Nissan Murano Forum banner

06 Murano SL whine when cold and turning

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  oldAGE 
#1 ·
I am getting a new noise when she is cold. It seems to disappear mostly when she is warmed up.

It's a bit of a whine with a crackle (think shaking marachas) that increases with speed. It seems more evident when turning and loudest or more intense with a left turn.

Once the car is warmed up (because of driving), it seems to disappear. I can still hear it a bit but it's hard to tell with road salt and sand under tire.

Sorry about the quality, I'll try again tomorrow. You can hear the whine get louder about halfway through this 14 second clip and then again at the end. You have to listen too it behind the exhaust sound and the sound of my nylon vest on the cold leather seats. Sorry about that.

https://youtu.be/gIeINYwtqnA

#3 ·
Just slightly. It winds up with acceleration so evidently it needs to be torqued and/or spun. At first I thought power steering since it sort of sounds hydraulic (I used to teach PLC automation and robotics and have listened to thousands of hydraulic pumps in my day). I had my passenger side CV and axle replaced less than a month ago and all seemed fine in the first few weeks. Wondering if something in the CVT is going and if so, I hope so..

#5 ·
OK. I got home and performed a Neutral, not moving, dry turn both hard left and hard right. The only time that I hear any power steering hydraulic pump stress is when holding the wheel hard to the turn. Just releasing the steering wheel allows that stress to subside. Next, I performed a powered off hard left and hard right dry turn. Attached is the photo of my Power Steering Reservoir. Yes, it does seem that my fluid is low. Well below the Cold Min line (I highlighted it red). This is with the car having traveled about four miles in 45 degree temps. Not optimal Operating Temp but definitely not "cold." So, first, I will add some Power Steering fluid to her to bring her at least to Cold Min and better.

Updated: Old PSF removed from reservoir to near empty and replaced with fresh shy of the Cold Max line. We'll see how she rolls tomorrow.

Attachments

#6 ·
So.... It did seem that my fluid may have been too low. Although it was hard to tell this morning due to wet pavement with coarse salt everywhere after an overnight dusting and rapidly falling tempertures. The road noise today is pretty significant. But I listened for that whine and don't think that I heard anything. It's odd that I would not hear it very loudly while turning the wheel when standing still. Isn't that when the power steering assistance is in greatest demand? Anyway... the jury is still out until after a couple of trips over the next couple of days... but right now, things seem to be better.
#10 ·
I know I have a series of leaks. With 115K miles of overly salted WI roads,there's plenty of rot that needs fixing. On the agenda is replacement oil cooler O-ring, oil cooler water lines,oil pan and gasket. What's on my garage floor seems to be motor oil and not red ATF. I will keep an eye on the level and see where it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.