User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-17-2012, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Motorized power steering column in the process

Hello fellow Murano owners out there,
I have been wondering this for a while and because I cannot keep still for more then 10 minutes I have decided to take on a new challenge. I have successfully completed my heated wheel project, OEM LED module with taillights and the OEM reverse camera integration(on an 04 which included LOTS more work then a prewired ont) and have figured why not try to retrofit the Maxima power steering column in to the murano. From what I have seen visually comparing the 2 vehicles (mechanically and electrically) this should work no problem. My MO is fitted with memory/electonic seats and pedal position unit making my project a whole lot easier.
From the electronic point of view the memory unit controls everything. From the switch to the memory unit to the motors as shown here in these diagrams

The Murano wiring is identical in and out puts to the control unit as listed here

So far I have managed to source out all parts locally through the scrap yard for about 160$ CDN. This includes the column, the wiring to the column, the trim around the steering column and the switch needed to control the motor. Motors and sensors were part of the column. I have tested the motors and they work flawlessly. Now I just need to find some time to do the actual work and get this working. This will be documented just like my heated wheel project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
This is definitely a first on this forum. I do not beleive anyone else has undertaken such a project.

Please post pics of the installation and let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM

I'm hoping that tonight I will have some time to look at it. I now know where the automatic memory unit sits for the seats and it all seems to be in the same area. I will post up pics when I go through this. So far everything looks promising.

Sofar the hardest part is going to be getting the sheer bolts off that hold the ignition in place
#4 Old 11-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Quick update. Having some minor issues which I will be attempting to fix. Wont be easy but will be worth it. if I can get it working.
the location of the automatic drivers position control unit is underneath the drivers kick panelwhen looking upwards

Heres is a picture of the relays that I removed to access the control unit to add in all of the wiring

Here is a picture of all the wiring that has been put in the oem connectors to be able to control the unit

After doing all of this I pulled down the kick panel, and the guard plate infront of the steering shaft column. I did not get any pics on this as it was late at night when I was attempting all of this. I remmoved the entire steering column assembly out of the car and put the maxima unit in its place unfortunately the maxima peice is slightly shorter.
Heres a pic of it

All in all doing a quick test electronically something is not working so i will have to look in to this some more until I come up with a solution. It is recognizing the switch movements hoverver the column is not moving. My hunch is that one of the sensors for the motors is malfunctioning. Icf 1 does not work then the other will also not work for some reason
#5 Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Wow, this is another of these projects that I would never consider attempting. I admire your tenacity on this. I hope it all goes well and that the blasted thing works!

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#6 Old 12-30-2012, 11:04 PM

Subscribed =)

I have an 06 Max, and its a wonderful feature.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: