User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#31 Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighNoon View Post
Do you need to remove any of these components to change the primary catalytic converters?
I believe the primarys cats are on the bottom of the engine, so probably not. But I have not done exhaust work on the Murano, however most cats on other cars are attached to the exhaust manifolds near the bottom of the engine; so I do not see a need to remove the intake manifold to change the cats. However, you may have to remove the air intake, radiator, and maybe some hoses to get enough clearance to work, especially without using a lift to help get underneath the Murano.

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose"Wife's"
-But I do all the work on it
K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Power Iridium spark plugs IKH16 .4mm tip"Great MPG's and Power"
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
Front Air Intake Delete
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
2010 Volkswagen CC 3.6 VR6 "Mine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are the 2nd person who told me not to attempt to change the cats without a lift. I'm not afraid to get the Mo off the ground with jack stands and work off the floor on my back. Am I being naive?
#33 Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I've eyeballed the front cats and it looks to me like they're serviceable without a lift - but you may need the jackstands up high. I've done a LOT more work than I care to admit with a car up on jackstands. My 280ZX is up on stands in my garage as I write this.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#34 Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
You are the 2nd person who told me not to attempt to change the cats without a lift. I'm not afraid to get the Mo off the ground with jack stands and work off the floor on my back. Am I being naive?
No, you are not naive. I believe it is easier to work while standing while the car is lifted, but I do work using jack stands also. However, I prefer using a lift.

K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Front Air Intake Delete
#35 Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM

A lot of people will tell you you can't do things that you actually can. Back in 1968 I replaced the rear end 3rd member and the transmission on a '59 Ford, working in a gas station parking lot with a bumper jack, a couple of stumps to prop the car on, and the hand tools in the trunk. It took a long three weeks hitchhiking back and forth between where the car was beached and where I was living.

I sure wouldn't do it again by choice, but with care and determination many things can be done.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#36 Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just don't be stupid about it. If you have the front end up in the air, block off the rear wheels. If you need all 4 corners in the air, use 4 sturdy jack stands. After you get it in the air, push on it on all 4 corners to ensure it's not going anywhere. You don't want the vehicle to come down on you when you're under it.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#37 Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Just don't be stupid about it. If you have the front end up in the air, block off the rear wheels. If you need all 4 corners in the air, use 4 sturdy jack stands. After you get it in the air, push on it on all 4 corners to ensure it's not going anywhere. You don't want the vehicle to come down on you when you're under it.
Simple and accurate.

And if you're not putting the jackstands on a stable base like concrete, do what I do - I keep some chunks of 2x12 handy to put under the jackstands. They are thick enough to provide a stable base when you have to deal with old asphalt that might crumble, or worse, if you have to work on gravel. As a bonus, they also provide another 1 3/4" of lift.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#38 Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I would use at least "3-ton" jack stands to support your Murano if you do use them to support the Murano. Maybe overkill, but I side on the air of caution and would rather use too strong of a support than using one that may not be strong enough.

K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Front Air Intake Delete

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread