User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 29 Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur View Post
Almost the exact same as with my SE that I bought new 10/04, John. I just hit 105K and have had almost zero problems (except for the slight rusting at the rear door seals, and tie rod end, front struts, and 2 minor exhaust repairs). And, let's face it, all but the rust were really wear items on a 7-8 year old car.

Though I'm sure you take good care of your Mo too, I still say you and I are FAR more typical among Murano owners than the few we see on this site with problems. We've discussed here a number of times before, that sites like these don't see a representative sample of owners of any particular make of car.
Question, why do you think that more Muranos do not have problems? I am curious. Not trying to break balls or nothing. But, I see that the problems that the Murano have are common among complainers. Not one person claiming a certain problem here and another owner claiming a diferent problem there, but different owners with the same common problems- seat frames,power steering hose, wheel bearings. I am not saying that the Murano is a bad SUV and that all are defective,but it does have common problems that you and a "few" others avoided. When one person says you are messed up, do not worry about it, but when a lot of people say the same thing about you, you may have to look in the mirror at yourself. Majority rules,well at least in this forum because this is where you go to find out what the hell is wrong with your Murano when it breaks.

2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD Silver w/ Bose"Wife's"
-But I do all the work on it
K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Denso Power Iridium spark plugs IKH16 .4mm tip"Great MPG's and Power"
Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 oil
Front Air Intake Delete
BF Goodrich Longtrail T/A Tour tires
2010 Volkswagen CC 3.6 VR6 "Mine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Angry

Mine takes the cake.

1. Rear Hatch latch corroded.
2. CVT had that awesome acceleration problem that a few have noted.
3. Corroded oil pan
4. Corroded Exhaust manifolds. (both of them)
5. Replaced the Catalytic converter
6. Replaced high pressure steering hose.
7. Replaced both front wheel bearings.
8. Stereo stopped working
9. Alternator caught on fire.
10. Tsunami in Japan! Have to wait 4 months for parts!
11. Dealer orders wrong part!, wait 2 more months
12. While on the dealer lot, car gets broken into by whom? A fellow forum member!
13. Found the ad of my listed parts on Kijji, called Police
14. Caught the superstar, 3rd year medical student!
15. Sold Murano for Scrap.
The End!
post #18 of 29 Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy75 View Post
Question, why do you think that more Muranos do not have problems?

Majority rules,well at least in this forum.
No one is saying that Muranos don't have problems. ALL cars do. But the people who report problems on forums such as this do not represent the majority of Mo owners. Obviously they represent the majority of people with problems on the forum - that's why they are here!!

Of course I'd rather see no reported problems. But I still maintain most of us Mo owners are driving day in, day out, basically problem free. Naturally, we don't see that vast majority here.
post #19 of 29 Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
No one is saying that Muranos don't have problems. ALL cars do. But the people who report problems on forums such as this do not represent the majority of Mo owners. Obviously they represent the majority of people with problems on the forum - that's why they are here!!

Of course I'd rather see no reported problems. But I still maintain most of us Mo owners are driving day in, day out, basically problem free. Naturally, we don't see that vast majority here.
Agreed Nafddur,

But I took care of my 'Mo, it let me down, and many others.

This vehicle just falls apart at an alarming rate after a few years.

My other vehicles never had the alarming amount of issues this car had, not even my Pathfinder. I think Nissan's quality went downhill when they were taken over by Renault, I maybe wrong, but that's what I believe.
post #20 of 29 Old 11-21-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:

I understand what you are saying. True, there are more reliable Murano's on the road that unrelieable Muranos, however SAAB could use that same argument as well as Pontiac, and they both were crappy makes. Far worst than Nissan in build quality, but they could argue that they have more problem free cars than problematic cars on the road. This forum mostly exist because of the trouble areas the Murano has and because owners need help. Look at the Lexus forum, the problem lists and member count is very low. Because, they are more reliable, so people have no need to discuss Lexus cars as much as the Murano. The more problematic the car, the larger the forum. I still like the Murano, but it does has some build quality issues that affect a large number of owners. P.S. I used to be like you and think that people were just complaining about the Murano because it was trouble free for me until this year, and then I got every problem everybody else complained about having. Wheel bearings,power steering hose, broken seat frame- in that order.

K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Front Air Intake Delete
post #21 of 29 Old 11-21-2012, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
I would suggest that one reason the Lexus forums may have fewer owners is that those who buy the Lexus are more prone to having a shop work on their car than trying to find DIY solutions on the Internet. There are definite lifestyle (and income) differences between Nissan and Lexus owners.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #22 of 29 Old 11-22-2012, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I would suggest that one reason the Lexus forums may have fewer owners is that those who buy the Lexus are more prone to having a shop work on their car than trying to find DIY solutions on the Internet. There are definite lifestyle (and income) differences between Nissan and Lexus owners.
And I am sure same would be true for Infinity (made by Nissan) as well. Less problems reported on forums like this does not mean better cars. I doubt luxury division was ever intended for the DIY or car enthused groups.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
post #23 of 29 Old 11-22-2012, 05:21 PM

True enough. I also hang out occasionally on some BMW forums - there are tons of guys on there who are digging into BMWs (a high end vehicle), but mainly the older cars in the 3 and 5-series which have aged a bit and gotten to a price point where younger drivers can get them. They are also MUCH, MUCH easier to work on than any FWD/transverse engine car.

If I have the choice, the Murano will be the last FWD-based, transverse engine car I buy. There's just no room to work on much of anything. I could do a clutch or most anything else on my wife's 325i.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #24 of 29 Old 11-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebelkhan View Post
And I am sure same would be true for Infinity (made by Nissan) as well. Less problems reported on forums like this does not mean better cars. I doubt luxury division was ever intended for the DIY or car enthused groups.
What I am saying is that a car that has problems will piss off owners and have owners looking for a solution on the forums. Look at the forums of any make, usually the problem areas have stickys or how-to write-ups as well as treads that discuss particular problems.Some makes are better built than others, I did not say that Lexus is a better car to own. I chose an Infinti FX45 over the Lexus RX350 due to the Lexus being a bore to drive, but the Lexus is quietier and more polished than my FX45. The FX45 is the better choice for a fun and sportier SUV. I own an Infiniti FX45 and use the FX forums to trouble shoot problems the FX has. Mostly sensors problems and oil consumption problems. My FX45 is much easier to work on than the Murano, and I work on both. I even have to remove my passenger's side wheel on the Murano to remove the oil filter, however on the FX45 I just remove the front underbody protector and change the oil without having to lift it up even though the Murano has a higher ground clearance. So, DIY can be done on luxury cars. A part is a part, no matter the make. Some german makes require speciality tools-Volkwagens, but once you have the tools it is like any other car.No car maker design their cars to be DIY.

K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Front Air Intake Delete
post #25 of 29 Old 11-23-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Most owners who have a newer car, luxury or not ,will not work on their own cars because of having a powertrain warranty. Most DIY are owners who get the cars after the warranty expired. BMW and Mercedes have a large DIY population and forum support. Both makes are luxury cars. I use Lexus as an example because Lexus is the most reliable make of any car make, luxury or not. Most DIY concerns on the Lexus forums are concerned with tinted taillights and dead batteries. I remember when I was reseaching a little about the Lexus RX350 on the forums, most owners was only concerned about doing oil changes on the RX350 on the forums with little to no complaints about weird noises and problems unlike most of the other car forums. However, Lexus cars are still boring as hell though, except for the IS cars.

K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Front Air Intake Delete
post #26 of 29 Old 11-23-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy75 View Post
What I am saying is that a car that has problems will piss off owners and have owners looking for a solution on the forums. Look at the forums of any make, usually the problem areas have stickys or how-to write-ups as well as treads that discuss particular problems.
I agree with this - it's oneof the great strengths of the Internet and of forums. It's wonderful to be able to visit places like this and get so much info. And I also agree that FWD and luxury cars can be worked on by the owner - if they have the skills and the place to do so.

However, it's also true that many people today just don't have a clue how to DIY on cars. My personal observation is that this tends to be true with higher-end vehicles, and that an increasing number of driver depend on factory and extended warranties, discarding the vehicle when their warranty expires. Of course, as you pointed out, the next owner is more likely to be a DIY type.

For that matter, what's an apartment or condo dweller with no other work area than a parking space going to do? About all they can do is oil changes or simple maintenance that requires only a few hours, and even then owner's associations may have rules which prohibit working on your car in the parking area.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #27 of 29 Old 11-23-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
For that matter, what's an apartment or condo dweller with no other work area than a parking space going to do? About all they can do is oil changes or simple maintenance that requires only a few hours, and even then owner's associations may have rules which prohibit working on your car in the parking area.
True, I been there and done that in my old apt.'s parking lot. I had to make sure it will not rain that day I was going to do work on the car, and also I had to make sure that kids playing in the parking lot did not get too close to my car while it was on stands. I do not miss those days.

K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Front Air Intake Delete
post #28 of 29 Old 11-24-2012, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox302 View Post
And one minor thing, even the dealer can't fix it. It squeal when we move from a start, after let go I'd the brake. Sounds like a duck under the hood.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I have the same squeal, what the heck is it ????????

sounds like something other than breaks, transmission? i have no clue

2007 Murano SE AWD
Midnight Blue on Beige
post #29 of 29 Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei3333 View Post
I have the same squeal, what the heck is it ????????

sounds like something other than breaks, transmission? i have no clue
If you are reversing the Murano while it squeal,it is the rear parking brakes binding a little due to a rusty spring in the rear rotor. Changing the parking brake spring or lubicating the spring and assembly may help. My wifes Murano squeals everytime she reverses the Murano after it sits for a while.

K&N air filter
K&N oil fillter 1008
Front Air Intake Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version