Hub Assembly replaced - Now my dash lights are on - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Hub Assembly replaced - Now my dash lights are on

Took my 04 Nissan Murano to a shop and had both front hub assemblies replaced. When I got the car back all of my dash lights for various items are now on.

Slip
VDC
ABS
Break
AWD

None of which were on before the replacement. AWD and other things seem to be working fine, however, I am unhappy that these lights are on. I didn't take the car to a Nissan shop as I figured changing out the hub assembly wouldn't be too difficult and the shop locally has really high hourly rates. Wanted to see if this is something I could fix on my own, or get more information to have the local mechanic take a look to get them off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
bd-

Welcome to the forum.

One or both front wheel sensors were damaged when the hubs were replaced. That is not uncommon. The sensors determine wheel rotation/speed and are used by the anti-lock brake system, stability control, etc.

I suggest taking your MO back to the shop and have them check the sensors.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #3 of 14 Old 09-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Yep, take it back. They need to make that right.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
post #4 of 14 Old 09-12-2012, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I would say its one or both of the front sensors as well. Just out of curiosity.. the rear sensors could cause the lights on too correct? I know that is highly unlikely in this case though but is there a way to check which one it could be specifically if none are broken apart? Just curious here because I have that issue at the moment.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
If you live in the rust zone and got lots of it under your car then its gonna be a very expensive consequential damage in the process of removing the hub. Many shops don't own to it with the reasoning that if the sensor is rusted out to a permanent state then nobody can remove that sensor without breaking it. Many post on this matter just search for it. Really depends on each situation but if you don't know yours then its tough luck. Still worth a try to insist that they damaged the sensor that was working before you dropped off the car. Good luck.

srT4urbo, did you have any work done where the sensor needed to be removed recently? Do you live in the rust zone? Any acccidents hitting a debris on the road? Once you have the light its not gonna go away till you fix the sensor. And if you don't know which one it is then you need to pull out each one and compare. Its only held by one small bolt on a bracket.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-12-2012, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
If they did the work, they need to make it right.

My opinion: IF the sensors were so rusted in that replacement was necessary (in other words, damage was not avoidable by their actions) then you should pay for them.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #7 of 14 Old 09-12-2012, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post
If you live in the rust zone and got lots of it under your car then its gonna be a very expensive consequential damage in the process of removing the hub. Many shops don't own to it with the reasoning that if the sensor is rusted out to a permanent state then nobody can remove that sensor without breaking it. Many post on this matter just search for it. Really depends on each situation but if you don't know yours then its tough luck. Still worth a try to insist that they damaged the sensor that was working before you dropped off the car. Good luck.

srT4urbo, did you have any work done where the sensor needed to be removed recently? Do you live in the rust zone? Any acccidents hitting a debris on the road? Once you have the light its not gonna go away till you fix the sensor. And if you don't know which one it is then you need to pull out each one and compare. Its only held by one small bolt on a bracket.

Yes car is all rusty underneath. I replaced the front left wheel hub/bearing recently by myself. There was no way to take the stock sensor out without breaking it and I STILL had to drill a wider hole to fit a new one in because of all the corrosion. The new sensor ($100 from partsgeek) ran fine for a few months. The lights came back on 2 weeks after I got my car back from the dealer with a new transmission installed. I dont see why it would be the sensor I installed as I did a decent job on it with a very snug fit... at least this one I can take out and inspect, the front passenger side sensor will only come off if I repeat the same process but that then will definetly need a new sensor, still not knowing which one is really causing the issue. If I have to, ill take it to the dealer to get an exact diagnostic for their $120 fee and order/replace the specific one need again by myself... this would be the cheapest way to go for me I think.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-17-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
If they did the work, they need to make it right.

My opinion: IF the sensors were so rusted in that replacement was necessary (in other words, damage was not avoidable by their actions) then you should pay for them.

This didn't end up being the case. I took the car to my normal Nissan dealership and they said the hubs were put on upside down, which ended up crushing the sensors.

So I took the car back to the original mechanic, to have him fix it. He ordered new sensors and replaced them. All was good for about 24 hours after they were replaced. I was driving home from work, hit a bump and all the sensors came back on again. I don't know if he would have put them in loose, or if that is possible..?

I want to give him the chance to fix this, but my patience is running thin on the entire process. Just wanted some feedback on them potentially being loose, or if this is something that could be detected if I hooked it up to read the error messages that are produced by the lights.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If you hit a bump and the lights came back on, that tells me they did not fully seat the sensor connectors correctly. Must push on them hard and hear a definitive *click*. Heck, even have them verify with a mirror and light that the connector retainers are fully seated!

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
post #10 of 14 Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM

"...I took the car to my normal Nissan dealership and they said the hubs were put on upside down, which ended up crushing the sensors..."

I recently replaced both front hub assemblies before checking on these forum's. I did not take notice that there is a right way up to install these hubs as they looked completely symmetrical.

I came to the forum's looking for answers about the ABS, Brake, and AWD lights on after replacement, which I now know I must have broken the ABS sensor during removal/replacement. I went back to the trash bin to 're-analyze' the old hub assembly to see if there was a difference and found the notches on the inside were actually different.

Can someone please explain which way is the correct way (single notch up or double notch side up) so when I replace the sensors, I can also take off the assembly to check if I installed right side up.

Thanks guys!
post #11 of 14 Old 12-08-2012, 05:00 AM

joh03342-

I recently replaced my hubs, and if I remember correctly, the ABS sensor is on the right side when facing either tire. And the hub has notches on the 10 and 2 o'clock for the abs sensors; designed to accomodate either left or right wheel. And there's another notch at 6 o'clock i guess for drainage purposes.

There's a post here that explains a technique to remove and install the hub without removing the sensor which worked well for me at least on one side. I broke the other sensor. Ideally they should be removed but if they're rusted out especially the 10mm bolt, it's extremely difficult to remove without damaging it. Anyway, I bought the replacement sensor from ebay for $18. Here's the link --> Murano 03 07 Speed Sensor Front ABS Sensor LH s SE SL Models | eBay .
post #12 of 14 Old 12-08-2012, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Here's a couple of images of my driver side hub / knuckle when I replaced my left axle seal. The darker image shows the sensor mounting spot on the left side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 017.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	17720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 018.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	17721  
post #13 of 14 Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Code Clearing

You guys rock! Thank you both for your help! When I replaced the hubs, I put them both in upside down . I flipped them both this weekend and confirmed that I snapped both ABS sensor tips off and have new ones on the way from partsgeek.com. I could not find any that cheap on ebay, so went with where I ordered my hub assemblies from. It seems to be pretty strait forward on the replacement of the sensors. I already took the time to work out the rusted screws and was able to pull the sensors, so when I actually swap them out it will be a relatively quick job.

My new question is will the ABS, Brake, & AWD lights all turn off automatically once I replace both sensors and drive a bit so when they are reading correctly the lights go off? OR Will I have to stop by the dealer to have the clear the codes manually?
(I have read claims for both scenarios on different forums. Can anyone confirm?)
post #14 of 14 Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh03342 View Post
My new question is will the ABS, Brake, & AWD lights all turn off automatically once I replace both sensors and drive a bit so when they are reading correctly the lights go off? OR Will I have to stop by the dealer to have the clear the codes manually?
(I have read claims for both scenarios on different forums. Can anyone confirm?)
I replaced both sensors when they came in today, was a 20 minute job. Passenger side 5 mins, and drivers side 15 (I had to remove top of filter cover after failing to reach the sensor plug in unit). All lights **** off on initial start on hoist except ABS. After getting it down I drove maybe a half block and ABS light turned off as well. It is automatic for anyone else wondering.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: