miles. You're really taking your chances at 120K.

#13 ·
Well should I transfer the engine ? My murano is clean . 2004 Murano SE all equipped leather , copper color. I bought it for 3000$. If I buy this Murano SL for 800$ (since transfer case is bad ) And transfer the engine it will cost me 800$ + 600$. so my total cost 4400$, and it will read 110 000 miles. I will sell for sure the car during spring for 3900$ . so basically loosing 500$. Should I do this, cause if not, I loose my 3000$ completely. Is this bad lifter engine worth transfering? thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.