LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#46 Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 PM
HVT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BANSwee View Post
Just want butt-in, sometimes when my steering wheel is angled too much on a turn (or some other driving scenario where AWD should act automatically)-- it would slip the front tires and I can feel I don't move an inch. YES! there is seconds dead stop before AWD engages automatically.

IDK if anyone experienced this but my point I want to convey is-- I don't think it's 50/50 distribution from a dead stop.
I don't know exactly when this started but on 2nd gen Muranos, it's 50/50 AWD from a dead stop and 30/70 in turns fast enough to be controlled by the G sensor.
The easy way to tell is floor it from a stop light in the rain or in snow. Very obvious.

Nav
Chromed stainless rear bumper protector
Retrofit 5k HIDs
235/65-18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVT View Post
I don't know exactly when this started but on 2nd gen Muranos, it's 50/50 AWD from a dead stop and 30/70 in turns fast enough to be controlled by the G sensor.
The easy way to tell is floor it from a stop light in the rain or in snow. Very obvious.
Even though I have a heavy foot, given the design of the transfer case, I would not encourage doing this very often in first generation Muranos. Flooring it on a slippery surface does hit the transfer case harder than incidental slippage from moderate acceleration. I don't suggest that the transfer case can't handle it, but that going to maximum loads repeatedly taxes the longevity of systems like this.

I try to be moderate when playing games with Murano, just out of respect for the drivetrain.

When I had a 66 GTO, I admit that I made some runs power-shifting it (right foot holds the gas pedal on the floor, then shift really fast and leave rubber strips when the next gear engages). It was tons of fun (including the 10 feet of rubber I could get going into 4th gear) but that doesn't mean it wasn't hard on the transmission, rear end and U-joints. Not something to be repeated often unless you're willing to break out the wrenches. A Murano is a much harder vehicle to work on than a '66 GTO.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#48 Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 PM
HVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Even though I have a heavy foot, given the design of the transfer case, I would not encourage doing this very often in first generation Muranos. Flooring it on a slippery surface does hit the transfer case harder than incidental slippage from moderate acceleration. I don't suggest that the transfer case can't handle it, but that going to maximum loads repeatedly taxes the longevity of systems like this.

I try to be moderate when playing games with Murano, just out of respect for the drivetrain.

When I had a 66 GTO, I admit that I made some runs power-shifting it (right foot holds the gas pedal on the floor, then shift really fast and leave rubber strips when the next gear engages). It was tons of fun (including the 10 feet of rubber I could get going into 4th gear) but that doesn't mean it wasn't hard on the transmission, rear end and U-joints. Not something to be repeated often unless you're willing to break out the wrenches. A Murano is a much harder vehicle to work on than a '66 GTO.
I'm not too familiar with the 1st gen Muranos but from what I've read here, I have to agree with you. Mine is a 2011 and starts in AWD from a start. My suggestion was for 2ndgen owners only.

Nav
Retrofit 5k HIDs
#49 Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2007 Murano awd was stuck on a snow bank last year that was about 1 foot high and very frozen. With the lock button depressed and indicator light on the right tires on muddy ground and the driver side on the snow the driver side would spin and the right side would not turn. So far there has been no concise answer that this is normal.
#50 Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 AM
HVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierex View Post
My 2007 Murano awd was stuck on a snow bank last year that was about 1 foot high and very frozen. With the lock button depressed and indicator light on the right tires on muddy ground and the driver side on the snow the driver side would spin and the right side would not turn. So far there has been no concise answer that this is normal.
Normal. AWD, on the Murano, only locks the front to the back....not side to side unfortunately. It'll act just like a 4WD truck with open front and rear diffs. I should now add that the TCS does brake a slipping wheel to send power to the other side but not sure how well it works.

Nav
Retrofit 5k HIDs
#51 Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVT View Post
Normal. AWD, on the Murano, only locks the front to the back....not side to side unfortunately. It'll act just like a 4WD truck with open front and rear diffs.
Yes, in that regard it's just like many trucks and 4WD vehicles.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#52 Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In extreme situations you can also use left foot braking along with the accelerator pedal to attempt to stop a spinning wheel and transfer power to the other wheel. This is essentially what happens in cars that use braking for traction control.

I haven't tried it in the Murano yet so not sure if it'll work since most newer cars cut power when the brake is depressed due to liability from unintended acceleration.
#53 Old 12-17-2012, 01:56 PM

Ah yes, unintended-foot-on-throttle is still with us.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#54 Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
HVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayH View Post
In extreme situations you can also use left foot braking along with the accelerator pedal to attempt to stop a spinning wheel and transfer power to the other wheel. This is essentially what happens in cars that use braking for traction control.

I haven't tried it in the Murano yet so not sure if it'll work since most newer cars cut power when the brake is depressed due to liability from unintended acceleration.
There's no need to use the brakes with Murano. The TCS uses the ABS sensors to detect a slipping wheel forcing some power to the opposing side. Now I have the same feature on my Nissan Titan (Nissan calls it Active Brake Limited Slip or ABLS) and it works fairly well. I've never tried it on the Murano..mostly because when the weather's bad, we drive the Titan.

Nav
Retrofit 5k HIDs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: